Reaction score
January, 14, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Jerry Jones said he wanted to make things uncomfortable at Valley Ranch and two-plus weeks into the offseason the Cowboys owner and general manager has done just that.

Last week, it was largely the defensive side of the ball that felt discomfort. This week it could be the offensive side of the ball.

We’ve debated the merits of who becomes the play caller in 2013 from Jason Garrett to Norv Turner to Bill Callahan.

Over the weekend, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported that Jones is pushing for Garrett to give up the duties. Well, Turner is apparently off to Cleveland, which leaves Callahan.

In the last couple of weeks our own Jacques Taylor and Tim MacMahon have pumped up the move for Callahan to call plays in 2013. They cited Callahan’s work as Oakland’s playcaller when the Raiders made their last run to a Super Bowl. Of course, that came in 2002 and it was a completely different offensive system.

But I’ve made that point already.

I’ll make another point: What did Callahan do so well in 2012 for the Cowboys that he deserves to get a promotion and call the plays in 2013?

Wasn’t the offensive line the weakest part of the team? Wasn’t the lack of a running game a killer? And wasn’t Callahan the guy responsible for the running game?

There were some injuries. The Cowboys started three different centers in Phil Costa, Ryan Cook and Mackenzy Bernadeau. Tyron Smith missed a game with an ankle injury. Nate Livings was banged up but didn’t miss a game. DeMarco Murray missed six games with a foot sprain.

But if injuries weren’t an excuse for Rob Ryan, they can’t be for Callahan either.

Did Smith play as well at left tackle as he did at right tackle as a rookie? Not in my view. Right tackle Doug Free was a mess only until he had to start splitting time with Jermey Parnell the last month of the season. Surely Callahan had some say in the decisions to sign Livings and Bernadeau in free agency.

Let’s say Callahan becomes the playcaller, do the Cowboys have to find another offensive line coach? If not, can an O-line coach and coordinator handle all he has to handle between series and work the adjustments with the line? Several people at Valley Ranch believe Wes Phillips, the assistant line coach, has a bright future. Is he ready for more responsibility?

Maybe naming Callahan the new play caller works out in 2013, but it doesn’t answer many immediate questions. In fact, it might just lead to more.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Me either.

Why not hire the best available offensive coordinator? Wouldn't Pete Carmichael jr or mike malarkey be upgrades over Callahan?

Carmichael jr and tony sporano would upgrade this staff immediately.i bet both would come here and it would give us a good group of coaches under garrett. Jason could then concentrate on being the head coach like most successful teams have....a hc a oc and a dc.

I don't know why you would even consider Callahan other than the fact that he is already here which is a terrible reason...that's how you end up with Dave campo in charge.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
not thrilled about callahan

Sounds like damage control or a trial balloon. They couldn't get Candidate X, so now they're trying to convince us that Callahan was their guy all along. Sure he was.

Reaction score
Jerry Jones throws around promotions and extensions like a $5 hooker passes around herpes... everyone gets them.

Look no further than the HC getting promoted to OC after being a QBs coach for 5 seconds and then being promoted to HC after another 10 seconds of being an OC.

So in the eyes of Jerry, that game against Baltimore where they rushed for 200+ was probably more than enough to warrant a promotion.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Even though he did it with "Gruden's team", Callahan did get a team to the Superbowl. So he's done a lot more than Garrett has as an OC. (And he did it with Gannon, whose game is a lot like Romo's.)

I think a change to the WCO would be beneficial to everyone. They've been in Garrett's system for six years now. Different terminology and a different way of looking at things might be refreshing to everyone. This whole operation as it is stale and stagnant.

But the entire thing is a huge cluster. It doesn't make sense in the first place to have an OC who runs a totally different system than the HC. When Reid gave up playcalling he gave it up to Mornhinweg, who is still a WCO guy. That's why Norv would've made sense here. If you have an offensive-minded HC whose offense has failed, you just fire the guy and get someone different. But not here.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Even though he did it with "Gruden's team", Callahan did get a team to the Superbowl. So he's done a lot more than Garrett has as an OC. (And he did it with Gannon, whose game is a lot like Romo's.)

I think a change to the WCO would be beneficial to everyone. They've been in Garrett's system for six years now. Different terminology and a different way of looking at things might be refreshing to everyone. This whole operation as it is stale and stagnant.

But the entire thing is a huge cluster. It doesn't make sense in the first place to have an OC who runs a totally different system than the HC. When Reid gave up playcalling he gave it up to Mornhinweg, who is still a WCO guy. That's why Norv would've made sense here. If you have an offensive-minded HC whose offense has failed, you just fire the guy and get someone different. But not here.

That is why cameron makes sense here. he can come in as the oc and run the same offense.

that is why mularkey makes sense here, similar offense and has worked with garrett. Jason was his qb coach. in 07 mularkey was cameron's tight end coach.

I am not sure why cameron, mularkey and sporano are not being interviewed. It seems like a perfect fit. Same/similar offense and all have worked together.

I agree with you, if we are going to install callahans west coast principled offense, which sometimes it seems like we run a lot of anyway why keep Jason? Or why limit yourself to callahan. If you want the west coast system installed go get the best guy for the job..

I just dont understand the callahan promotion to oc and play caller.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Or pluck one of Norv's position coaches, give him the OC job and let Garrett still hold a large amount of sway on how the offense is called. That way Jason can delegate and have the guy draw up the plays and submit it to him before games or whatever.

Maybe even promote Wes Phillips. He's been around Garrett's O long enough.

Top Bottom