C

Cr122

Call me Allstate': With Dez out, Cowboys in good hands with Patrick Crayton

Receiver can fill in on punts

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

The Dez Bryant injury underlines why the Cowboys want to hold onto Patrick Crayton.

Bryant could be out 4-6 weeks because of a high ankle sprain.

The veteran Crayton skipped the majority of the club's organized team activities and worked out on his own at the Michael Johnson Performance Center. Crayton understood his plight. He's not the future at wide receiver. The Cowboys have already poured money into the position with Bryant and Roy Williams and will add even more once they sign Miles Austin to an extension.

Crayton became a $2 million insurance policy once the Cowboys selected Bryant. His concern was that the club could determine he carried too high of a premium when it was time to set the final roster.

This injury casts Crayton in a more secure light. What did he have to say Friday?

"Insurance policy?" Crayton asked. "Me?

"Call me Allstate.

"Injuries come with the game. You never know what is going to happen. You never want any teammate, especially a receiver, to get hurt.

"The rest of the receivers, we've got to step up."

The Cowboys are in good hands with Crayton, who has earned the trust of quarterback Tony Romo in crucial situations. He can also return punts, a job the team wants to turn over to Bryant.

Top Bottom