dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Scout’s Eye: Five Players To Watch On Draft Day 2

Posted 34 minutes ago

Bryan Broaddus

Football Analyst/Scout

IRVING, Texas – As Day 2 begins for the Cowboys, Scout’s Eye takes a look at 5 players to watch:

DeMarcus Lawrence - Boise State - DE - 6-3 - 251 - 4.83

Team is hunting that right defensive end and Lawrence is a perfect fit for that role.
Can really run when it comes to chasing the ball. Plays with a burst. Has some surprising strength to play at the point of attack. Can get around the corner and cause problems for the quarterback. When on the slant inside, can really be disruptive and showed the ability to be a wrap up tackler. Might have to trade up to Oakland (2-36) to make this happen. Count six teams between them that could use an end.

Scott Crichton - Oregon St - DE - 6-3 - 273 - 4.85

Would be more of a left defensive end which might mean if selected that you put George Selvie on the right side. Really does a nice job at the point of attack handling blocks and getting in on the play. Physical player that has some jump off the edge. Will play some tackle as well in the nickel. Some 3-4 teams like Tennessee and Pittsburgh could think about using him as a base five technique.

Kony Ealy - Missouri - DE - 6-4 - 273 - 4.88

Like Crichton viewed more as a left defensive end but can also see some action as a three technique in the nickel. There are times where you see him really bring it off the edge. When he is on, he can be a disruptive player but when he doesn’t play with a burst or technique he can be just another guy. I thought it was too rich to take him at 1-16 but at 2-47 that now becomes an option. New York Giants and Detroit are teams to watch ahead of Dallas.

Timmy Jernigan - Florida State - DT - 6-2 - 299 - 5.10

If the team is hunting a one technique, here is the player. I believe that he is still on their draft board despite what we have heard and read from what happened at the Combine. Is a difficult player to move one-on-one. Can hold the point and get some serious push with power. Is a load for guards and centers to have to deal with. Keep a close eye here because these off the field questions might drop him right in their lap at 2-47.

Lamarcus Joyner - Florida State - DB - 5-8 - 184 - 4.51

Type of player that has the potential to never come off the field. I believe that you will see him play as a safety in this scheme for the Cowboys. He shows the ability to not only play with range deep out of the middle of the field but can also walk down in the slot and cover receivers from there. The Cowboys are going to have to walk a mine field to grab him with teams like Minnesota, Buffalo and Detroit all needing one.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet
Follow
In draft news… the #Cowboys are looking to make a big move up the 2nd round draft board to secure front 7 help, I’m told.

3:24 PM - 9 May 2014

206 Retweets 89 favorites

Reaction score
Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet
Follow
In draft news… the #Cowboys are looking to make a big move up the 2nd round draft board to secure front 7 help, I’m told.

3:24 PM - 9 May 2014

206 Retweets 89 favorites

Love the idea of fixing the front seven, but not at the cost of next years draft.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I bet we take an off the radar player tonight that hasn't really been discussed

If you weren't a Cabal-er, I bet certain Insiders would have tipped you off to who we were going to take.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Love the idea of fixing the front seven, but not at the cost of next years draft.

If they moved next years first (which is a lock to be #32) in exchange for an extra 2 to take a walk in starter on the DL, its worth it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Drafting a LDE type and moving Selvie over to the right side would be terrible me thinks.

Adding better players is never a bad thing.

Or do I need to remind you of some of the guys we trotted out there on the DL last yr?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Second-round draft whispers

By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
Published: May 9, 2014 at 03:21 p.m.
Updated: May 9, 2014 at 04:17 p.m.

The second-round draft rumors aren't coming in quite as hot-and-heavy as those leading up to Thursday night's draft start, but the 49ers' acquisition of Stevie Johnson from the Bills has jumpstarted Friday's wheeling-and-dealing.

» There is a lot of interest from teams seeking a trade into the early second round. Per NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, the Cowboys are a team to watch on Mizzou defensive end Kony Ealy. Rapoport reported on NFL Network's "2014 NFL Draft Kickoff" that Boise State pass rusher DeMarcus Lawrence is another option for Dallas. Jerry Jones' club is looking to make a big move to help the beleaguered front seven.

» Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr will be under consideration at No. 36 overall. Owner Mark Davis is a big fan, reports NFL Media's Albert Breer.

» Sam Bradford is unlikely to face competition from a second-day draft pick. General manager Les Snead told SiriusXM's Mad Dog Radio on Friday that he wants his second-round pick to play more snaps than a backup quarterback.

» On the hunt for more picks, the Redskins are reportedly listening to offers for No. 34 overall.

» According to Pro Football Talk, there is buzz in league circles that the Texans have their eyes on Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo with the opening pick of the second round.

» Now that they have Taylor Lewan capable of playing left tackle, there are whispers that the Titans might shop veteran Michael Roos.

» With first-round outside linebacker Marcus Smith now in the fold, the Eagles are expected to trade pass rusher Brandon Graham.

» Alabama tackle Cyrus Kouandjio is off the boards of roughly 20 teams due to long-term medical concerns about cartilage in his knee, Rapoport reported on "2014 NFL Draft Kickoff." One team to watch on Kouandjio, is the Redskins, per Rapoport.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" provides instant reaction to all the wild happenings in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Stephen Jones: Run Game, Not RB, An Early Focus

Rowan Kavner

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

Follow Rowan Kavner on Twitter

IRVING, Texas –A third first-round pick on the offensive line could provide the tipping point to trusting the running game more.

The Cowboys finished eighth in the league in yards per rushing attempt in 2013, yet only the Falcons ran the ball fewer times. Dallas had Tony Romo in mind when the Cowboys made their first-round pick of Notre Dame offensive lineman Zack Martin, but executive vice president Stephen Jones also thought of the running attack.

“It’s going to help our running game,” Jones said Friday on 105.3 FM “The Fan.” “We were starting to kind of find it there at the second half of last year, and I think we can build on that and have a neat deal in terms of taking pressure off of Tony if we can establish a sound running game.”

The Cowboys actually ran the ball fewer times in 2013 (336) than they did in 2012 (355), despite averaging almost a full yard more per rushing attempt last season.

With a new play-caller and offensive mind in Scott Linehan and another piece added to the offensive line in Martin, the Cowboys may choose to reverse that trend in 2014.

The addition of Martin gives the Cowboys a piece they can plug in immediately at guard and potentially kick out to tackle in the future, if they choose to do so. More importantly, Martin gives them three players, along with Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick, that’ll be expected to anchor the offensive line for the next decade.

“That’s a huge deal in terms of our future,” Jones said. “These guys, Tyron and Travis and our pick, Martin, are hopefully going to be guys here the next 10 years and on past Tony’s career.”
A lot of the running discrepancy last year could be attributed to trailing in games and a struggling defense. Many believe the Cowboys will address the defense often the rest of the way in the draft.

Though they added a player in Martin that could help the running game, it doesn’t sound like the players actually running the ball in 2014 will look much different. He said he’s pleased with what they’ve got.

“We think we’re pretty set there at the running back spot,” he said. (sdogo and hos, call me. I was just kidding about that Tre Mason thing in round two)

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The one with the amazing Secondary?

They do have that, but they also have a defensive front 4 that rotates 7 or 8 pretty good players and don't have anyone that had more than 8 sacks (maybe 8 1/2)

Bob said did I want a defense with two DE's that have 7 sacks each. Seattle had two DE's with 8 sacks each.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Apples and oranges. If our D Line doesn't get to the QB fast, the QB usually sees a streaking WR running wide open while Jeff Heath is covering the wrong player and Barry Church jogging 10 yards behind the player. Earl Thomas is in QB's heads and for good reason.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
LOL at Spagnola's latest column

I listened to him and some other clown knocking the idea of taking Zack Martin before the draft yesterday, now today he's praising the move.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Apples and oranges. If our D Line doesn't get to the QB fast, the QB usually sees a streaking WR running wide open while Jeff Heath is covering the wrong player and Barry Church jogging 10 yards behind the player. Earl Thomas is in QB's heads and for good reason.

I never noticed Jeff Heath covering the wrong player. In fact I never noticed him covering any players. Apparently opposing QB's didn't notice many of our DB's covering their receivers last year. In fact I don't think they noticed anyone rushing them or bothering them much either.

Hence why I am somewhat of a proponent of trading a pick in next years draft to either 1) move up to get one of the better pass rushers left tonight or 2) trade a pick in next yrs draft and outright acquire an extra pick tonight. Would love to land Lawrence, Crighton or Ealy AND Jernigan in the 2nd rd tonight.

Top Bottom