cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
My annual list of players that caught my eye the last few years in college. I’m not trying to find the top ten prospects with this exercise; I’m merely picking out players who I think will be spread out throughout the draft and could help the Cowboys. I try to look at pending free agents and recent draft picks. For example, I had Arkansas guard Denver Kirkland on my list before we signed La’el Collins. Here’s a breakdown of my 2015 list:

1st round (3) - Todd Gurley (Rams), Shaq Thompson (Panthers), & Damarious Randall (Packers)
2nd round (1) - Mario Edwards, Jr (Raiders)
3rd round (1) Duke Johnson (Browns)
4th round (2) Josh Shaw (Bengals) & Tre’ Jackson (Patriots)
7th round (1) – Ifo Ekpre-Olomu(Browns)
Returned to school (2) - Claude Pelon (DT USC) & Eric Striker (LB Oklahoma)

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
10.Kyler Fackrell LB Utah State (6’5”/245)
utahstateaggies.com - Official Athletic Site Official Athletic Site - Football
Kyler-Fackrell-NFL-Draft.jpg

Why would the Cowboys need him? We clearly love linebackers. Seriously, Kyler is a versatile linebacker who could play almost any 3-4 or 4-3 LB spot. I see some Brian Urlacher in him, but his size and athleticism reminds me of Rolando McClain (2016 free agent). Fackrell could also put his hand in the dirt and play some rush end on passing downs. He would be ideal for the rumored “OTTO” position the Cowboys want to use. He got hurt the first game of the season last year against Tennessee. Going into last season he was on the watch list for the Bednarik, Butkis, and Bronco Nagurski awards. Kyler, a high school QB, was lightly recruited out of Mesa, Arizona.
College Numbers:In 28 games, he has 171 tackles, 21 tackles-for-loss, 8 sacks, 4 interceptions, and 3 forced fumbles.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
9.Donald Payne Jr. FS Stetson (6’0”/215)
Donald Payne Bio - The Official Athletics Web site of Stetson University
XGGXLRTUWUZTDBI.20141201180516.jpg

Why would the Cowboys need him? Unless the Cowboys plan on moving Byron Jones, the team still lacks a true free safety. Stetson is an FCS program in Florida that revived football in 2013 after a 57-year absence. In 2012, they began practicing and realized they had a gem in Donald Payne, Jr. I’d like to see him against better competition, but on film, this guy is a machine; he reminds me of a bigger Honey Badger. Named to the Walter Camp All-American team as a sophomore, he led all of college football with 185 tackles, including 30 in one game. If I was advising him, I’d tell him to go pro or graduate early and be immediately eligible to transfer and play at a D1 school. He was lightly recruited out of Landmark Christian High School in Fayetteville, Georgia, despite being an honor roll student. His dad was a college All-American and his uncle, Ezra Johnson, played 15 years in the NFL.
College Numbers: In 23 games, he has 198 tackles, 35 TFL, 10 sacks, and 6 INT.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
8.Sterling Shepard WR Oklahoma (5-10/191)
Sterling Shepard Biography - Oklahoma Sooners
Sterling-Shepard1.jpg

Why would the Cowboys need him?I’ve noticed that Green Bay adds a WR in the middle rounds almost every draft and it has paid off for them. Shepard is a high production guy in college who should be a solid #2 or #3 at the next level. Sooner fans and many college football fans are familiar with his story. His dad Derek, who played for the Sooners and Cowboys, passed away when Sterling was young. Bob Stoops and the OU staff basically adopted Sterling. He wears #3 to honor his father. He was a 4-star recruit out of Heritage Hall High School in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
College Numbers: 28 starts, 37 games played. 147 receptions for 2,194 yards and 15 TD. He also rushed for 1 TD.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
7.Cameron Echols-Luper CB TCU (6-0/190)
GOFROGS.COM - Cameron Echols-Luper Bio - TCU Horned Frogs Official Athletic Site
ku_fbc_tcu_23_t600x427.JPG

Why would the Cowboys need him?Despite the selection of Byron Jones, CB could be a need with the likely departures of Morris Claiborne and Brandon Carr. I got to meet Gary Patterson and some of the TCU staff (Cameron's father is the WR coach at TCU), and the player they were most excited about was Echols-Luper, who would be making the move from WR to CB this spring. He was All-Big 12 as a punt returner last season. Due to injuries, TCU had to move him back to WR in spring, but still plan on moving him to CB before the season. Cameron also runs track for TCU and was an All-American in 2014. He just won the Big 12 Indoor title in the long jump in March. Since he hasn’t played a down at CB yet, this is me gambling on his athleticism. He was a 3-star recruit out of Auburn, Alabama.
College Numbers:In 24 games, he has 13 receptions for 93 yards. He threw a TD pass in 2013 and has three completions total. He has returned 47 punts for 536 yards (11.8 AVG), and 1 TD.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
6.Anthony Zettel DT Penn State (6-4/278)
Anthony Zettel Bio - Penn State Official Athletic Site
Anthony+Zettel+Navy+v+Penn+State+tg-bwT3mI6ol.jpg

Why would the Cowboys need him? Zettel is undersized but is the definition of scrappy. Penn State asked him to bulk up some and move inside to DT. The Cowboys could be in the market for a 3-Tech with Tyrone Crawford playing his last year of his rookie contract. There might be some concerns about him maintaining his quickness if he gets his weight in the 290 range, but I don’t see it being a problem for him. He was a 4-star recruit out of West Branch, Michigan. He also lettered in basketball, baseball, and set a state record in the shot put.
College Numbers: In 25 games, he has 73 tackles. 27 tackles-for-loss, 16 sacks, and 4 interceptions.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
5.DeForest Buckner DL Oregon (6-7/290)
DeForest Buckner Bio - GoDucks.com - The University of Oregon Official Athletics Web Site
1075617.jpg

Why would the Cowboys need him? Greg Hardy, Tyrone Crawford, Jeremy Mincey, Terrell McClain, Josh Brent, and Nick Hayden will all be free agents after the 2015 season. While people were talking about Arik Armstead’s athleticism, I was enamored with the power and violence on the opposite end. Critics will say he’s a 3-4 end only and want to see more production from him this year. I see a guy who could be a match-up nightmare at LDE and then sliding inside on passing downs. He was a 4-star recruit out of Punahou High School in Honolulu, Hawaii.
College Numbers: In 41 games, he has 148 tackles, 18.5 TFL, 7.5 sacks, and 2 forced fumbles.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
4.Scooby Wright III OLB Arizona (6’1”/246)
Scooby Wright III Bio - The University of Arizona Official Athletic Site
201411281838670810185-p5.jpg

Why would the Cowboys need him? I don’t care if we need him or not, this kid is an animal. He’s part Sean Lee, part Clay Matthews, with a little bit of Bill Romanowski sprinkled in. I talked to a Pac-12 offensive coordinator in January who described him as “complete chaos.” Scooby would be an ideal SAM linebacker in our scheme but is versatile enough to play all three spots. Phillip “Scooby” Wright was way under-recruited as a 2-star prospect from Cardinal Newman High School in Santa Rosa, California.
College Numbers: In 27 games, he has 246 tackles, 38 TFL (29 in 2014), 14.5 sacks, 1 INT, and 3 forced fumbles.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
3.Derrick Henry RB Alabama (6-3/242)
Derrick Henry Bio - ROLLTIDE.COM - University of Alabama Official Athletic Site
b4a1d66fab3f30ef851698d52cbcf4ab.jpg

Why would the Cowboys need him? The running-back-by-committee is either going to work this year or it isn’t. If it doesn’t, Henry would be the ideal workhorse to take over. He has great size at six-foot-three and 240 pounds while still running a 4.5 40. Alabama running backs have been hit or miss but the good thing about Tide RB’s is they always platoon and have low mileage. Henry actually outrushed 2015 2nd rounder T.J. Yeldon on fewer carries last season. Henry will wear jersey #2 this season. He was a 4-star recruit out of Yulee, Florida.
College Numbers: In 26 games, 208 carries for 1372 yards (6.6 AVG), 14 TD, 6 catches for 194 yards (32.3 AVG), 3 TD

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
2.Myles Jack LB UCLA (6-1/232)
Myles Jack Bio - UCLA Bruins Official Athletic Site | UCLABruins.com
5cfeb65ec92c436ba5d67d1533e3a9ce-780396bd37cb447780af8030812aec80-8_1.jpg

Why would the Cowboys need him? Since the Cowboys changed back to a 4-3 they have been looking for that star WILL linebacker. They were one pick away from drafting Ryan Shazier in 2014 and rumored that they would have taken Shaq Thompson if Carolina did not take him two picks before Dallas selected Byron Jones. They have drafted versatile guys like Anthony Hitchens and Damien Wilson but seem to covet that sideline-to-sideline playmaker in the Derrick Brooks mold. Jack is nationally known for playing offense and defense but he’s been a game-changing linebacker since day one. The good thing about WILL linebackers is that even the elite ones don’t get drafted early in the first round (Brooks went 28th, Shazier went 15th, Thompson went 25th). Myles was a 4-star recruit out of Bellevue, Washington.
College Numbers: In 26 games he has 163 tackles, 15 TFL, 1 sack, 3 INT, and 1 forced fumble. He also has rushed for 380 yards and 10 TD on 66 carries.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
1.Jalen Ramsey S Florida State (6-1/201)
Jalen Ramsey Biography - Florida State Seminoles Official Athletic Site
usp-ncaa-football_-clemson-at-florida-state-e1411564313750.jpg

Why would the Cowboys need him? My calves are sore from standing on my free safety-soapbox. It’s been a weak spot for the Cowboys defense since Darren Woodson hung up his cleats. Next off-season the Cowboys can free up $2.75M in cap room by moving on from Barry Church. Ramsey is a freak of an athlete who came to the Seminoles as a CB but moved to FS and flourished. He joined the track team this year and beat prospect #7 (Cameron Echols-Luper) in the long jump at the NCAA Indoor championships. Besides, Ramsey was a USC-verbal up until a week before signing day, so I really feel I’m due for him to come to my team. He was a 5-star recruit out of Brentwood Academy in Nashville, Tennessee.
College Numbers: In 28 games, he has 128 tackles, 11.5 TFL, 4 sacks, 3 INT, and 3 forced fumbles.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Bonus: Way Too Early Look at 2017
Jamal Adams S LSU (6’0”/206)
Jamal Adams Bio - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics
1416111.jpg

The son of former NY Giants 1st round pick, George Adams, he was my favorite freshman to watch last season. Cowboy fans may be familiar with him from his days as a 5-star recruit out of Hebron High School in Carrollton, Texas. As a freshman for LSU, he had 66 tackles, 5 pass defenses, and 1 sack.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We'll be minus our 1st rd pick, #32 overall after we trade for that All Day guy

Top Bottom