dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
. I realize Cooper Rush (as is Helen Moore) is Garrett’s scion and talks about “well that was me too” but come on, Rush is not an answer to any competent NFL QB question. Rush shouldn’t even be in the league right now.

Moore was a huge Mike White guy, and White is immensely more talented than Rush. I bet Rush doesnt make the team this year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Somehow I deleted my previous post of this.

Was saying the below is a big part of why Hill could still land in the 2nd rd despite only starting a game last year. He does have some really impressive explosion and athletic traits, and the explosion definitely shows up in the clips you see on him.

------------------Player------------Hill------------F Cox-----------A Donald ---------Q Williams
ARMS -----------------------------33 3/8”--------34 1/2"------------ 32 5/8"------------33 1/4"
HANDS ---------------------------10 1/4”--------10 3/8" --------------9 7/8"-------------9 5/8"
40 Yard Dash --------------------5.04 ------------4.79 ---------------4.68---------------4.83 SEC
Bench Press ---------------------28 ---------------30----------------- 35-----------------------REPS
Vertical Jump --------------------35.0 -------------26 ---------------- 32-----------------30.5 IN
Broad Jump ----------------------115.0 -----------103 ----------------116 -------------112.0 IN
3 Cone Drill ------------------------7.7 ------------ 7.07---------------7.11-------------------- SEC
20 Yd Shuttle ---------------------4.38 ----------- 4.53 ---------------4.39------------------- SEC

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
2019 Cowboys UDFA Tracker

Player
Position School
Daniel Wise DT Kansas
Chris Westry CB Kentucky
Jon'Vea Johnson WR Toledo
Jalen Guyton WR North Texas
Brandon Knight OL Indiana
Ricky Walker DT Virginia Tech
Justin Phillips LB Oklahoma State
Luke Gifford LB Nebraska
Mitch Hyatt OT Clemson
Derrick Puni OL Central Missouri
Andrew Dowell LB Michigan State
Nate Hall LB Northwestern
Larry Allen Jr OL Harvard

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Larry's kid added as an UDFA.

I hope the kid is good enough to actually make the team

That would be a cool story for him to be able to follow in his dads footsteps

I just hope they don’t keep him around if he doesn’t deserve to be here

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I hope the kid is good enough to actually make the team

That would be a cool story for him to be able to follow in his dads footsteps

I just hope they don’t keep him around if he doesn’t deserve to be here

I think the best hope for him is the PS this year. He isn't big enough or strong enough right now to handle the NFL right now. Also for reasons I haven't seen explained he left school in 2017 and DNP that season.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
NFC East
Dallas Cowboys
Picks:
UCF DT Trysten Hill; Penn State OG Connor McGovern; Memphis RB Tony Pollard; Miami CB Mike Jackson; Miami DE Joe Jackson; Texas A&M S Donovan Wilson; Ohio State RB Mike Weber; Oregon OLB Jalen Jelks
Best pick: Pollard
None of their picks blew our hair back, but Pollard has a chance to be a spark plug immediately. He’s not going to be an advanced player right away, as he came from a simple, favorable offense at Memphis where he was often single-covered (or running through gaping holes) in a mismatch scheme. But his natural receiving and return ability are nice assets, and Pollard’s burst can give the offense a different look in one or two series a game while giving Ezekiel Elliott a breather.
Worst pick: Hill
He frankly landed in the perfect system for his skills, but Hill enters the NFL as a confounding prospect in some ways. An inconsistent college career – capped by him losing his starting spot with the new staff at UCF – gives us the willies a bit, and this is the type of player the Cowboys have missed on from time to time. We’ll see if Rod Marinelli can unlock Hill’s intriguing rush potential and nice get-off, but we’re just a little skittish about his safety level.
Overall: This class must be mentioned along with Amari Cooper’s contributions, and at age 24 he’s already an established difference maker. He proved to be well-worth the price Dallas paid in a small sample last year and we believe will continue making that trade look smart. But after Cooper, the allure wears off some. Both Jacksons were nice picks where they got them, and McGovern and Pollard look like they can help immediately. Was it an amazing haul, even with Cooper? No. But it wasn’t too shabby either.
Grade: C+

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
NFL.com:

Dallas Cowboys
Draft picks: UCF DT Trysten Hill (No. 58 overall); Penn State OG Connor McGovern (No. 90); Memphis RB Tony Pollard (No. 128); Miami CB Michael Jackson (No. 158); Miami DE Joe Jackson (No. 165); Texas A&M S Donovan Wilson(No. 213); Ohio State RB Mike Weber (No. 218); Oregon Edge Jalen Jelks (No. 241)
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: A
Draft analysis: Amari Cooper showed what he could become when teaming with Dak Prescott last year. Yes, Dallas gave up a first-round pick to get him, but let's remember -- he's just 24 years old, not a veteran who will be in his 30s before too long. If the team can't sign him to a long-term deal, then the grade gets adjusted downward, but I don't see that happening.

Replacing David Irving just got easier with Hill bringing his quick get-off to Dallas. McGovern could play guard or center, depending on the health of veteran pivot Travis Frederick. Pollard's versatility as a runner, receiver, and kick returner made him a solid fourth-round pick. The two Jacksons from Miami are great values. Michael Jackson is a big corner who could take over for Byron Jones if he departs in free agency after the 2019 season, and Joe Jackson is an underrated power rusher. Weber gives the Cowboys another former Buckeye RB -- he will take pressure off of Zeke.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
CNNSI

Dallas Cowboys

2 (58). Trysten Hill, DT, UCF
3 (90). Connor McGovern, G, Penn State
4 (128). Tony Pollard, RB, Memphis
5 (158). Michael Jackson Sr., CB, Miami (Fla.)
5 (165). Joe Jackson, DE, Miami (Fla.)
6 (213). Donovan Wilson, S, Texas A&M
7 (218). Mike Weber, RB, Ohio State
7 (241). Jalen Jelks, DE, Oregon

As many Cowboys fans Twitter have reminded us, the team’s first-round pick this year was essentially Amari Cooper. That Raiders trade left Dallas with the 26th pick in the second round as its first selection, and using it to replace self-exiled defensive tackle David Irving made sense. Like Irving, Trysten Hill has an excellent first step—important in Dallas’s gap-shooting scheme, which emphasizes not just quick penetration but also multidirectional D-line slants and stunts, demanding that front line players fire off quickly at different angles.

The Connor McGovern pick could prove valuable if right tackle La’el Collins, in a contract year, is deemed unworthy of a lucrative second deal. Or, more likely, McGovern could one day replace last year’s second-round pick Connor Williams, who looks and plays much too light and might not have the anchor strength to survive long-term at left guard.

The rest of the draft was about acquiring depth in a defense that has 11 contributors who are in the last year of their contracts. Oh, and acquiring depth behind offensive headliner Ezekiel Elliott (fourth-round running back Tony Pollard), which this team hasn’t had since Darren McFadden and Alfred Morris in 2017.

GRADE: B

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
does la'el collins count in the comp pick formula ?

next year, dallas is not going to be able to ...(nor should they)... re-sign or franchise collins.

they gotta be getting a 3rd round comp pick w/ the contracts free agent tackles get , right ??

Top Bottom