sbk92

Reaction score
2-Cent Drafts

DallasCowboys.com

IRVING, Texas - For the second straight week, the staff writers of DallasCowboys.com weigh in on a personalized Cowboys' mock draft, selecting eight players for the upcoming draft.

Call it a projection, or maybe a wish list of sorts, but every week leading up to the draft, writers Rob Phillips, Josh Ellis and Nick Eatman will give their eight-pick predictions, trying to fill the needs for this Cowboys team.

This week, all three writers changed their first-round pick for the Cowboys, with three different players. Last week, USC tackle Tyron Smith was taken twice, but didn't make the list this time around.

Nick Eatman
1(9) Nick Fairley DL Auburn
2(40) Danny Watkins G/C Baylor
3(71) DeAndre McDaniel S Clemson
4(109) Jeremy Kerley WR TCU
5(140) James Carpenter OL Alabama
6(171) Stevan Ridley RB LSU
7(210) Jabara Williams LB Stephen F. Austin
7(251) Cortez Allen CB The Citadel

Eatman's Mock Analysis: Why not? The more I see Nick Fairley falling to the No. 8 spot, the more I think the Cowboys might do what they can to get him. Wherever he ends up playing, having a dominating force in the middle will help this team. And if you have to trade up a spot or two, it'd be worth it. You know Jerry will trade around in the middle rounds to get any picks he might lose by trading up. I'm sticking with the Danny Watkins pick at No. 2. I just think his versatility is too valuable. I switched to TCU's Jeremy Kerley in the fourth round. His return ability and straight-line speed is coveted. And how about a power back like Stevan Ridley to possibly replace Marion Barber. Went small school in the seventh round. The LB Jabara Williams might not last that long.

-

Rob Phillips
1(9) Cameron Jordan DE California
2(40) Rahim Moore S UCLA
3(71) James Brewer T Indiana
4(109) Justin Boren G Ohio St.
5(140) Chykie Brown CB Texas
6(171) Bilal Powell RB Louisville
7(210) D'Aundre Reed DE/OLB Arizona
7(251) Dane Sanzenbacher WR Ohio St.

Phillips' Mock Analysis: I'm still hedging my bet on the Cowboys' first-rounder given Jerry Jones' statement that they could have the option to trade down. Cameron Jordan or Wisconsin's J.J. Watt might still be there a few spots past No. 9, and both fill arguably the Cowboys' biggest need: an athletic, versatile defensive end. Jordan has already played multiple line positions in a 3-4 scheme at Cal. It's well-documented that 3-4 ends don't have high pass-rush numbers, but Rob Ryan plans on giving opponents multiple looks and could probably mix and match players like Jay Ratliff, Josh Brent, Stephen Bowen (if he's re-signed) and Jordan. If the Cowboys stay put at No. 9, USC offensive tackle Tyron Smith and Nebraska's Prince Amukamara also fill needs. Rahim Moore is an instinctive safety and likely the best in a weak class, depending on how teams view Texas' Aaron Williams. Fellow Longhorn Chykie Brown has decent size, good quickness and tackling ability. Bilal Powell had a great senior season at Louisville - smart, instinctive runner.

-

Josh Ellis
1(9) Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson
2(40) Ben Ijalana OL Villanova
3(71) Marcus Gilchrist DB Clemson
4(109) Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU
5(140) Mark Herzlich ILB Boston College
6(171) Cedric Thornton DL Southern Arkansas
7(210) Alex Linnenkohl C Oregon St.
7(251) Andrew Phillips G Stanford

Ellis' Mock Analysis: I rethought the Cowboys' direction in the first round this week, which caused some shuffling down below. Last week my pick was Tyron Smith, but I was sort of overcome by the feeling that at age 20 and with limited experience compared to the other tackles in the draft, the team might not be comfortable making him a starter right away. The Cowboys' dream scenario, I think, would be for one of the top three defensive linemen to slip to them, and with Da'Quan Bowers' knee trouble, I think he could fall much lower than originally projected. He's big enough to play the end, but is also athletic. Mario Williams is probably an optimistic comparison. After that, I like Ben Ijalana and Marcus Gilchrist to fill needs because they both have some versatility. Ijalana could be a guard or tackle, and Gilchrist could be a safety or corner. Inside linebacker is underrated as a need, so maybe the Cowboys address the position with numbers.

sbk92

Reaction score
If you had to sign off on one of these draft classes, which would it be?

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Nick Eatman, although I can't stand the DeAndre McDaniel pick.

Really though, I hate all 3.

C

Cr122

It would be between Eatman and Phillips.

So I guess I'd sign off on Phillips.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'd go with Phillips. I would like Fairly over Jordan, but what would tip the scales in favor of Phillips would be S Rahim Moore over S McDaniel, T Brewer and G Boling over T Carpenter and G Watkins (too old). And I like the Bilal pick. So it'd be Phillips for me, although I am not overwhelmed by Phillips picks, I could live with it. I've certainly seen worse. I don't like Ellis' draft at all. The only picks I like of his are the Shepperd and Gilchrist.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'd probably take Eatman's. With Phillips right there too but I just don't think of Jordan as a top 10 pick and he drafted a white receiver.

sbk92

Reaction score
Taking pieces of all three classes, I'd prefer this....

2(40) Ben Ijalana T/G Villanova
5(140) James Carpenter T/G Alabama

Heavy on the lines but I think those were the best picks. And throwing numbers at those weaknesses isn't a bad idea. With our track record, we can't expect to take one and hit on the pick.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Taking pieces of all three classes, I'd prefer this....

2(40) Ben Ijalana T/G Villanova
5(140) James Carpenter T/G Alabama

Heavy on the lines but I think those were the best picks. And throwing numbers at those weaknesses isn't a bad idea. With our track record, we can't expect to take one and hit on the pick.

I'd be very pleased with that effort.

No safety help, but you can't fix all the problems on this team in one draft.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I'd be very pleased with that effort.

No safety help, but you can't fix all the problems on this team in one draft.

Me too.Fairley and some fairly decent OL depth?Hell yeah.

It's a weak safety class anyway,so shopping FAs(someday) and UDFAs(someday)might be the better option anyway.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
All three of their mocks are useless anyway, because 1.) Fairly is not going to drop that far to us, 2.) if we end up with Jordan, then more than likely we traded down, and 3.) even if Bowers is there we do not take him with the myriad of problems and questions he has.

Why didn't these writers make a mock based on the solid possibility of Tyron Smith being the pick?

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
All three of their mocks are useless anyway, because 1.) Fairly is not going to drop that far to us, 2.) if we end up with Jordan, then more than likely we traded down, and 3.) even if Bowers is there we do not take him with the myriad of problems and questions he has.

Why didn't these writers make a mock based on the solid possibility of Tyron Smith being the pick?

I imagine they're just bored,plus they work for DallasCowboys.com,so they've got get Jerry's drycleaning.
Here's the one from the previous week:
Writers Give 7-Round Cowboys Mock

DallasCowboys.com Report

IRVING, Texas - This time of year, you can't stumble across anyone's NFL Draft coverage without finding some sort of mock draft.

Whether or not they pan out, it's always fun to project.

So with five weeks before the start of the NFL Draft - the only thing we've got to look forward to right now as the league remains in a lockout - the staff writers of DallasCowboys.com weighed in with a seven-round mock draft, listing only the Cowboys' picks.

Call it a projection, or maybe a wish list of sorts, but every week leading up to the draft, writers Rob Phillips, Josh Ellis and Nick Eatman will give their seven-pick mock drafts, trying to fill the needs for this Cowboys team.

This week's forecast includes two first-round picks for Southern Cal offensive tackle Tyron Smith, who seems to be darting up the draft board, although all three writers agree that a trade-down in the first round is a strong possibility.

Nick Eatman
1(9) Tyron Smith T USC
3(71) DeAndre McDaniel S Clemson
4(109) Edmund Gates WR Abilene Christian
5(140) K.J. Wright LB Mississippi State
6(171) Taiwan Jones RB Eastern Washington
7(210) Jonathan Nelson CB/S Oklahoma
7(251) Ollie Ogbu DT Penn State

Eatman's Mock Analysis: I've said all along that this No. 9 pick seems to be a tricky spot. It might be too low to get one of the stud players like Marcell Dareus, Nick Fairley or Da'Quan Bowers, but too high to really address needs. That's why I'm going with Tyron Smith, although he is someone I think would be there in the middle of the first round. I see the Cowboys strongly considering trading down to add a second- or third-round pick. Danny Watkins might not be around at No. 40, but his versatility, strength and toughness is valuable. I won't be surprised if he's the club's second pick, but maybe not at 40. Edmond Gates is someone who can flat-out fly and this team needs that. The RB Taiwan Jones is a small-school guy, but could be a dynamic player.

-

Rob Phillips
1(9) Cameron Jordan DE California
3(71) Marcus Gilchrist CB/S Clemson
4(109) Marcus Gilbert T Florida
5(140) Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU
6(171) Evan Royster RB Penn State
7(210) D'Aundre Reed DE/OLB Arizona
7(251) Dane Sanzenbacher WR Ohio State

Phillips' Mock Analysis: I'm hedging my bet on the Cowboys' first-rounder given Jerry Jones' statement that they could have the option to trade down. Cameron Jordan might still be there a few spots past No. 9, and he fills their biggest need: an athletic, versatile defensive end who has already played multiple line positions in a 3-4 scheme at Cal. It's well-documented that 3-4 ends don't have high pass rush numbers, but Rob Ryan plans on giving opponents multiple looks and could probably mix and match players like Jay Ratliff, Josh Brent, Stephen Bowen (if he's re-signed) and Jordan. Baylor's Danny Watkins might not last until the early second round, but his ability to play three O-line positions is invaluable. Clemson's Marcus Gilchrist is a combo DB with return skills. In the later rounds, LSU's Kelvin Sheppard (ILB) and Arizona's D'Aundre Reed (OLB) have the size and skills to potentially fit in a 3-4.

-

Josh Ellis
1(9) Tyron Smith T USC
2(40) Quinton Carter S Oklahoma
3(71) Jerrell Powe NT Ole Miss
4(109) Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU
5(140) Cedric Thornton DL Southern Arkansas
6(171) Chris Rucker DB Michigan State
7(210) Alex Linnenkohl C Oregon State
7(251) Greg Lloyd ILB UConn

Ellis' Mock Analysis: Assuming they have their choice of the offensive tackles and all the top D-linemen are gone, I think the Cowboys have to fix an offensive line that is starting to break down. Tyron Smith will be the top-ranked tackle on a lot of boards, and you've got to like getting the best player available at any position. Defense, obviously, was an even bigger problem last year, but you can patch holes there with the next few picks and in free agency whenever it finally rolls around. The pick I really like is Jerrell Powe, who should be able to play end or nose tackle in a 3-4. Kelvin Sheppard in the fourth round might be a pipe dream, but there should be an inside linebacker who gets heavy consideration in the early rounds.

sbk92

Reaction score
It wasn't my dream scenario. Just making the best of the three classes.

I suppose you could put Rahim Moore in there at 40. I prefer Ijalana. We're so needy at offensive line that all 4 of those guys would have a realistic chance of playing here.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
It wasn't my dream scenario. Just making the best of the three classes.

I suppose you could put Rahim Moore in there at 40. I prefer Ijalana. We're so needy at offensive line that all 4 of those guys would have a realistic chance of playing here.

I'd go with Ijalana also.

Resign Sensabaugh.

Sign Huff.

With more talent on the defensive line and with a better defensive scheme, the defense's ranking would shoot up a great deal without drafting a safety.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'd go with Ijalana also.

Resign Sensabaugh.

Sign Huff.

With more talent on the defensive line and with a better defensive scheme, the defense's ranking would shoot up a great deal without drafting a safety.

That's assuming we get nothing from Owusu-Ansah. Maybe he can be a factor next year.

If he plays safety like he returns kicks, maybe not.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
That's assuming we get nothing from Owusu-Ansah. Maybe he can be a factor next year.

If he plays safety like he returns kicks, maybe not.

He certainly could factor in. I think he has more upside than the other young safeties on the roster, but he has to show something.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If you had to sign off on one of these draft classes, which would it be?

probably Eatman, though I have reservations about how Fairley would fit into our 3-4 defense.

Watkins, Carpenter and Ridley are all good picks IMO, though I dont think Carpenter is available where he has him going though.

sbk92

Reaction score
probably Eatman, though I have reservations about how Fairley would fit into our 3-4 defense.

I thought he could put on 10-15 lbs and be a beast inside. Instead he's gone the other way and leaned up. So now he can be a beast at DE.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Updated: April 8, 2011, 4:14 PM

IRVING, Texas - For the third straight week, the staff of writers of DallasCowboys.com weigh in on a personalized Cowboys' mock draft, selecting eight players for the upcoming draft.

Call it a projection, or maybe a wish list of sorts, but every week leading up to the draft, writers Rob Phillips, Josh Ellis and Nick Eatman will give their eight-pick mock drafts, trying to fill the needs for this Cowboys team.

This week, all three writers again changed their first-round pick for the Cowboys. USC tackle Tyron Smith was again picked twice with the No. 9.

NICK EATMAN

1. (#9) Tyron Smith, OT, USC
2. (#40) Danny Watkins, G/C Baylor
3. (#71) Kelvin Sheppard, ILB, LSU
4. (#109) Stevan Ridley, RB, LSU
5. (#140) Edmund Gates, WR, Abilene Christian
6. (#171) Jabara Williams, ILB, Stephen F. Austin
7. (#210) Cory Grant, DT, TCU
7. (#251) Cortez Allen, CB, The Citadel

ROB PHILLIPS

1. (#9) Tyron Smith, OT, USC
2. (#40) Christian Ballard, DL, Iowa
3. (#71) Marcus Gilchrist, CB/S, Clemson
4. (#109) Justin Boren, G, Ohio State
5. (#140) Chykie Brown, CB, Texas
6. (#171) Jamie Harper, RB, Clemson
7. (#210) CorD'Aundre Reed, DE/OLB, Arizona
7. (#251) Obi Ezeh, ILB, Michigan

JOSH ELLIS

1. (#9) Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
2. (#40) Rahim Moore, S, UCLA
3. (#71) Kelvin Sheppard, ILB, LSU
4. (#109) Jerrell Powe, DL, Ole Miss
5. (#140) Devon Torrence, CB, Ohio State
6. (#171) Alex Linnenkohl, C, Oregon State
7. (#210) Cedric Thornton, DL, Southern Arkansas
7. (#251) Courtney Smith, WR, South Alabama

Eatman's Mock Analysis: Because of the injury to Da'Quan Bowers, which could drop him out of the first round completely, I think it's unlikely that Nick Fairley would drop to No. 9 or even close enough for the Cowboys to trade up. So I'm switching back from Fairley to Tyron Smith. Meeting him this week, I think he seems like a great, talented young man with a bright future. He'd be a guy worth ending a 30-year drought of not taking a lineman in the first round. I'm sticking with Watkins at Baylor - somehow I think the Cowboys get him. Then it's a run on LSU players. These guys are coached by a former NFL coach in Les Miles and therefore they seem ready to play right away. ACU's Gates could be a great find, if he's still around.

Phillips' Mock Analysis: OK, I've been reluctant to take a first-round tackle because, well, the Cowboys haven't done so in 30 years. But it is a big need, and Tyron Smith has all the tools to be a star. Bulking up to 310 pounds was important for the next level, and his frame could probably allow more weight. I've been advocating the need for a pass-rushing defensive end all along, and Christian Ballard could project well in a 3-4 scheme. Clemson's Marcus Gilchrist is a combo DB with return skills. Fellow Tiger Jamie Harper is a big, physical back with deceptive speed. Obi Ezeh, a four-year starter at Michigan, provides some inside linebacker depth and has some 3-4 experience. Wide receiver depth is a need, but it's tough to fit everything in eight picks.

Ellis' Mock Analysis: Seeing as how the Cowboys brought in all of the first-round offensive linemen this week, I think they're zeroing in on that need in the early going. Jerry Jones hasn't ever picked a blocker in Round One, but this would be a good year to buck the trend. I would give them USC's Tyron Smith again, as I did in our first mock, but I'm starting to think he'll be gone by pick No. 9. With Castonzo, I'm projecting a slight trade down to pick up more ammo, which could help the Cowboys move up later to grab Moore, a safety that would fit really well here. I've had Sheppard penciled in as the fourth-rounder for a while, but moved him up this week because I doubt he would be available on Day Three. Powe is a massive, strong guy who could play either nose tackle or defensive end in the 3-4, while Torrence has good size for an NFL corner. My one regret is not finding a center/guard earlier, but there are so many holes and a limited number of picks.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I like Josh Ellis' pick the best. Change from the Castanzo to Tyron Smith, and I'm sold on the first four picks. I still want Kenrick Ellis, but I'd be just as happy with Powe.

Top Bottom