icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If they are talking about James as some kind of WILL/SS hybrid, I'd be more interested and like his chances better for success than as just a safety. Landry is intriguing and I think a good chance he is there at 19

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If they are talking about James as some kind of WILL/SS hybrid, I'd be more interested and like his chances better for success than as just a safety. Landry is intriguing and I think a good chance he is there at 19

His catch rate allowed was the lowest of Power 5 conference safeties, so I see no problems playing him at safety. He also gets kudos from the draft experts for his football intelligence.

That said, FSU moved him all over their defense and he stood out regardless of where they put him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I think when Marinelli looks at guys like Va Tech's Edmunds and Boise St's Vander Esch he's going to have some flashbacks to what his defense looked like with Brian Urlacher at MLB. Tall, lengthy MLB's with athletic ability and tremendous range, who could get incredible drops and really clog up those seam throws. If you got one of those guys maybe you move Jaylon Smith to OLB (eventually taking Lee's spot at WOLB) but for the interim you could get all 3 on the field on base downs.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

By the way if this scenario played out and us having extra picks to play with, moving up to nab Nelson if he slips that far will not hurt my feelings. He's probably the best player in the draft if you take position out of the equation, and is probably a lock to be a 10 yr probowler.

An interior OL of Nelson/Fred/Martin with a healthy Tyron Smith at LT and another yr of RT Collins would be overwhelming.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This should be fun LOL

Polling 2018 draft prospects: Which NFL coach do you prefer?

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: Feb. 13, 2018 at 10:23 a.m.
Updated: Feb. 13, 2018 at 10:29 a.m.

We polled 20 prospects from the 2018 NFL Draft class last month at the Reese's Senior Bowl on various football related questions that, collectively, provide some insight into how the NFL's incoming talent views the game's teams, coaches and players. This week, we'll publish the poll results. Today's poll question:

Which NFL coach would you most like to play for?

Perhaps it's his five Super Bowl rings as a head coach, or the unreal consistency with which the New England Patriots win year after year. Or maybe it's his -- ahem -- always-entertaining rapport with the media. Whatever the case, Bill Belichick was the choice of the prospects polled. While he hasn't coached an NFL game in 10 years -- before Senior Bowl players were even in high school -- Jon Gruden finished tied for second, along with Sean Payton and Mike Tomlin. Being a popular TV personality, clearly, has its advantages.
Full poll results (votes):

Bill Belichick, Patriots (4)
Jon Gruden, Raiders (3)
Sean Payton, Saints (3)
Mike Tomlin, Steelers (3)
Pete Carroll, Seahawks (2)
Dan Quinn, Falcons (2)
Jason Garrett, Cowboys (1)
Bill O'Brien, Texans (1)
Sean McVay, Rams (1)

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This should be fun LOL

Polling 2018 draft prospects: Which NFL coach do you prefer?

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: Feb. 13, 2018 at 10:23 a.m.
Updated: Feb. 13, 2018 at 10:29 a.m.

We polled 20 prospects from the 2018 NFL Draft class last month at the Reese's Senior Bowl on various football related questions that, collectively, provide some insight into how the NFL's incoming talent views the game's teams, coaches and players. This week, we'll publish the poll results. Today's poll question:

Which NFL coach would you most like to play for?

Perhaps it's his five Super Bowl rings as a head coach, or the unreal consistency with which the New England Patriots win year after year. Or maybe it's his -- ahem -- always-entertaining rapport with the media. Whatever the case, Bill Belichick was the choice of the prospects polled. While he hasn't coached an NFL game in 10 years -- before Senior Bowl players were even in high school -- Jon Gruden finished tied for second, along with Sean Payton and Mike Tomlin. Being a popular TV personality, clearly, has its advantages.
Full poll results (votes):

Bill Belichick, Patriots (4)
Jon Gruden, Raiders (3)
Sean Payton, Saints (3)
Mike Tomlin, Steelers (3)
Pete Carroll, Seahawks (2)
Dan Quinn, Falcons (2)
Jason Garrett, Cowboys (1)
Bill O'Brien, Texans (1)
Sean McVay, Rams (1)

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

Wait, what? Somebody actually wanted to play the red headed genius? You can scratch the future wanna be country club member off the list.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wait, what? Somebody actually wanted to play the red headed genius? You can scratch the future wanna be country club member off the list.

dont hold your breath

i picture the response from the player as "whoevers coaching the cowboys" and totally unrelated to the clapping peckerhead on the sidelines

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think a LB from Boise State will get the Jerryworld crowd buzzing on draft night

He's probably going to blow it up at the combine and he is coming off a really good season. He could definitely warrant 1st rd consideration I think when all is said and done (maybe not here, but by somebody for sure)

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm worried that Jerry will be compelled to make a sexy pick (WR) or do something sexy like trade up 10 spots to appease the locals.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm worried that Jerry will be compelled to make a sexy pick (WR) or do something sexy like trade up 10 spots to appease the locals.

There are a handful of players I'd support us moving up for (depending on cost) and we are likely to have 4 extra picks this yr (comp picks, and they can be traded for the first time ever)

That said, the best thing they can to appease the home crowd is use the picks wisely and really restock the roster. They've been drafting better for the most part for several years now, and with them not really wanting to use free agency much then really doing well on draft day is essential to having a good team.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I can't imagine a scenario with the draft being in Dallas where Jerry sits patiently and waits for the Cowboys turn to make picks.

Wishful thinking on my part maybe but I could see them adding a free agent or trade (Earl Thomas?) the week leading up to the draft as well.

Top Bottom