boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
How similar are Jason Garrett, Pete Carroll?

February, 4, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Maybe Jason Garrett is more like Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll than we know.

The Dallas Cowboys' coach doesn’t chew gum like Carroll. He’s not as rambunctious on the sidelines as Carroll. He doesn’t count Macklemore as one of his buddies.

But in searching through the Seahawks’ media notes, I came across a section dedicated to Carroll’s beliefs:

Philosophy: It’s all about the ball -- “You win by taking care of the football,” Carroll said.

Central theme: Competition -- “Practice is everything, it’s where we make us,” Carroll said.

Team rules: Always protect the team; no whining, no complaining, no excuses; be early

Style: Great effort, great enthusiasm, great toughness, and play smart

It’s not exactly new stuff. Every coach at every level says these things, right?

But Garrett has a sign in the team meeting room that reads, “The ball, the ball, the ball,” stressing the importance of the turnover ratio.

Garrett did not let players like Morris Claiborne, Bruce Carter, Mackenzy Bernadeau or Gavin Escobar slide in practice. There seemed to be real accountability around Valley Ranch in 2013, if not enough good players.

Another sign near the locker room reads, “It is a privilege, not a right, to play and coach for the Dallas Cowboys.”

How many times has Garrett mentioned passion, emotion, enthusiasm since taking over?

We sometimes mistake the Garrett who addresses the media as the Garrett who addresses the team. We saw a glimpse into what he is really like during his introductory meeting with the players at training camp last summer. Players talk about his motivational tactics all the time.

So Garrett doesn’t have to start chewing gum and prowl the sidelines looking to give the next high five or even play music in practice -- we made fun of Wade Phillips when he did it, remember? It was a lack of discipline then.

You are who you are. If Garrett changed publicly, it would be phony.

What Garrett is trying to sell is what Carroll has sold.
-----------------------

kBiCjaM.gif

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
One huge difference is Carroll's players actually show it on the field. Garrett's players only talk about it in post-game conferences, usually after losses.

Carroll also moves on quickly once something doesn't work. Garrett just reshuffles the deck.

Most importantly, Pete is clearly in charge in Seattle. He handpicked his GM and hired his entire coaching staff. Cowboys fans never know if a move was Jerry's call or Jason's.

Finally, Carroll can manage a clock.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I didn't read the article but I feel I can answer it - none at all.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
One huge difference is Carroll's players actually show it on the field. Garrett's players only talk about it in post-game conferences, usually after losses.

Carroll also moves on quickly once something doesn't work. Garrett just reshuffles the deck.

Most importantly, Pete is clearly in charge in Seattle. He handpicked his GM and hired his entire coaching staff. Cowboys fans never know if a move was Jerry's call or Jason's.

Finally, Carroll can manage a clock.

Carroll is such a stud. What I saw on Sunday night reminded me exactly of what I used to see from USC during his time there. His teams are so easy to like.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Uh, Carroll is proving to be one of the better coaches of the last decade, at least. Garrett is a .500 fucking nobody.

There is no comparison. GTFO Archer with "He's trying!" Sounds like Hutchinson whining on Hard Knocks.

Reaction score
How good would Garrett be with Carroll's GM? Did Carroll magically get better at coaching when he left NE/Jets or has he had more talent than everyone?

Reaction score
Our own owner said Garrett was essentially a head coach in training.

So lets just not compare him to a coach who's won National Championships and a Super Bowl.

Freddie

Practice Squad
Reaction score
They both have two "r"s in the middle of their last names.

Their names even SOUND alike! I seriously know this game! Why don't you see that?

Game over.

Reaction score
People forget Carroll was pretty decent in NE. Playoffs in 2 out of three years.

Not only that, but Willie MgGinnest was on Mike & Mike the week leading up to the Super Bowl and raved about Carroll. Attributed some of the New England dynasty to him, saying he was such a phenomenal teacher. Said he did an excellent job teaching himself, Bruschi, Malloy and others how to play the game.

Reaction score
Lawyer Malloy. Thats a name I haven't heard in awhile.

But yeah, Carroll is pretty respected around the league. Joe Fan will throw out him getting canned by the dysfunctional Jets and sych, but I'd take him as a coach any day.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
They both have two "r"s in the middle of their last names.

Their names even SOUND alike! I seriously know this game! Why don't you see that?

Game over.

Good post, Hos. Way to put some of these people in their place.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Lawyer Malloy. Thats a name I haven't heard in awhile.

But yeah, Carroll is pretty respected around the league. Joe Fan will throw out him getting canned by the dysfunctional Jets and sych, but I'd take him as a coach any day.

Carroll was the guy who replaced Parcells in New England. He wasn't very impressive back then.

Top Bottom