sbk92

Reaction score
SportsDayDFW sports Bio | E-mail | News tips

The Dallas Morning News Cowboys beat writer Todd Archer answered questions in a chat on Monday. Here are a few highlights.

On if the Cowboys' greatest needs are still offensive linemen and a safety:

Todd Archer: Yep, O-line is still at the top and will be at the top. Safety is a need too, but I'm not taking one with a top 10 pick. You don't see a lot of safeties that are worth that high of a pick. I don't see QB as a top of the draft need. I'd go middle rounds there.

On if Igor Olshansky, Stephen Bowen and Jason Hatcher are the long term answer for the Cowboys at the DE position:

Todd Archer: They didn't sign Olshansky to rush the passer. He's not on the field in passing downs. The more Bowen plays, the more you have to like it. Hatcher played well Sunday too. I think there's room for all three of them, but then you have to factor in Spears' future.

On if it would be better to stick with Jon Kitna and not rush Tony Romo back in to the starting line up:

Todd Archer: Even if Kitna were playing poorly, I would say there's no need to rush Romo back in 2010. That's easy for me to say, but I'm sure Garrett would like him back because he needs to win as an interim coach. But the Cowboys have to think about the long-term with him and there would be nothing to gain by bringing him back this year.

On if the Cowboys should clean house the running back position and attempt to acquire a marquee back in free agency or the draft:

Todd Archer: No need. You can find running backs all the time. How is New England doing with BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Danny Woodhead? You can get by at running back without a stud. Sorry.

On what Jerry Jones' legacy be:

Todd Archer: He's been a Hall of Fame finalist. I think he'll be there one day because of his contributions to the game, not for his time as a GM.

On possible head coaching candidates that not many are talking about:

Todd Archer: One guy that should be talked about some is Oakland OC Hue Jackson. He's done a nice job with the Raiders this year. He's been around a lot of systems and good players. If he had any sort of QB play in Oakland, I think he'd be even better.

C

Cr122

Hue Jackson, feh.

He's a good OC, but I wouldn't want him as our head coach.

sbk92

Reaction score
I disagree with Archer.

Who turns down a big time running back? I don't think you turn down talent to stick to some plan you concocted. If you have a chance to land a top RB you think can be a big time playmaker for you, take him. I don't care if New England can win without him. That's idiotic reasoning. The Pats are winning right now without a true lead WR, but I'm sure glad we drafted Dez Bryant.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Todd Archer: One guy that should be talked about some is Oakland OC Hue Jackson. He's done a nice job with the Raiders this year. He's been around a lot of systems and good players. If he had any sort of QB play in Oakland, I think he'd be even better.

Archer is out of his freaking mind.

Top Bottom