C

Cr122

Picked up pieces after eight Cowboys' practices - vertical offense, John Phillips, Curtis Johnson, crickets
Posted at 10:09 AM on Thu., Jul. 29, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

Picked up pieces through eight practices:

** It looks like the offense could look to stretch the field more vertically than ever. They are attempting a lot of deep balls early in camp. Now, Tony Romo has always had a high yards per attempt (8.2 last year) but some of the route combinations look a lot like what New Orleans does.

** And with that comes the other side of the coin: check downs to the backs. Last year the running backs caught 61 passes. In 2008, they combined for 77 yards. If the wide outs are stretching the field, then there could some wide open spaces with swing passes to get 8, 9 yards a pop.

** John Phillips has been as good as everybody is saying. I don't think he's about to take Martellus Bennett's job as the No. 2 tight end but there might be more work for Phillips than expected. He has added strength. He knows all three tight end spots. He's really come as a receiver. His development could mean even less fullback play just because they want the best players on the field.

** So far so good on the David Buehler watch. He's missed only one field goal attempt so far and the 39 yarder hit the right upright. Some of the makes have barely snuck through the uprights but good is good.

** The Cowboys haven't worked on their return game stuff yet, but one thing to watch with Dez Bryant is the willingness to stick with where the return is supposed to go. When he's worked the scout team stuff he has freelanced some. I don't know if that's because he's told to stretch the field to give the coverage guys a lot of looks or not, but if he tries to do what Pacman Jones did two years ago, then Joe DeCamillis will have a talk with him.

** A guy I've liked that not a lot has been talked about: Outside linebacker Curtis Johnson. He caught my eye in the mini-camp with his quickness off the ball. He's shown that here, too. The Cowboys have a good situation with four guys that can play in the league with Johnson, Brandon Williams, Victor Butler and Steve Octavien.

** Too bad Jason Hatcher suffered that hyperextended left elbow. He was off to a really good start. Really disruptive in the running back, which he acknowledged was not his best suit in the past. I don't think he will miss a lot of time.

** Barry Church opened up some eyes in the rookie mini-camp and the undrafted safety from Toledo has had moments with pads on, too. He moves better than a lot of people thought after he played mostly as a box safety last season. Can he push out Pat Watkins for one of the last safety spots?

** The Alamodome is its own little Animal Planet. There are crickets all over the place. Birds flying around, too. Flies, gnats, other assorted bugs and today we spotted a dead mouse. Can somebody answer this - how does a cricket get up to the third floor?

Reaction score
This is sick. I'm reading all these reports, and I'm hearing positive after positive after positive.

I'm drinking the Kool-Aide . . .

C

Cr122

This is sick. I'm reading all these reports, and I'm hearing positive after positive after positive.

I'm drinking the Kool-Aide . . .

I'm starting to like the kool-Aide myself.

Top Bottom