Reaction score
By Daniel Jeremiah NFL.com

Is Jadeveon Clowney worthy of the exorbitant hype? Surely he can't be as good as advertised, right? Those are questions I often get asked when the subject turns to the South Carolina defensive end. Instead of offering my personal opinion for the 4,000th time, I decided I should put that question to some veteran personnel men.

I polled five NFL executives, each with more than 10 years of scouting experience, and asked them if Clowney was the best defender in college football they had seen over the last decade. Here are their answers:

Executive No. 1: Second to none
"Yes. I have him over Von Miller, (Ndamukong) Suh, (Darrelle) Revis and Mario Williams. He has size, speed, rare athletic ability, flexibility and explosion. He's a dominating player vs. the run and pass."

Executive No. 2: Slight edge over Super Mario
"He's neck and neck with Mario Williams. There's no question that Clowney has created more buzz than any defensive player dating back to Charles Woodson. I guess I'll give Clowney the slight edge over Williams."

Executive No. 3: Only Suh comparable
"Yes. Only Suh is comparable. Clowney has everything including size and production. I knew he'd go No. 1 overall since his high school film was made public."

Executive No. 4: Clowney's a game-changer
"Hands down. Can you name a more dominant pass rusher in college during that time? I can't. He changes the game."

Executive No. 5: No one's perfect but ...
"I don't think he's a perfect prospect, but he has rare size and speed. He's a little bit tight, but overall he's probably still the best defensive player during that period of time."

Verdict: All five executives agreed that Clowney was the best defensive player they had seen in college football over the last decade.

Conclusion: With the massive amount of media now covering college football, it's easy for the hype to build on individual players. Sometimes the hype is unwarranted, but there are still instances where the performance matches the publicity. According to these five executives, this is one of those situations. Members of NFL personnel departments are just as high on Clowney as the rest of us.

Check back for my next article: Ask 5: Is JJ Wilcox the worst defense prospect in the last decade?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
a 6th anonymous executive was polled but his lack of credibility caused the author to exclude his comments. Here is what he had to say:

Executive No 6: Is 10 AM too early for bourbon?
"He's a very good player. The kind of guy who will sell some jerseys but not enough to get all that excited over. He's no DeMarcus Ware. Plus, there's a Tight End from North Dakota Tech I've got me eye on. It won't really matter for us anyway, we're going to the Super Bowl!"

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Clowney is some sort of hybrid Lawrence Taylor/Reggie White freak of nature.

If the Cowboys finish in the bottom 6 or 7 AND it's not because Romo imploded, I'd give up a bunch to get Clowney.

Reaction score
He has some spectacular plays.

But if the choice is between him and drafting a franchise QB, I go franchise QB every time.

Reaction score
I don't remember there being near as much hype about Mario Williams as there has been Clowney

Reaction score
Clowney is more athletic than Mario and just as strong.

True. Clowney has that "man among boys" dynamic. And he's doing it the SEC. Remarkably impressive. The DE equivalent of Herschel Walker.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't remember there being near as much hype about Mario Williams as there has been Clowney

Same. Williams was all athletic freak and projection, plus he had some motor questions. The Texans actually got a lot of heat for taking him over Bush and Young. No one would question taking Clowney.

Anyway, I know the question was about along the lines of hype going into the draft, but funny that Watt wasn't mentioned.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My son's name is Jadaveon. What a coincidence.

Even weirder, some woman I knocked up a while back, who's letting some other dummie raise the kid, is ALSO named Jadaveon.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
The only way we sniff Clowney is if we finish dead last. And we always win just enough games to miss all the good players that are auto hits unless we sale the future to move up.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He had that one spectacular play and since then everyone been's blowing this guy.

for the masses maybe but most people in the scouting community were well aware of him. Bob asked me about him on this forum a few games into his freshman season and I said he would be the #1 pick in 2014. That wasn't luck, he was that much more dominant than every other kid from his recruiting class. He's special and sometimes it's recognized right way. Anyone who thinks that one play is the reason for the hype just wasn't paying attention before.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Even weirder, some woman I knocked up a while back, who's letting some other dummie raise the kid, is ALSO named Jadaveon.

I'm gonna have to look into this and give my girlfriend a call.

Top Bottom