touchdown

Defense Wins Championships
Reaction score
Cargo Ship strikes Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge causing great collapse

Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Scott_Key_Bridge_collapse

The ship involved, Dali, is a Singapore-registered cargo vessel. The 229-metre-long (751 ft) ship left Baltimore at 01:00 EDT for Colombo, Sri Lanka.[8] It struck a column of the bridge at 01:27 EDT. The bridge strike and collapse was recorded on video.[9] The bridge broke apart in several places following the collision.[10] A Baltimore City Fire Department (BCFD) spokesperson said vehicles were on the bridge at the time it collapsed, including one that was the "size of a tractor-trailer". The Dali caught fire and appeared to sink,[6] with a section of the bridge landing on its front part.[7]

touchdown

Reaction score
Port of Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland USA | StreamTime LIVE YouTube Channel

daboyz

👀
Reaction score
I mean WTF?

Almost had to be intentional didnt it?
I've been listening to the news all morning. The update thus far is the cargo ship "lost power" & was unable to avoid the bridge. There were workers on the bridge at the time as well. Also, 20 people are unaccounted for. Two people were recovered & it in critical condition. The water temp is 47'.

Daybreak brought the Key Bridge collapse into vivid detail for Baltimore's residents.
Hunks of the bridge's steel rods, now twisted, draped over the container ship that crashed into it. A large portion of the span has sunk into the waters below.
A view of the Dali cargo vessel which crashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge causing it to collapse in Baltimore, Maryland, U.S., March 26, 2024.  REUTERS/Julia Nikhinson

(Reuters/Julia Nikhinson) (Reuters / Reuters)
A view of the Dali cargo vessel which crashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge causing it to collapse in Baltimore, Maryland, U.S., March 26, 2024.  REUTERS/Julia Nikhinson

Click here for more photos of the aftermath.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah there's one video available now that shows the lights go off twice before impact, but they do come back on right before.

They also have a report out on X that says the ship's crew called in to MDOT immediately after leaving the port saying they lost power and a collision was possible. It doesn't say how long that is before the collision though.

To me that seems odd because if they called it in, wouldnt there be swarms of emergency responders out there in boats/ships and helicopters? Certainly do not see any in the videos they've put out so far.

It also doesnt really explain how the ship seemingly makes a hard turn right into the column.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think this was intentional but I certainly don't have all the facts. But I do think this gives a blueprint for terrorists allowed into our country by this fradulent regime to unleash chaos. There's definately a vulnerability in our infrastructure and is someone decided to set off a suicide bomb in the middle of the Lincoln and Holland Tunnels, simultaneously, it would shut down NYC for years and cause chaos. And how hard would it be for these radicals to hijack these ships and target bridges? We're in deep shit.

daboyz

👀
Reaction score
Thank goodness this catastrophe didn't happen during rush hour. Officials said in a news conference that a mayday had been issued before the collision, which allowed officials to stop traffic onto the bridge. Officials did not clarify how many vehicles were on the bridge at the time of the collapse.

A total of eight construction workers who were fixing potholes on the bridge fell into the Patapsco River below. Two people have since been rescued. Can you imagine the driver sitting in his truck in the picture below (not the clearest picture but other pictures show him sitting in the truck)?! Prayers to the survivors & families of those who lost their lives! 1711471072475.png

touchdown

Reaction score
Yeah there's one video available now that shows the lights go off twice before impact, but they do come back on right before.

They also have a report out on X that says the ship's crew called in to MDOT immediately after leaving the port saying they lost power and a collision was possible. It doesn't say how long that is before the collision though.

To me that seems odd because if they called it in, wouldnt there be swarms of emergency responders out there in boats/ships and helicopters? Certainly do not see any in the videos they've put out so far.

It also doesnt really explain how the ship seemingly makes a hard turn right into the column.
Watching the video, to me, it seemed that the ship stopped it's forward motion, as if it was in reverse, but then, the ship started moving toward the bridge and hit the support, causing the complete collapse of the that part of the bridge.

There were workers in vehicles on the bridge at the time.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
so if i understand this correctly, your choices are to: pay more for insurance to carry guns on your boat, pay someone else with guns and a boat to follow you for protection, or good luck getting where you need to go

who knows what supply chains this is going to effect

i read they re-routed all the other boats that are waiting to get into the harbor to virginia. now virginia is going to be overwhelmed and for who knows how long, probably weeks to months of backlog was just incurred

touchdown

Reaction score
This is how you shore up bridge supports...

Skyway Bridge - Florida

Skyway Bridge Florida.jpg

daboyz

👀
Reaction score
This is how you shore up bridge supports...
Skyway Bridge - Florida
Not so fast grasshopper. Florida's Sky Bridge also had a huge catastrophe (May 9, 1980) before it looked like it does now.

It was that catastrophe that had the engineers come up with a design to avoid another such collapse. The bridge reopened in 1987.

Almost identical to Baltimore's accident.
20240326_173448.jpg20240326_173333.jpg20240326_172125.jpg20240326_173801.jpg
I'm sure the new Francis Scott Key Bridge will have a similar look to the rebuilt Sky Bridge as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

touchdown

Reaction score
Maritime expert Sal Mercogliano, host of the What's Going on With Shipping YouTube channel, joins Ward Carroll to provide in-depth analysis about what caused the MV Dali to hit the Francis Scott Key Bridge at the mouth of the Baltimore Harbor early in the morning of March 26, 2024.

touchdown

Reaction score
National Transportation Safety Board officials boarded the ship to recover information from its electronics and paperwork and to interview the captain and other crew members, NTSB Chair Jennifer Homendy said during a separate news conference. Twenty-three people, including two pilots, were on the ship when it crashed, she said.

The vessel was also carrying 56 containers of hazardous materials including corrosives, flammables and lithium ion batteries, Homendy said. She added that some containers were breached, and that a sheen on the water from those materials would be handled by authorities.

Marcel Muise, NTSB investigator in charge, laid out a preliminary timeline assembled from the voyage data recorder comprising audio from the bridge and VHF radio ahead of the crash, which federal and state officials have said appeared to be an accident.

The vessel, the Dali, left port at 12:39 a.m. Tuesday and, after it entered the channel, signs of trouble came at about 1:25 a.m. when numerous alarms sounded, according to the NTSB. About a minute later, steering commands and rudder orders were issued, and at 1:26 a.m. and 39 seconds, a pilot made a general radio call for nearby tug boats.

Maryland Transportation Authority data from about the same time shows the pilot association dispatcher called the transportation authority’s officer on duty about the blackout, the NTSB said.

Just after 1:27 a.m., the pilot commanded the ship to drop an anchor on the left side of the ship and issued added steering commands. About 20 seconds later, the pilot issued a radio call reporting that the Dali had lost all power approaching the bridge.

At about that time, the state transportation officer on duty radioed two of its units already stationed at each end of the bridge saying to close the bridge to vehicle traffic. They were already there because of the construction.

Around 1:29 a.m., when the ship was traveling at about 8 mph (13 kph), recordings for about 30 seconds picked up sounds consistent with it colliding with the bridge, the NTSB said. A Transportation Authority dash camera also shows lights on the bridge going out.

At 1:29 a.m. and 39 seconds, the pilot reported to the Coast Guard that the bridge was down.

Muise said experts will review the entire voyage data recording and develop a detailed transcript.

At least eight people initially went into the water when the ship struck the bridge column, and two of them were rescued Tuesday, officials said.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
chaps my ass I've been hearing about how our infrastructure is at risk for seemingly decades yet we ship billions abroad instead of addressing stuff like this that by all accounts could have been avoided if the water bollards had been installed

Top Bottom