Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
On that you are right.

Kiper (and all of these other guys) are going for buzz not accuracy right now. Buzz gets people talking, keeps them relevent, and keeps them paid.

Weathermen and draft experts. They both can just say anything, act Suprised when they are wrong and everyone still hangs on there every word.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Looking back at the Dallas Cowboys’ last five draft classes: Top three picks in 2011 should be mainstays

By Brandon George / Reporter
bgeorge@dallasnews.com
11:00 am on April 5, 2013 | Permalink

Reviewing the Cowboys’ 2011 draft:

The NFL draft is right around the corner April 25-27 and before we dive more into the Dallas Cowboys’ needs and what direction they might go with their selections each round, we’re going to take a step back and review.

So, how did the Cowboys get here? How has America’s Team remained stuck in mediocrity the last decade? Some of the blame can be traced to how the team has drafted players, especially from 2006 to 2009. We’ll continue today by taking a look back at each of the Cowboys’ last five draft classes, reviewing the overall impact of each class and if each pick that year was a bust (D or below, if you prefer grades), fair (B-C) or good (A).

We’ve already reviewed the Cowboys’ draft classes of 2008, 2009 and 2010. Today, we look back at the Cowboys’ 2011 draft class.

In 2011, the Cowboys had the ninth overall pick in the draft and selected Southern California offensive tackle Tyron Smith. Smith became just the fourth lineman selected by the Cowboys in the first round and the second-highest in team history (John Niland was selected fifth overall in 1966). When it was all over last April, the Cowboys had selected eight players. Two of the team’s eight selections – Smith and third-round running back DeMarco Murray from Oklahoma– had great impact for the Cowboys during their rookie seasons.

Here’s a look at each of the Cowboys’ eight players selected in the 2011 draft:

First round: OT Tyron Smith from USC

How he fared: Smith moved to left tackle last off-season, switching positions with veteran Doug Free. Smith played well in his first season to start at left tackle last year and should be a mainstay along the Cowboys’ offensive line for many years to come. Smith was almost immediately named the Cowboys starting right tackle his rookie season and he performed well. He has been the Cowboys’ most consistent offensive lineman in his first two years in the NFL.

How he rates: Good. Having already played well enough to move to left tackle, Smith has been just what the Cowboys expected from him despite being the youngest player in the NFL his rookie season.

Second round: LB Bruce Carter from North Carolina

How he fared: Carter emerged as one of the Cowboys’ key starters last season, but he suffered a season-ending dislocated left elbow in the Thanksgiving game against Washington. Carter was supposed to be a mid-first-round pick in the 2011 draft before he suffered a major knee injury late in his senior season at North Carolina. The Cowboys drafted him anyway in the second round, knowing that they wouldn’t have a chance to see Carter play to his potential until the 2012 season. Carter missed the Cowboys’ first six games in 2011 while continuing to recover from his knee injury and never made a major impact. He finished his rookie season with eight tackles in 10 games.

How he rates: Good. The Cowboys saw Carter play at the level they expected him to a year ago and feel like he and Sean Lee will be mainstays in the middle of Dallas’ defense for years to come. Both, however, need to show they can stay healthy and play every game.

Third round: RB DeMarco Murray from Oklahoma

How he fared: Murray was bit by the injury bug against last season. He missed six games with ligament damage in his foot and finished the season with 663 rushing yards and four touchdowns in 10 games.Murray burst onto the scene for the Cowboys midway through his rookie season and established himself as the team’s starting running back, supplanting Felix Jones. Murray ended up rushing for 897 yards and was on his way to a 1,000-yard rookie season before he fractured his right ankle late in the year. Murray showed everyone his potential againstSt. Louis his rookie year, rushing for a single-game team record 253 yards on 25 carries (including a 91-yard touchdown run).

How he rates: Good. For a third-round pick to become a team’s starting running back his rookie season that has to rate as a good pick. However, Murray’s injury history is a concern for the Cowboys going forward.

Fourth round: OG David Arkin from Missouri State

How he fared: Arkin has basically had two red-shirt seasons with the Cowboys his rookie year and last season, not appearing in any games.

How he rates: Bust. That’s the grade for now, but the Cowboys believe Arkin has potential to become a contributor. He needs to have a good off-season, improving his strength and technique, to make that a reality.

Fifth round: CB Josh Thomas from Buffalo

How he fared: Thomas, the local product from Cedar Hill, didn’t impress the Cowboys enough to secure a roster spot out of training camp in 2011. He was among the team’s final cuts and the Cowboys had hoped to re-sign him to their practice squad. However, Thomas didn’t clear waivers. He was claimed by the Carolina Panthers, thus ending his Cowboys’ tenure before it really even started.

How he rates: Bust. To not make the final roster out of training camp has to make this pick a bust.

Sixth round: WR Dwayne Harris from East Carolina

How he fared: Harris really came on late last season, contributing more in the passing game and on special teams returning punts. Harris will compete for the Cowboys’ No. 3 receiving job going into 2013 and should be the team’s primary return man on special teams. Harris had one of the most impressive preseason debuts for a rookie in Cowboys history, catching five passes for 127 yards and two touchdowns. Then, he fell off the radar. Harris appeared in seven games his rookie season for the Cowboys.

How he rates: Fair. The Cowboys cut Harris in mid-October in 2011 but re-signed him to their practice squad. His play late last season earns him a “fair” grade.

Seventh round: FB Shaun Chapas from Georgia

How he fared: Chapas appeared in only three games his rookie season in 2011 for the Cowboys, catching one pass for nine yards. He spent most of his season on the team’s practice squad. In his first game on the active roster late in 2011, Chapas delivered a second-quarter blindside hit on a punt return. He wasn’t penalized for the hit, but the league later fined him $20,000, taking a major chunk out of his first game check that was just more than $22,000.

How he rates: Bust. He had little impact. The Cowboys released Chapas last August and he’s now playing for the Detroit Lions.

Seventh round: OL Bill Nagy from Wisconsin

How he fared: The Cowboys placed an injured Nagy on waivers in mid-August last year and he was claimed by the Detroit Lions. As a rookie in 2011, Nagy became the only seventh-round pick in the 2011 draft to begin the season as a starter in the NFL. Nagy began the year as the Cowboys’ starting left guard. However, in mid-October of 2011 that came to an abrupt end when Nagy suffered a fractured right ankle in the fourth quarter of a game atNew England that ended his rookie season.

How he rates: Fair. For a player who never established himself as a full-time starter in college and for a seventh-round draft pick to begin his pro career as a starter, that’s impressive. However, the Cowboys lost out on Nagy by placing him on waivers.

Overall: Good. The top three picks for the Cowboys in 2011 of Tyron Smith, Bruce Carter and DeMarco Murray look very good. All three should be mainstays for the Cowboys. Carter and Murray need to show they can stay healthy, but both have Pro Bowl potential. The emergence of Dwayne Harris late last season also helps this class’ overall grade.

LOOKING AHEAD:

Saturday: We look at the Cowboys’ 2012 draft

Follow Brandon George on Twitter at @dmn_george.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Breaking Down the ‘Boys: “Wisdom of the Crowds” can help predict Cowboys’ draft pick

By Jonathan Bales
jonathan@thedctimes.com
11:20 am on April 5, 2013

Jonathan Bales is a special contributor to SportsDayDFW.com. He’s the founder of The DC Times and writes for DallasCowboys.com and the New York Times. He’s also the author of Fantasy Football for Smart People. He can be reached at jonathan@thedctimes.com.

You can follow him @TheCowboysTimes.

I’ve recently unveiled my big board and second mock draft. While I spend a good amount of time analyzing prospects, I have my own biases and my rankings are certainly not immune to error. I rank a pretty large percentage of players away from consensus opinion; some of those will turn out to be right, but many will also be wrong. There’s a certain level of uncertainty built into forecasting the future of NFL prospects, and as draft analysts, all we’re trying to do is peel away that uncertainty to make accurate predictions.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I’m a big believer in “wisdom of the crowds”—the phenomenon by which the collective opinion of individual experts can be more accurate than that of the same expert opinions take in isolation, i.e. as we incorporate more and more expert opinions, we’ll likely gain a clearer depiction of reality. My opinions on one prospect might be vastly different than those of, say, Mel Kiper. If we’re playing the percentages, the prospect’s true talent is most likely to fall somewhere between our separate views on him. As we add in more and more expert opinions, we can get a really great sense of a prospect’s perceived worth.

Up until now, I’ve been creating aggregate big boards my combining the rankings of various draft analysts. The aggregate boards have been based off of their big boards—their personal opinions regarding prospects’ talent—as opposed to mock drafts. There’s a difference between an analyst’s opinion on where a player should get drafted and where he will get drafted, however, and today I’m going to look at the latter.

While I’ve been personally tracking expert rankings in my previous aggregate boards, there’s actually already data available that combines expert opinions on where prospects will get drafted. Play the Draft is a “stock market for the NFL Draft”; experts like Mel Kiper, Lance Zierlein, Matt Miller, Greg Cosell, and so on rank prospects according to where they think they’ll get drafted. As those rankings change, so does the “stock” of each player. You can build your own team, trying to predict future trends to acquire value in much the same way NFL teams do.

Understanding Changing Value

The coolest part about aggregating expert opinions is that you can get a sense of how a player’s stock is changing. In the same way that an actual stock price fluctuates, so does the stock for a draft prospect. Many times, NFL teams can actually acquire value by jumping on a players’ whose stock is down. It’s those prospects—not those whose value has hit its peak—who are most likely to offer value because their perceived value has dropped below their actual worth.

You can see that with a guy like Utah defensive tackle Star Lotulelei. After rumors of a heart condition surfaced, Lotulelei’s stock plummeted.

That’s a case where a player’s perceived worth has probably dropped well below his talent level. Compare that to Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd.

Star-Lotulelei-Stock-620x277.png

That’s a case where a player’s perceived worth has probably dropped well below his talent level. Compare that to Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd.

Sharrif-Floyd-Stock-620x293.png

After a report or two that a few teams view Floyd as a top talent, his stock soared. Now it appears as though every analyst views Floyd as a top-tier player, but that wasn’t the case just a couple months ago. Whether or not Floyd is an elite talent, it’s very unlikely that his actual value is greater than his current perceived worth, which is through the roof.

A New Aggregate Big Board

Below, I’ve posted the top 25 players as ranked by the experts at Play the Draft. Again, the value of such a board is that it corrects for errors in individual rankings. This “wisdom of the crowds” approach has proven to be more accurate than the majority of individual boards alone. You can click on highlighted names to check out my scouting reports.
1.Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
2.Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
3.Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
4.Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
5.Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon
6.Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
7.Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
8.Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
9.Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
10.Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
11.Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia
12.Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
13.Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU
14.Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
15.Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
16.Jonathan Cooper, G, UNC
17.Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
18.Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
19.Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
20.Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
21.Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
22.Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
23.Matt Barkley, QB, USC
24.D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
25.Datone Jones, DT/DE, UCLA

Again, since this aggregate board is a collection of where draft experts think players will get selected, it should be about as accurate of a representation of draft stock as we can get.

Interesting Notes for Dallas

- The chances of getting a top-tier offensive tackle are almost zero. The three elite tackles are all ranked in the top 10. In all likelihood, the Cowboys won’t even be in position to trade up for one. If the Cowboys have their heart set on an offensive tackle in the first round, it might be Alabama’s D.J. Fluker, currently ranked No. 24 on the aggregate board.

- The elite guards are ranked at No. 12 (Chance Warmack) and No. 16 (Jonathan Cooper). That doesn’t mean that both will be off the board when Dallas is on the clock, however, and I still think there’s a decent probability that one will make it to No. 18. If that happens, I think you’ll see the ‘Boys pounce.

- Look who is rated right at No. 18: Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro. I don’t think Vaccaro is worthy of a first-round pick, but lots of people do. Nonetheless, I’d still say the odds of him making it to No. 18—which are probably a coin flip—are lower than for the guards. That’s because there are two elite guards, increasing the overall probability of one falling even though they’re both ranked higher than Vaccaro.

- If the odds of one of the elite guards falling to the Cowboys are 50 percent and the chances of Vaccaro slipping to No. 18 are the same, there would be just a 25 percent chance that Warmack, Cooper, and Vaccaro are all off of the board when the Cowboys pick.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Draft Focus: Versatile Cooper Could Bolster Interior O-Line

David Helman DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

(Editor’s Note: Heading into the upcoming NFL Draft, held April 25-27, DallasCowboys.com will take a closer look at the prospects, including some that could be potential fits with the Cowboys. Today’s featured player is North Carolina guard Jonathan Cooper.)

Name: Jonathan Cooper

Position: Guard

College: North Carolina

Height/Weight: 6-3, 310

Honors: Cooper was one of the nation’s most decorated offensive linemen in 2012. He was a finalist for the 2012 Outland Trophy, and he was a consensus All-American. Cooper was also selected first-team All-ACC and won the league’s Jacobs Blocking Trophy. He was named second-team All-ACC in his sophomore and junior seasons in 2010 and 2011.

Key stat: Injuries are big topic when it comes to the Cowboys, and understandably after 2012. Cooper was the model of reliability during his college career, starting a North Carolina record 47 games over four years.

Where He’s Headed: Cooper is widely regarded as either the best or second-best guard in this draft, along with Alabama’s Chance Warmack. But that doesn’t necessarily diminish Dallas’ chances of landing him. NFL teams don’t put the same premium on guards as they do on offensive tackles, and history proves that. In the last three drafts, the first guard off the board was taken 24th, 23rd and 17th. A guard hasn’t gone in the top 10 since 1997. And even if one of the duo goes early, the odds seem good that one of them will last into the mid round.

How He Helps the Cowboys: With a rushing attack that ranked almost last in the league, it’s safe to say the Cowboys could benefit from bolstering the line. Adding better protection for the newly-extended Tony Romo wouldn’t hurt either. Cooper has the versatility to play either guard or center, so he’d not only add depth but give the team flexibility in determining how best to improve the line.

Scout’s Take: Been on this guy for a while and have him over Chance Warmack of Alabama because I feel like that you can do more things with him scheme wise than Warmack. Square player that can hold his own inside. Very smooth player. Nice pull and adjust when he has to get outside, will find his target and sustain. Plays on his feet, rare to see him on the ground or off balance. Can adjust on the twist but also shows awareness on the blitz

pickup. Can mirror the defender. Can keep position of his block on the move. Will run man past the play. Plays with nice leverage. Helps with the line calls. Will cross the pocket to help when uncovered. Aware to what is going on around him. Athletic enough to line up and play center if he had to, don’t believe Warmack could do that. Great fit for a team that runs zone schemes and wants their linemen on the move but is also strong enough to sit down on his man if he has to. – Bryan Broaddus

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I see that Hostile has a very nice article posted at The Landry Hat. For those of you that really wants to be informed on the Cowboys draft, it is a must read.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
@mortreport: Alabama RT D..J. Fluker is one of true rising players in draft

I like Fluker. He is my type of lineman, a huge, mean, nasty SOB. XWalker and me has had several debates on Fluker at the Draft Zone. He says that Fluker doesn't fit Callahan's scheme. I agree that he doesn't, but any scheme that can't use a lineman like Fluker is not too good of a scheme.

Reaction score
@TonyPauline 10m Close sources tell me DJ Fluker/T/Alabama is a real possibility for the Miami Dolphins with the 12th pick...more later..

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
:towel

Advanced scouting: Chance Warmack

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

To help preview who might be on the Dallas Cowboys’ board for the NFL draft, ESPNDallas.com has identified five players at five key positions that we’d like to learn more about. Along those lines, we’ve asked former Cowboys assistant coach Glenn “Stretch” Smith – the official scout of Galloway & Company – to study tape of each player and give his thoughts.

No. 2 Offensive lineman: Chance Warmack
Position: Guard
Height/weight: 6-foot-2, 317 pounds
School: Alabama

Why he’s on the radar: The Cowboys signed Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau in free agency last year but still want to upgrade the interior of the offensive line. Warmack is considered one of the top guards in the draft and probably will be off the board when its time for the Cowboys to select at No. 18. Warmack doesn't have the position flexibility the Cowboys normally want, but he's a solid player who has the potential to be a starter for the next 10 seasons.

Projection: First round

Stretch Truths: Played all four years at Alabama. … Has strong punch and power to press a defender in pass protection. … Good lower body to anchor, and balance that matches. … Has excellent feet to get to second-level blocks and run his feet through contact. … Is comfortable with a tackle over his nose. … I only question his true foot speed after running 40 in 5.49 seconds. … He’s the top guard in the draft and has a real nasty side. … Overall opinion: Take him if he's there with the 18th pick.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
ChanceWarmack1.jpg

looks like a classic road grader

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Broaddus: Under The Radar Guys At Tackle Could Make Difference

Posted 1 hour ago

Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout

For those of you that really follow this NFL Draft, you will know the names of Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, Lane Johnson and DJ Fluker but I am going to give you a little insight to a couple of guys that you might not know as well at offensive tackle.

Menelik Watson Florida State:

Has a quick set but will also have some over extension…will lead with his head at times…tries to extend on his man…has some trouble getting all the way to the edge…narrow base on drive block…can get knocked off balance…tends to over shoot on second level…keeps his feet moving…works to finish…has some nasty to him…didn’t show the strength for the cut off…technique can be all over the place in regards to hands and feet…not a smooth player…will hold to complete block…will tend to be a one legged player at times…had a nice pancake block against Miami…doesn’t always sustain…initial quickness on the inside set…not always in good position…can pin man inside if he catches him right…more catch than punch…got over powered on the goal line…didn’t adjust well in the twist game…has trouble sitting down….is a young guy that you are betting on his long range ability….

Jordan Mills Louisiana Tech:

Plays as a right tackle…can get to second level…down block…continues to move his feet when engaged…will carry his hands low...needs to punch better…allowed Moore of A&M to get the corner on him…plays in a two point stance…tends to reach more than drive…not always quick away from the LOS…really has to fight to get outside…tried to get out on the screen but wasn’t successful…has to push hard to get in front of his man…struggles with quick movement…has trouble when the rushers redirects…tends to get over the tops of his feet on set…will tend to catch blocks…has to really sink his butt to get away from LOS…more movement he has to face the more problems he has…I see a guy that really has nice size but his feet don’t move well enough for me right now…hard to be a successful tackle in this league when you struggle with your footwork.

Terron Armstead Arkansas-Pine Bluff

Plays as the left tackle….outstanding agility…can get up the field in a hurry on the screen…can finish his blocks…very light on his feet…can get outside on the screen…can finish his block…can work in front of his man…pulls easily…moves effortless…needs to set and kick wider…can wall off on the down block…can adjust…inconsistent on his set…can be quick than not…will ride his man up the field…will adjust on the twist…needs to punch better with his hands to stop charge…athletic to adjust and pass twist…will search out his man to hit on pull…didn’t keep his feet on cut off…gets hands inside…didn’t hit man square on trap…will get too high and try to muscle…keeps his head out of the block…able to extend…gets movement with his feet….projected as a second round player as well like Watson….I really like this kid…..there is a ton to develop here….his agility is a huge strength….know there will be concern about the small school experience but his best football is ahead of him…

Chris Faulk LSU

Plays as a right tackle…can get movement…will bounce off blocks to get to second level…doesn’t have very quick feet…has some upper body strength to sit down on rushers…will lunge at times…can get a little high in his set…can work on the down block…doesn’t always sustain…doesn’t always make the cut off block…can be late off the ball….will catch and steer as a run blocker…doesn’t put himself in good blocking positions…will struggle with inside movement…better moving his feet on the reach block…missed the 2012 with a right knee injury…really question how quickly he can move his feet….might be a candidate to move inside for a team that runs more of a power scheme….

Brennan Williams North Carolina

Lines up at right tackle…light on his feet…doesn’t extend his arms…can pull and hit the target…can adjust inside to move with rusher…shows some initial pop but needs to punch more often and better…showed some initial quickness…will get overextended at times…needs to be stronger on initial movement…was able to adjust to the twist…will work

his man past quarterback…gets to the second level…needs to get to the outside quicker on his set…longer he has to hold his block the harder it is for him to sustain it…can be knocked off balance…not always pretty in the way he does things but does have some positive qualities for a tackle….is an interesting player because there are plays where he is really good with his technique and his job but then other times where he doesn’t look like the same player…I believe there is something to work with if you could make him more consistent….

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Pat Kirwin is supposed to be some sort of expert, however after looking at this I don't see how anyone could think that.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

Are you basing this on because he has Ansah fallinjg out of the top 10, and Jonathan Cooper falling completely our of the 1st round? I had to look at his mock about 4 times just to be sure, that I was readinjg it correctly, and there it is: JONATHAN COOPER nowhere in the 1st.

And Jarvis Jones a top 10...?

I concur wholeheartedly with you, dbair.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Advanced scouting: Tony Jefferson

April, 8, 2013

To help preview who might be on the Dallas Cowboys’ board for the NFL draft, ESPNDallas.com has identified five players at five key positions that we’d like to learn more about. Along those lines, we’ve asked former Cowboys assistant coach Glenn “Stretch” Smith – the official scout of Galloway & Company – to study tape of each player and give his thoughts.

No. 2 safety: Tony Jefferson
Height/weight: 5-foot-11, 213 pounds

School: Oklahoma

Why he’s on the radar: The Cowboys are thin at safety thanks to the release of veteran Gerald Sensabaugh. Barry Church is one starter, but there is some concern about who will play alongside him. If the Cowboys don't draft a safety in the first two rounds, maybe getting Jefferson, who can play both safety spots, is an option. He's good in coverage and playing near the line of scrimmage.

Projection: Fifth round

Stretch Truths: Does not have top-end speed (ran the 40 in 4.75 seconds). … Not natural pedaling and turning his hips. … He is a box safety who can play the run with force. He’ll tackle with pop and deliver a blow. … Could be a demon on special teams but lacks size and speed to be an elite safety. … Cowboys need better in the first four rounds.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
broaddus said something interesting today. Mentioned that there are two SMU linebackers coming in for workouts on Dallas day.

He said they probably wont get drafted and are perfect scheme fits here with this defense, said to lookout for these two to be udfa signings......

mentioned they both looked good at the smu pro day.

I didn't catch the names clearly, but I think one was kevin pope, the other I couldn't hear him...

edit, I think it was randall joyner and kevin pope.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Advanced scouting: Joseph Randle
April, 9, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

No. 2 running back: Joseph Randle
Height/weight: 6-foot-1, 204 pounds
School: Oklahoma State

Why he’s on the radar: With durability issues regarding starter DeMarco Murray, the Cowboys are seeking quality backups in case of injury. Randle isn't the fastest running back in the draft -- posting 40 times of 4.54, 4.60 and 4.63 -- but he's a quality runner and led the Big 12 with 1,417 rushing yards last season. Randle (14 touchdowns in 2012) is a physical runner and can catch passes out of the backfield, making him an option on passing downs.

Projection: Second or third round

Stretch Truths: Is a straight-line back who runs upright and does not show a top-end gear. … Has good hands and runs good backfield routes. … Has adequate punch and pop as a pass blocker. … Because of his upright style, he needs to be in a zone scheme. … Overall opinion: I don't see him as a tough north/south back.

Top Bottom