dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Charlie Casserly said that Ezekiel Elliott, "will affect his team more than any rookie in this draft," and that he will go for 1,500 to 2,000 yards as a rookie.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Todd McShay
ESPN Senior Writer

A lot of really good prospects came off the board on Thursday during the first round of the 2016 NFL draft, and I was impressed with the work of several teams in terms of their ability to draft for need while still getting good value. But there were also a few high-risk picks made -- ones that could pay off big but also represent significant gambles for those teams.

Let's take a look at the best and riskiest picks of Round 1:

Best picks

1. Dallas Cowboys: Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State (No. 4 pick)

Of the 31 players drafted on Thursday, Elliott has a chance to make the biggest impact as a rookie. A Day 1 starter and a true three-down back, Elliott is the best blocking RB I've ever studied. That should help keep QB Tony Romo upright after he broke his collarbone twice last season. Remember: The Cowboys went 12-4 in 2014 relying on a dominant run game and an elite offensive line to take pressure off Romo. Elliott has the skill set to help Dallas return to that form.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Darren McFaddenVerified account‏@dmcfadden20
Congrats Zeke!! Welcome to the @dallascowboys. Excited to have you in the RB room. We gonna run 'em off the field!

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I just hope they go back to the run focused offense of 2014 and this isn't a "We're going to a two TE offense" type of thing.

Garrett can't help himself when it comes to passing. I don't think Romo does much to dissuade him either. Maybe the injuries are the push to run more and protect Romo

Reaction score
I'm relieved that the Cowboys got a top notch RB to go along with their top notch OL. To have one without the other would be a waste.

Elliott didn't come cheap and a lot of folks are concerned that he wasn't a "value pick." Fair enough. Reasonable people can disagree on the importance of "value" and how it should be defined (e.g., market value vs. application value).

It is a good sign, though, that at this point the biggest criticism of the player isn't about the player, but what he cost. It's pretty great that he's such a strong well rounded prospect that it is difficult to poke holes in his game.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'm relieved that the Cowboys got a top notch RB to go along with their top notch OL. To have one without the other would be a waste.

Elliott didn't come cheap and a lot of folks are concerned that he wasn't a "value pick." Fair enough. Reasonable people can disagree on the importance of "value" and how it should be defined (e.g., market value vs. application value).

It is a good sign, though, that at this point the biggest criticism of the player isn't about the player, but what he cost. It's pretty great that he's such a strong well rounded prospect that it is difficult to poke holes in his game.

Over the next 5 years after he's ripped off a few All Pro seasons a couple of rushing titles value won't even be an issue.

Reaction score
I just hope they go back to the run focused offense of 2014 and this isn't a "We're going to a two TE offense" type of thing.

Garrett can't help himself when it comes to passing. I don't think Romo does much to dissuade him either. Maybe the injuries are the push to run more and protect Romo

Check out the post-Zeke press conference on dc.com. Garrett (and Jerry) were saying all of the right things about the importance of a dominating running game. We'll see what happens, but they sounded like believers last night.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Check out the post-Zeke press conference on dc.com. Garrett (and Jerry) were saying all of the right things about the importance of a dominating running game. We'll see what happens, but they sounded like believers last night.

Saw some comments about them spending time figuring out how many more rush plays/total plays per game they'd get with Elliott, and how that equates to total time of possession for the team and how much less time the defense would then be on the field.

I think they looked at this specific player the right way and how he'd impact not just the offense, but the team as a whole. Murray was really good for us in 2014 and especially 2014, but he had three big flaws that Elliott doesn't have. Lack of break away type speed, durability and fumbling issues 9especially 2014)

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Kiper was on Mike and Mike, thinks Dallas is the ideal spot for Connor Cook at 34 or Hackenberg, though you can tll he likes Cook more.

Kiper said he had Lynch rated behind Cook.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Really like Elliott but picking him at 4 was a reach. Jones mishandles yet another draft. It's why we lose, he likes shiny objects and has no clue how to build an overall roster. Baltimore wanted to move up, so did other teams. Gurley is a far better prospect and went 10th, and next year's RB class is loaded.

Mistake.

Apparently, while in trade talks with the Ravens, they told Stephen that they were moving up for Elliot. So, had the Cowboys not grabbed him at 4, he would have been gone two picks later.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Dodd, Ogbah, or Robinson at 34 and I'm jerking it clean off.

Hahaha

Bullard is an option too. Personally I'd also like Billings but I don't think they are that high on him. Then I'd like to see them go with Ronald Blair in the 3rd.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Apparently, while in trade talks with the Ravens, they told Stephen that they were moving up for Elliot. So, had the Cowboys not grabbed him at 4, he would have been gone two picks later.

From what I heard Jerry told them he wouldn't trade them the pick unless they told him who they were going to pick at 4 and when they told him they wanted Zeke he decided to keep the pick.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
FWIW, they are saying Elliott was the highest rated player on their board.

Broaddus is apparently saying the same thing.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dodd, Ogbah, or Robinson at 34 and I'm jerking it clean off.

There's a pretty strong list of quality defensive guys (especially DL) still there. I wouldn't mind a small trade back and se us get another mid round pick (maybe 4th or 5th)

Also would be thrilled to see us get something decent for Leary. Decent to me would be 4th or 5th rounder. Lower than that I think I'd prefer we hold onto him, then maybe revisit trading him during or right after preseason when another team might be desperate due to injury or lack of talent.

Reaction score
Kiper was on Mike and Mike, thinks Dallas is the ideal spot for Connor Cook at 34 or Hackenberg, though you can tll he likes Cook more.

Kiper said he had Lynch rated behind Cook.

I wonder what the aggressive attempt for Lynch says about what the Cowboys think about the next two QB prospects, if anything.

Maybe it says more about the potential problems of drafting a developmental QB as a backup on a 3 yr contract.

I'd rather go with a defensive player myself. At least in rnd 2.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I wonder what the aggressive attempt for Lynch says about what the Cowboys think about the next two QB prospects, if anything.

Maybe it says more about the potential problems of drafting a developmental QB as a backup on a 3 yr contract.

I'd rather go with a defensive player myself. At least in rnd 2.

Mosley and Broaddus think that's exactly what is going to happen. Mosley even said yesterday before the draft he didn't think Cook would be picked even if he were available at 34.

Top Bottom