ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Garrett used Romo. Garrett knew that Romo held his future in his hands. That buddy-buddy was by design. Them appearing at Duke and Maverick b-ball games to me was as worse as the infamous Cabo trip.

Yep, this is how I see it, too. Tony was banging Carrie Underwood and Jessica Simpson and hanging out with Jordan Speith. There's no way it was his idea to pal around with a dork like Garrett in his off time. That was all Garrett sucking up to his meal ticket -- especially since it started after those games like the Denver loss where Garrett called him out. Garrett realized Tony had saved his ass countless times and he'd better get back on his good side.

And I don't buy that Tony could have gotten rid of Garrett but didn't want to. Maybe so -- who really knows. But I don't think Jerry would fire the puppet he'd dreamed about for a decade+ even for Tony.

I think it's more likely Tony is the only reason Jerry yanked playcalling from Garrett and made him hire an OC in the first place. I think that probably happened at Tony's request. Put it this way: If Tony had told Jerry how much he loved Garrett's OC work, Linehan never would have been hired. Because by all accounts at the time, Garrett never wanted to give up playcalling at all.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yep, this is how I see it, too. Tony was banging Carrie Underwood and Jessica Simpson and hanging out with Jordan Speith. There's no way it was his idea to pal around with a dork like Garrett in his off time. That was all Garrett sucking up to his meal ticket -- especially since it started after those games like the Denver loss where Garrett called him out. Garrett realized Tony had saved his ass countless times and he'd better get back on his good side.

And I don't buy that Tony could have gotten rid of Garrett but didn't want to. Maybe so -- who really knows. But I don't think Jerry would fire the puppet he'd dreamed about for a decade+ even for Tony.

I think it's more likely Tony is the only reason Jerry yanked playcalling from Garrett and made him hire an OC in the first place. I think that probably happened at Tony's request. Put it this way: If Tony had told Jerry how much he loved Garrett's OC work, Linehan never would have been hired. Because by all accounts at the time, Garrett never wanted to give up playcalling at all.

That sounds plausible, but Romo was able to get rid of T.O.

Reaction score
Not so sure that is even true. How about just some basic fucking COMMON SENSE? That should be sufficient, especially with the assemblage of talent on this team. I know that's setting the bar low, but a common sense approach --- don't need a great coach, when a COMPETENT one would do wonders.

There is the age old deabte of winning a SB with a bus driver QB. In our case, we could win multiple SBs if we had a bus driver coach. Any middle of the road coach that at least knows the rule book inside and out, and can actually learn from mistakes. That's all it would take for us, but instead we have the least qualified guy to get the job in post merger NFL history. Nearly a decade later he keeps making the same brain dead mistakes.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
There is the age old deabte of winning a SB with a bus driver QB. In our case, we could win multiple SBs if we had a bus driver coach. Any middle of the road coach that at least knows the rule book inside and out, and can actually learn from mistakes. That's all it would take for us, but instead we have the least qualified guy to get the job in post merger NFL history. Nearly a decade later he keeps making the same brain dead mistakes.

Chuck Noll was a bus driver HC.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

But Garrett still has input, soi what has changed? Not sure I buy the "puppet" theory anymore. If Garrett's the puppet, then Jones is the puppet master. What controls has he placed on Garrett? Jerry used a top-5 draft pick on an RB, and he has proved to be well worth it.

With that in mind, do you buy that the puppet master would be ok with Zeke being on the sidelines with the team in the red zone?

Wouldn't the puppet master exert some control there and demand that Zeke be in?

I would like to know when the serious people in the organizationj come to the realization that Garrett is unfit. EVERY YEAR he does the same thing. He does not change his offensive plan. Very convenient to employ the "beat the man in front of you" slogan, and thereby absolves him: nothing wrong with the shitty system and game planning; it will always work if you just beat the man in front of you.

For once, I would like someone to tell him how he should outcoach the coach in front of him.

Last edited:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
But Garrett still has input, soi what has changed? Not sure I buy the "puppet" theory anymore. If Garrett's the puppet, then Jones is the puppet master. What controls has he placed on Garrett? Jerry used a top-5 draft pick on an RB, and he has proved to be well worth it.

With that in mind, do you buy that the puppet master would be ok with Zeke being on the sidelines with the team in the red zone?

Wouldn't the puppet master exert some control there and demand that Zeke be in?

I would like to know when the serious people in the organizationj come to the realization that Garrett is unfit. EVERY YEAR he does the same thing. He does not change his offensive plan. Very convenient to employ the "beat the man in front of you" slogan, and thereby absolves him: nothing wrong with the shitty system and game planning; it will always work if you just beat the man in front of you.

For once, I would like someone to tell him how he should outcoach the coach in front of him.

Reaction score
Actually, he deserves blame for the losing too. Because he obviously signed off on Garrett to Jones himself, and Jerry always did what Tony wanted.

If Romo wanted Garrett replaced with a real HC, he'd have done it. All he had to do was say "I'm not signing a contract extension or freeing up cap space" and Jones would have waxed him.

Instead, Romo liked the buddy buddy lifestyle he and Garrett had, and loved the idea that there was no real offensive system he had to adhere to. If Romo wanted freedome to change all the run calls to passes, he had it.

And lastly, I don't think "winning" ever meant as much to Romo as it did to people like Staubach and Aikman. Romo didn't hold teammates accountable for lackluster work ethic or not putting time in. He was happy being one of the guys, being on the field and playing the game.

Garrett used Romo. Garrett knew that Romo held his future in his hands. That buddy-buddy was by design. Them appearing at Duke and Maverick b-ball games to me was as worse as the infamous Cabo trip.

I never saw McCarthy and Rodgers hanging out like that.

Never saw Belicek and Brady hanging out like that.

Never saw Dungy and/or Kubiak and Manning. No Coughlin and Manning. No Carroll and Wilson, etc. You get the drift.

Two of the best posts I've read on this forum in a long time (not including my own posts, which all kick ass)

Spot on and I agree 100%

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Can anyone break down how much potential cap room we may have next year?

I guess its really up in the air. The Romo situation. Doug Free, Scandrick, if Witten were to retire. They've got a few decisions to make.

I don't think it matters really. I think they've made it pretty clear the past 2-3 seasons that they have totally changed their philosophy on high priced free agents from other teams. They arnt going to pursue them. Whatever cap room they do have I'm sure some will be dedicated to Z Martin (as it should be) and maybe they try and sign a few of their own free agents to bargain deals.

The draft is where we have to hope improvement comes. That and potentially the additions of Jaylon Smith and Tapper, along with continued development of some of our other young guys.

Top Bottom