dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You heard it here first…on February 23rd.

With the 14th pick of the 2012 National Football League Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select:

Dont’a Hightower – LB – Alabama

Linebacker Dont'a Hightower #30 of the Alabama Crimson Tide (Photo by Greg McWilliams/Getty Images)
Hightower played inside linebacker in Nick Saban’s 3-4 defense at Alabama. He was the unquestioned leader of the defense, calling all the plays, and playing some as a rush defensive end in passing situations. It’s that latter role that I project Hightower, at 6-4 and 260 pounds, playing with the Cowboys – a hybrid OLB/DE/ILB who can be used wherever Rob Ryan wants to in his front seven.

Hightower is projected as a late 1st round or early 2nd round selection by most draft analysts. I presume that’s because they don’t believe he will run fast at the combine this weekend. We shall see. I also assume those draft analysts have yet to do their research on Hightower’s intangibles, which include leadership qualities and a work ethic that Nick Saban and Hightower’s Alabama teammates rave about.

Much more analysis to come after I watch the combine, but here’s my Pre-Combine Cowboys Mock Draft:

Note: I anticipate the Cowboys will sign a veteran cornerback and offensive guard in free agency prior to the draft, and I also expect the Cowboys to be awarded a supplemental 4th round pick after losing Stephen Bowen to a big Redskins contract in free agency last year.

1) Dont’a Hightower – LB – Alabama – 6-4, 260

2) Dwayne Allen – TE – Clemson – 6-4, 255

3) Harrison Smith – SS – Notre Dame – 6-2, 212

4a) Kirk Cousins – QB – Michigan State – 6-2, 209

4b) Ryan Broyles – WR – Oklahoma – 5-10, 188

5) Derek Wolfe – DE – Cincinnati – 6-5, 286

6) Ron Brooks – CB – LSU – 5-11, 178

7) Greg McCoy – CB – TCU – 5-10, 182

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Some good, and some bad. Don't know about Dwayne Allen. Looks like a Witten type. Which is not a bad thing in itself, but he doesn't really offer much to the team with the OG (Original Gangster) on the roster.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Interesting Bill is always pretty spot on.

The man knows high school and college football as well as anyone.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Some good, and some bad. Don't know about Dwayne Allen. Looks like a Witten type. Which is not a bad thing in itself, but he doesn't really offer much to the team with the OG (Original Gangster) on the roster.

I've seen Allen play several times, he is intriguing, especially if he were around at our pick in the 2nd round.

Reaction score
If we don't take an interior OL and/or a CB in the first 5 rounds I'm gonna be pissed.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
TE 2nd round......fugh.

I'd take a flyer on Broyles in the 4th. If they believe Carter was worth a 2nd coming off a bum knee then Broyles is every bit worth a 4th.

Unless they have plans in FA, better be looking CB a lot sooner than left overs in the 6th or 7th round.

overused

Practice Squad
Reaction score
TE 2nd round......fugh.

I'd take a flyer on Broyles in the 4th. If they believe Carter was worth a 2nd coming off a bum knee then Broyles is every bit worth a 4th.

Unless they have plans in FA, better be looking CB a lot sooner than left overs in the 6th or 7th round.

Note: I anticipate the Cowboys will sign a veteran cornerback and offensive guard in free agency prior to the draft,

I guess reading is not your strong suit

I had Hightower as our pick for a month now

Reaction score
If we trade down, I like it.

Well, I can't lie... I wouldn't hate the pick even at 14.

Not a fan of taking a TE in the 2nd again though.

Reaction score
Horrible mock. Hightower at 14 is a reach. I doubt he'll last til the 2nd round, but he's ranked my most as a late 1st.
Then another 2nd round TE and no OL....bleh. Is Bill Jones somehow related to Jerry?

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Not this early. Combines haven't even taken place.

Well yeah.

Bill is one of the people who always knows are first rounder on the week leadingnto the draft.

At this point he is just guessing and having fun.

The guy talks about the draft all year. He will probably have a bunch of mocks.

Last year e did a first round mock with goose and norm on the score.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Then another 2nd round TE and no OL....bleh. Is Bill Jones somehow related to Jerry?

There's nothing wrong with drafting another TE early. We've been incredibly lucky with Jason Witten and he is closing in on 30 now.

The offense uses a ton of 2 TE sets, it isnt like the guy would only see 5 snaps a game.

Top Bottom