Reaction score
The Cowboys had a rare chance to put a top tier QB prospect through his paces on the practice fields of the Senior Bowl. Wouldn't it be something if the team chose to select another player at #4 and then spent the next dozen years or so watching Wentz have a fine career as a franchise QB elsewhere? It'd sting more than missing out on Randy Moss. ... the post-Romo Cowboys, struggling through inferior QB play, watching from afar as Wentz proves himself to be the competent QB that the Cowboys are so desperate find after the entirely predictable retirement of Romo.

I almost expect this to happen. Not because I have some sort of special insight on Wentz or Jack (I don't), but because this is exactly the sort of shit this franchise does to itself.

Reaction score
The Cowboys had a rare chance to put a top tier QB prospect through his paces on the practice fields of the Senior Bowl. Wouldn't it be something if the team chose to select another player at #4 and then spent the next dozen years or so watching Wentz have a fine career as a franchise QB elsewhere? It'd sting more than missing out on Randy Moss. ... the post-Romo Cowboys, struggling through inferior QB play, watching from afar as Wentz proves himself to be the competent QB that the Cowboys are so desperate find after the entirely predictable retirement of Romo.

I almost expect this to happen. Not because I have some sort of special insight on Wentz or Jack (I don't), but because this is exactly the sort of shit this franchise does to itself.

I made a similar prediction recently because like you say, this is the shit this franchise does to itself all the time. I've been unable to convince some others elsewhere that this is not about an immediate impact player. This is about the future of the franchise and avoiding a repeat of the post Aikman years. This team is too far from competing for a Super Bowl in 2016 so no player is going to have much of an impact out of the draft. Simply too many holes to fill, so why not grab the next QB? It's not like he's going to just sit there because Romo is one hit away from done, or at least out for considerable time, and it would be great if the heir apparent got those snaps in relief. To me this is an easy decision.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
But what about the post Brandon Carr years? A top CB (or is he a safety) should be priority over a QB. Everyone knows that top CB's always win the Super Bowl, not QB's.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score

God dammit.
With 3 of the top 67 picks,why do I expect us to end up with a punter,another Gronkowski brother who sucks and a sack of magic beans?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I don't expect Wentz to be available when we pick. The Browns will take him at 2 and if they didn't (take Goff instead) I firmly expect the Niners, Eagles or Rams to move up with San Diego to take Wentz. Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if they took a QB themselves, they drafted Rivers with Brees still on the roster in 2004.

That's why I'm a proponent of trading up to get Wentz (or Goff if they prefer him) with the 1st pick overall.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I don't expect Wentz to be available when we pick. The Browns will take him at 2 and if they didn't (take Goff instead) I firmly expect the Niners, Eagles or Rams to move up with San Diego to take Wentz. Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if they took a QB themselves, they drafted Rivers with Brees still on the roster in 2004.

That's why I'm a proponent of trading up to get Wentz (or Goff if they prefer him) with the 1st pick overall.

That's exactly what Brad Sham just said on The Fan.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That's exactly what Brad Sham just said on The Fan.

If they believe one of those guys is a franchise QB, its 100% the right move as long as we don't go overboard with what we give up, and I don't think we'd have to.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If they believe one of those guys is a franchise QB, its 100% the right move as long as we don't go overboard with what we give up, and I don't think we'd have to.

That's what he said at the end of his interview. How much is the team willing to give up if they believe Wentz is a franchise QB.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think if the Cowboys wanted to trade up, they could get a deal done with something like this years 1st and 4th, next years first and maybe Ronald Leary.

They (Titans) supposedly want out of the pick pretty bad. I doubt they want to drop down too far though so that gives us an edge there over teams like SF, Philly or LAR

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think if the Cowboys wanted to trade up, they could get a deal done with something like this years 1st and 4th, next years first and maybe Ronald Leary.
I'm not on board with the idea that Jerry absolutely won't take a QB because he's so in win-now mode, but I am on board that he'd never give up that much for one.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'm not on board with the idea that Jerry absolutely won't take a QB because he's so in win-now mode, but I am on board that he'd never give up that much for one.

He gave up two 1st for a WR (twice). I don't think it would be beyond him to give that up for a player he thinks is a franchise QB. Hell if it wasn't for Stephen he'd of probably given that up for Manziel.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Once, for Galloway, and that wasn't a #4 overall. Not all first round picks are created equal.

True, but I'm sure you agree that the value of a franchise QB is higher than the value of a borderline pro-bowl WR.

My mistake about giving up two #1's for Roy. It was actually a 1st, 3rd, and a 6th. Still WAY too much for a WR.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Sure a QB is worth more than a WR. Tons more. But to Jerry, those trades were to put us over the top with an impact player. In this case the player wouldn't play at all.

I'm not saying trading up would necessarily be a terrible idea. This is about how Jerry is thinking.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Sure a QB is worth more than a WR. Tons more. But to Jerry, those trades were to put us over the top with an impact player. In this case the player wouldn't play at all.

I'm not saying trading up would necessarily be a terrible idea. This is about how Jerry is thinking.

I get you. We could be here all day and go through a million different scenarios trying to figure out what Jerry is thinking. I don't think he even knows what he's thinking half the time.

Top Bottom