Reaction score
(from: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ )

Claiborne And Carr Answer Challenge Against Giants WRs

Rowan Kavner DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – The challenge of facing two of last season’s top-10 leading receivers never seemed to overwhelm rookie cornerback Morris Claiborne.

Giants wideouts Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz combined for 10 catches, 96 yards and no touchdowns on Wednesday against the Cowboys secondary. In two games against Dallas last year, the duo combined for 25 catches, 491 yards and two scores.

Despite facing two of the most dynamic receivers in football, Claiborne said he was cool and comfortable, and had no butterflies in his first NFL game.

“I believe that when you play the position that I play, you have to be confident,” Claiborne said. “You have to go out with a lot of swag and you have to feel like you’re that guy. I take a lot of pride in that.”

Claiborne was tested on the first play of the game. Eli Manning targeted Nicks on an incomplete pass down the left sideline between Claiborne and safety Barry Church. Claiborne said he knew he’d get challenged more than he had in any preseason game, and he was up to the task.

“I was expecting them to come back the next time,” Claiborne said. “Every time I lined up, I was thinking, ‘This ball is coming to me.’”

Head coach Jason Garrett said he thought Claiborne’s history playing in the Southeastern Conference’s marquee matchups would help him against the Giants. Claiborne never seemed awestruck by the magnitude of the NFC East rivalry.

“They caught some passes on him, but that's the nature of the NFL, and the big thing when you're a corner is when they do have some success against you, what do you do the next play?” Garrett said. “I thought he did a good job of coming back and competing in the game.”

Cruz, who caught 82 passes for 1,536 yards last season, dropped three passes and never seemed himself against a remodeled Cowboys secondary, featuring offseason pickup Brandon Carr.

The longest pass play of the game came on a difficult 39-yard grab from Manning to Domenik Hixon, which Brandon Carr could have intercepted if he had timed his jump better. Besides that catch and a 26-yard play to Cruz, the Giants rarely got behind the Cowboys defense.

“Every time I had an opportunity to go out there and get a one-on-one opportunity with Cruz, or any receivers out there, I tried to make the best of it,” Carr said.

Eli Manning finished with 213 yards passing and one touchdown. In two games last year, he threw for a combined 746 yards and five touchdowns.

Carr and Claiborne confirmed Wednesday why they were added to the Cowboys roster in the offseason.

“Certainly, we made adjustments to try to be better against a team like the Giants or Philadelphia in the future,” said owner Jerry Jones after the game. “This has been on our mind a long time.”

Reaction score
I think also playing up on the receivers and disrupting the timing of the routes helped out considerably.

We're fortunate enough to have corners capable of doing that and not getting burned.

Reaction score
“Certainly, we made adjustments to try to be better against a team like the Giants or Philadelphia in the future,” said owner Jerry Jones after the game. “This has been on our mind a long time.”

Nnamdi Asomugha comes to mind.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Not watching the backside of Newman's jersey trying to play catch up or futilely chasing a Giants receiver down the field was a welcome change.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Not watching the backside of Newman's jersey trying to play catch up or futilely chasing a Giants receiver down the field was a welcome change.

Or seeing Newman being hurdled. But as we are grateful for Carr and Claiborne, we should be even more for DB coach Henderson.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Nnamdi Asomugha comes to mind.

I'm glad it worked out the way it did. I think NA would have helped us last yr and we'd have probably made the playoffs, but long term Carr is alot younger and has his best years now and for the next few, where as NA seemed to already be slipping some last year for Philly. We also ended up with Claiborne, who I think is gonna be really good for eyars to come.

Top Bottom