C

Cr122

Scout's Eye: Day 12 observations
August, 5, 2010

By Bryan Broaddus

My thoughts from Wednesday’s practice:

*Good sign for the Cowboys today was the return to practice of linebacker Sean Lee. Lee had missed several days with a quad strain, robbing him of valuable time working in his important role as the nickel linebacker.

In the short time that Lee did practice in camp, you noticed a player that had instincts and a nose for the ball. Where most young linebackers are always getting fooled on play-actions or waggles, Lee was assignment sound. In OTA’s and mini camps we had heard from Wade Phillips of the football intelligence of Lee and this was proven true when you studied him while on the field.

In practice, Lee showed another side of him and that was his ability to blitz. Noticed a good rep when he and Tashard Choice hooked up with Lee using good quickness then power to defeat Choice who can be a solid protector. This is an area that he has a real chance to be good in because of his technique but his desire to finish plays as well.

If there was some concern in my eyes, it was I didn’t see him on the kickoff coverage team. Maybe this is something we will view later.

*For the first time in his brief NFL career, safety Akwasi Owusu-Ansah took part in a practice. The Cowboys clearly had a plan for him and a set timetable on when he would return. It was five months since his surgery and from what we saw, it was encouraging.

Owusu-Ansah was timed in 4.32 during his private workout at Indiana (Pa.) and watching him run on the kickoff return there was no reason to dispute that time or his speed. He was explosive with the ball in his hands as he worked his way through the kickoff coverage team.

His first rep on the drill was almost a nightmare as he stumbled falling forward into the oncoming defenders. It looked like he was going to blow someone’s knee out.

On the defensive side, he took some reps late in the practice at free safety and both opportunities he was faced with the same route, a receiver working underneath across the middle. Both times, he adjusted well by showing a burst, coming forward and gaining position in coverage.

In his post practice media session, Phillips offered that we could see Owusu-Ansah as a kickoff return man and this is where I feel that he will be the best help to the team right now if he can develop that skill.

*Linebacker Anthony Spencer was held out of a portion of practice yesterday with a bruised Achilles. So in steps Victor Butler to take his place.

According to Phillips, Butler has had an outstanding camp and I have to say that I agree. Butler is a player that you always notice because he is right there.

Butler has been effective as a pass rusher. There was a rep against Robert Brewster where he was so quick off that edge that Brewster really struggled to get out of his stance and even get a hand on Butler.

He has also shown the ability to play with good technique in the running game using his speed and quickness to defeat blockers. Been impressed with his upper body strength as well. Tight ends and tackles have had a difficult time defeating him on the edge. He is a very hard guy to hook or reach.

A talented player playing with a talented group overall.

Top Bottom