Reaction score
Ellis is trading picks to move up for Rahim Moore. Pass on that draft.

I love Eatmans draft and the idea of adding Watkins who is a plug and play player. Get 2 rookies in there, **** it.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ellis is trading picks to move up for Rahim Moore. Pass on that draft.

I love Eatmans draft and the idea of adding Watkins who is a plug and play player. Get 2 rookies in there, **** it.

Watkins is 27 years old and at midseason next year, he'll be 28. HELL NO. You do not waste a 2nd rounder on a 27 year old-soon-to-be 28 year old rookie Olineman. People bristled over drafting Newman at 25 years old.

sbk92

Reaction score
Watkins is actually 26. He'll turn 27 in November. But I agree. I just don't like to draft old players like that. I think the fact that they are grown men plays a factor on how productive they were in college.

If he was around in the 3rd or 4th round, sure. But as the 40th overall selection in the draft? I wouldn't.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Watkins is actually 26. He'll turn 27 in November. But I agree. I just don't like to draft old players like that. I think the fact that they are grown men plays a factor on how productive they were in college.

If he was around in the 3rd or 4th round, sure. But as the 40th overall selection in the draft? I wouldn't.

It still depends on the grade. If he were a skill position guy like a QB, RB, WR, CB or pass rusher the age thing would be more of a concern. But if he's got a vastly superior grade to everyone else when they go on the clock and they think he's a sure starter, he's worth the pick. As an interior OL he can easily be a high quality starter well into his 30's.

That said, it doesnt sound like many people believe he'll be around when we pick at 40 anyway.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Watkins is 27 years old and at midseason next year, he'll be 28. HELL NO. You do not waste a 2nd rounder on a 27 year old-soon-to-be 28 year old rookie Olineman. People bristled over drafting Newman at 25 years old.

His DOB is 11-6-84 so he'd be 27 after midseason.

Again the age thing isnt ideal, but as an interior OL who has almost no mileage or history of injury it isnt that much of an issue. He could easily be a quality starter well into his 30's

sbk92

Reaction score
His DOB is 11-6-84 so he'd be 27 after midseason.

Again the age thing isnt ideal, but as an interior OL who has almost no mileage or history of injury it isnt that much of an issue. He could easily be a quality starter well into his 30's

Could be.

But you're ignoring the fact that he played his college games as a grown man and that's a distinct advantage that he won't have in the NFL.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Could be.

But you're ignoring the fact that he played his college games as a grown man and that's a distinct advantage that he won't have in the NFL.

He was also playing against those guys after having been away from the game for 4yrs. His advanced age helps some, but the fact that he was very good cant just be atrributed to that either. He had to learnt to play, and he played LT there too, the most difficult OL position.

I dont think we're going to get him anyway because he's going to be gone, but if somehow he is there at 40 there could be some interesting discussions going on in the warroom.

Reaction score
He would be a top 20 pick if he were 21 years old

Ill take 6 years of that caliber player at #40.

Last edited:

sbk92

Reaction score
He would be a top 20 pick if he were 21 years old

Ill take that 6 years of that caliber player at #40.

I don't agree.

You have to be a pretty special player to go top 20 as a G.

Pouncey might do that this year, but a lot of that has to do with his brother's success. If he's Mike Smith, he's probably an early 2nd round pick.

Reaction score
Iupati went 16th, or 17th last year

And there is absolutely no precedent for anyone to be overrated based on their last name

eli_manning.jpg

Top Bottom