dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No, post the whole article. Much better than those boards where you only get to read a couple sentences, then have to click to read the rest. Only one would claim posting an article meant you were "forcing it down someone's throat."

If the article had been pro-Goff instead of pro-Wentz, I doubt he'd have had a problem.

Yep, post entire article.

Hated that garbage when CZ started doing it.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I respect you Amigo but we don't need to be "settling" with the QB position. Hope is rarely a strategy that works out.

I'm all four drafting Wentz, Goff and maybe even Lynch now at 4 (because it seems unlikely we could move down much and still get him, especially if Wentz and Goff go before we pick at 4). I am not condoning them passing on a much higher rated player at 4 just to take a QB, but if they feel any of those top guys are potential 10 year starters or true "franchise" QB's I don't think we can afford to pass.

Cook is probably the other QB's I'd want beyond those top 3. I'm not even sure we could get him at 34 if we don't get one at 4 though. He could definitely end up going somewhere between 19-31 (Bills, Jets, Stealers, cardinals, Broncos, any of them might take a QB this year)

Hackenberg is interesting in some ways, but I think the drop off from the top 4 (and certainly the top-3) to him is huge.

I think if they do not draft a QB within the first two rounds I would prefer for them to not draft one this year at all. Wait until next year to draft one in mid-1st or 2nd round.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Chris Trapasso ‎‎@ChrisTrapasso

Per source, Dartmouth QB Dalyn Williams (64% comp, 17 TDs, 5 INTs in '15) worked out for the #Cowboys last week.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I had a dream that I was at a Dallas sports radio station during the draft. I was representing the "negative" fans and another fan was a homer. I forget who the Cowboys drafted in the 1st but I remember we were all happy with the pick. In the bottom of the first round, the Cowboys traded back in and we all thought it was going to be a great pick and the Cowboys selected... Sheldon Day. Even the homer fan was pissed, Kiper was on TV killing the pick.

It was one of those dreams that felt real, when I woke up I was relieved it was just a dream. The feeling of disgust was very real though. Hope it's not a bad omen.

I had a dream recently where we drafted a C in the 1st round, some guy in the 2nd and Hackenberg in the 3rd.

Reaction score
Sturm tweets on why you must take QB in Round 1...

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Not Riverboat Jerry.

You take braindead dummies in the 2nd round and hope they grow a brain

or

You scout the minor leagues and see if any former college QB's can't hit a curve ball

or

You take a QB who got benched his senior year in the 4th round.

or

You wait until UDFA and hope like hell you find the next Romo.

Everyone else is doing it wrong.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not Riverboat Jerry.

You take braindead dummies in the 2nd round and hope they grow a brain

or

You scout the minor leagues and see if any former college QB's can't hit a curve ball

or

You take a QB who got benched his senior year in the 4th round.

or

You wait until UDFA and hope like hell you find the next Romo.

Everyone else is doing it wrong.

Or we can just take one with the 4th overall pick and be done with it.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I respect you Amigo but we don't need to be "settling" with the QB position. Hope is rarely a strategy that works out.

Hey I agree and I think we already had this conversation.

The question to me is:

What is the accurate, unbiased evaluation of each quarterback without the need of the QB position to each team skewing the evaluation?

If it's a slam dunk consensus that the QB available at #4 is deemed to be worthy, I’m all for taking a QB there and have said as much previously. Drafting these guys is a damn crap shoot even in a year when there appears to be a consensus. Take the year RG3 and Luck came out, the media claimed they were neck and neck and now RG3 appears to be a bust and some folks think Luck is lacking (I don’t agree and would love to have him). The list below is kind of interesting:

6B6yQSd.jpg

Hits and misses there but the later round picks are far more attractive in hindsight

The analysis is all over the map on all this years QBs plus the QB need creates an urgency that can cloud judgement (imo). We see QBs get over-drafted seemingly every year and I think part of that is from the desperation created by the positional need and it clouds the judgement of even the guys that do this full time.

So when I hear all the fans saying we have to have a QB, I agree in theory but I dont trust their ability to be rational nor do I think they have any clue how to do any real evaluation of a player since at best, they are merely regurgitating what they've read somewhere (which agreed with their pre-held belief and ignored opposing views) or did some Youtube scouting. No offense to anyone with this statement, I’m far worse at it than those I describe.

Wentz, Goff & Lynch all have concerns and potential

I’ve read some statements that make a decent case for taking a chance on Hackenberg (with a lower pick, not #4) and you’ve presented articles that made a solid argument for Cook.

I’m not convinced the risk with any of these guys is significantly different when you consider the failure rate, cap hit and draft cost. A better math guy than I could present this in a nice little formula but I’m too lazy (& unqualified)

When I look at the draft and how imprecise it is, it seems to be best played with numbers so my thought was if the trade was made with the Rams, Dallas would have the benefit of 4 picks between 15 and 45 which is said to be the sweet spot. I would hope they could at least hit at 50% which would equal what they would achieve if they hit 100% of their first two selections had they not done the trade BUT they get to freeroll with the two extra picks and perhaps they end up with 3 quality players or really hit a homer and get 4 (not likely).

Additionally, jerri, et al seem slow to cut bait with a pick as fast as they should when things dont work out, hopefully the lesser cost/draft position makes this easier to do if it becomes necessary.

Lots of combos are possible with these four picks and I bet if we look at how things shake out post draft, 3 or more of the 5 QBs will be available between 15-47 plus they have picks to package if they feel a move up is necessary.

I just think they will have more options with less risk in this scenario and I'd bet one of the top 3 will be there at 15, so if they want one of those guys, they can grab him there.

Like you, I want a QB as well, I just want to mitigate the cost/risk of failure and pick up as many players in the process to help improve their chances of winning now . Using a high draft pick on a QB works when the talent warrants the cost, only time will tell if any of these guys were worthy of that selection so lets hope the scouts and people making the decisions get it right.

Last edited:

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
No, post the whole article. Much better than those boards where you only get to read a couple sentences, then have to click to read the rest. Only one would claim posting an article meant you were "forcing it down someone's throat."

If the article had been pro-Goff instead of pro-Wentz, I doubt he'd have had a problem.
would not care if it was pro goff - I already proved that by just posting a link

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
That's not what people who covered his games thought.

People are quick to defend Jalen Ramsey for not making many plays by saying nobody threw it him. Basically the same thing would apply to Bosa as a JR. Teams responded to his dominating first two seasons by double and even triple teaming him quite a bit. The people that scout him say it. His coaches say it. The people that cover the games say it.

I don't want Ramsey for the same reason I don't want Bosa. Neither one of them are worth a top 5 pivk. By the way this BS about Bosa being double teamed all the time is just that. Try it on someone who is that gullible.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't want Ramsey for the same reason I don't want Bosa. Neither one of them are worth a top 5 pivk. By the way this BS about Bosa being double teamed all the time is just that. Try it on someone who is that gullible.

Nah, the better idea is to just use it on those that actually watch the games before spouting off

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score

The question to me is:

What is the accurate, unbiased evaluation of each quarterback without the need of the QB position to each team skewing the evaluation?

If it's a slam dunk consensus that the QB available at #4 is deemed to be worthy, I’m all for taking a QB there and have said as much previously. Drafting these guys is a damn crap shoot even in a year when there appears to be a consensus. Take the year RG3 and Luck came out, the media claimed they were neck and neck and now RG3 appears to be a bust and some folks think Luck is lacking (I don’t agree and would love to have him). The list below is kind of interesting:

6B6yQSd.jpg

Hits and misses there but the later round picks are far more attractive in hindsight

The analysis is all over the map on all this years QBs plus the QB need creates an urgency that can cloud judgement (imo). We see QBs get over-drafted seemingly every year and I think part of that is from the desperation created by the positional need and it clouds the judgement of even the guys that do this full time.

So when I hear all the fans saying we have to have a QB, I agree in theory but I dont trust their ability to be rational nor do I think they have any clue how to do any real evaluation of a player since at best, they are merely regurgitating what they've read somewhere (which agreed with their pre-held belief and ignored opposing views) or did some Youtube scouting. No offense to anyone with this statement, I’m far worse at it than those I describe.

I’ve read some statements that make a decent case for taking a chance on Hackenberg (with a lower pick, not #4) and you’ve presented articles that made a solid argument for Cook.

I’m not convinced the risk with any of these guys is significantly different when you consider the failure rate, cap hit and draft cost. A better math guy than I could present this in a nice little formula but I’m too lazy (& unqualified)

When I look at the draft and how imprecise it is, it seems to be best played with numbers so my thought was if the trade was made with the Rams, Dallas would have the benefit of 4 picks between 15 and 45 which is said to be the sweet spot. I would hope they could at least hit at 50% which would equal what they would achieve if they hit 100% of their first two selections had they not done the trade BUT they get to freeroll with the two extra picks and perhaps they end up with 3 quality players or really hit a homer and get 4 (not likely).

Additionally, jerri, et al seem slow to cut bait with a pick as fast as they should when things dont work out, hopefully the lesser cost/draft position makes this easier to do if it becomes necessary.

Lots of combos are possible with these four picks and I bet if we look at how things shake out post draft, 3 or more of the 5 QBs will be available between 15-47 plus they have picks to package if they feel a move up is necessary.

I just think they will have more options with less risk in this scenario and I'd bet one of the top 3 will be there at 15, so if they want one of those guys, they can grab him there.

Like you, I want a QB as well, I just want to mitigate the cost/risk of failure and pick up as many players in the process to help improve their chances of winning now . Using a high draft pick on a QB works when the talent warrants the cost, only time will tell if any of these guys were worthy of that selection so lets hope the scouts and people making the decisions get it right.
anyone posting a won loss record next to a QB is full of crap.

As important a position as it is in the NFL no QB gets anywhere without a lot of help; so trying to claim a won loss record as being primarily a QB responsibility is so much GARBAGE.

Cook screams to me Jay Cutler part deux. Hackenberg feels like a bust. Lynch has a fair number of question marks. Prescott is an idiot. There are only two QB prospects worth a first rd pick this year. Which means they will go very high since QBs are always over drafted.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
6B6yQSd.jpg

I had done something like this previously. What I found:

Teams with a 1st rd pick they drafted starting for them: Giants, Vikings, Packers, Lions, Falcons, Bucs, Panthers, Dolphins, Steelers, Ravens, Titans, Colts, Jaguars, Chargers

Teams with a 1st rd pick someone else drafted starting for them: Cardinals, Bears, Eagles, Chiefs & Niners (Gabbert, unless replaced. Am assuming like everyone else Kapernick is done there) and possibly Browns if RGIII starts. (If he doesn't, its probably because whomever they draft in round one this year starts for them)

Teams with QB's drafted in 2nd round as starters (either by themselves or someone else): Saints, Raiders, Texans, Bengals & Niners (if Kapernick stays and is moved back into starting lineup)

Teams with QB's drafted 3rd round or later (or UDFA): Patriots, Seahawks, Cowboys, Redskins, Jets (assuming they re-sign Fitzpatrick), Bills

So basically at least 18 (and maybe as many as 22 or 23 after the draft and offseason is completed) of the 32 teams in the league have a QB drafted in the first round as their starter.

Of the teams with QB's drafted 3rd rd or later, you can argue two of those (Bills and Jets) are QB hunting again this year.

The Broncos don't really have a penciled in starter yet, so they weren't included. Neither do the Rams. Both teams could add to the first rd pick used on their starting QB in two weeks though.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Cook screams to me Jay Cutler part deux. Hackenberg feels like a bust. Lynch has a fair number of question marks. Prescott is an idiot. There are only two QB prospects worth a first rd pick this year. Which means they will go very high since QBs are always over drafted.

Basically you've pissed and moaned about any prospect mentioned for us at 4. Who the hell do you think we should draft?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

we picked a bad year to have a Top 5 pick. there's no slam dunk franchise QB and Bosa would be a 10-15 guy in a better quality draft.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
we picked a bad year to have a Top 5 pick. there's no slam dunk franchise QB and Bosa would be a 10-15 guy in a better quality draft.

Don't agree. Again a draft is relative to the players in it that yr, not to other years.

We're still getting to pick from the best in this draft, and have top of the round picks in rounds 2,3 and 4 too

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

The question to me is:

6B6yQSd.jpg

I've had my eye on the Rams two 2nd round picks for a couple weeks now. Even at 15 there are so many ways they could go. Does Elliott make it to 15? Lynch? Or do they go with a guy like Shaq Lawson. Treadwell is expected to go in that area too.

Personally I think Elliott will be gone. If Lynch is there then I think he should be the guy. If Lynch is gone I'd like them to go with Shaq Lawson. If Lawson is the guy in the 1st, with the three 2nd round picks I'd love it if they could get Billings, Cook, and Kenneth Dixon.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I have my doubts either Lynch or Lawson make it to 15 though. I still think Lynch might go top-10

Drafting Treadwell in the 1st rd (especially if its our only 1st rd pick) would be a pretty big let down to me. I think if they do something like that it says more about what they think about Dez Bryant's foot injury than anything else.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Rams just shook things up.

Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)
4/14/16, 8:02 AM
The #Rams traded with the #Titans for No. 1, source said

Top Bottom