Reaction score
That fucking game got nerve wracking as hell at the end. Pitts fans DOMINATED the damn stadium & all I could see were terrible towels everywhere. Once they pulled off the onside kick, the game was theirs to lose as they had all the momentum BUT then O'Donnell sent those two gifts from football heaven

I love making Kneeler fans eat that shit burger to this day. I'm ready to counter all their bullshit excuses too:

1) No, Pittsburgh did not dominate, and should not have won because they never had the lead in the game, and lost by double digits.

2) Neil O'donnell is not the only QB to throw an interception in the Super Bowl. Claiming he threw the game for Dallas is as stupid as claiming Jim Kelly did the same for the Bills against Dallas.

3) Dallas beat Pittsburgh by more points in one SB than if you combine the margin of victories in both of their wins against Dallas.

4) We didn't need all time historic referee bullshit to win our game like the Kneelers did in SB 10.

5) The Dallas Cowboys, that's right COWBOYS, ruined the Kneelers' perfect SB record.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
My overriding memory of SBXXX was one of frustration. I was glad when that one was over. I remember Emmitt ripping off a 30 yard gain on the first play from scrimmage leading to Novacek's TD. But after that the Steelers played us really well. Emmitt ended up with something like 19 carries for 49 yards. With a good QB I think the Steelers win that game. I got the feeling during the game that we were witnessing the death throes of a dynasty.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
I still have my shitty copy of that 49ers game at the soggy stick. I recorded it as I watched it with my trusty VHS VCR back then. Kept the tape all the way to the early 2000s when I transferred it to DVD. These days I keep it on an external hard drive. I still have many of those games from that era that I recorded myself though better copies are on the internet now.

I fially threw away all my VCR tapes from that era. No way to play them anymore since I dont have a vcr.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I got the feeling during the game that we were witnessing the death throes of a dynasty.

That whole season felt that way to me and I firmly believed the fat lady was singing loudly. That team was struggling toward the end of that season. They came out like gangbusters at 8-1 and were set to get their revenge on the Niners at home with a back up QB and got the ever loving shit kicked out of them. It was disgusting! They got to 10-2 by winning the next 2 games and then lost for the second time to the Redskins (coached by Norv Turner) and then the dreaded loss to Philly after Switzer went for it twice on 4th down and failed.

The team looked like they fell into a malaise after that loss and it showed as they struggled mightily against the 5-9 Giants. IIRC, it was late in the 4th quarter and the Cowboys were trailing and it was 3rd and 10 when Kevin Williams made that diving catch and they ultimately pulled out the victory.

Because the Niners held the tie breaker for home field advantage because of their win over Dallas and everyone expected an easy win for them, IIRC, it appeared Dallas would be playing a meaningless game vs the Cardinals on Monday night. But, IIRC, while they were on the plane to Az, they got the news the 49ers had lost and that was like a bolt of adrenaline to a tired team and they came out and whipped the Cardinals 37-13 locking up home field advantage throughout and the all important bye this tired bunch desperately needed.

the rest is history

What'd I mess up this time EC?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
the only downer was Lin Elliott. missed a sure FG before the half and an extra point in the 4th to keep SF within 10. then he stunk it up in 1993 and was cut after two games.

Didn't Ellott stupidly go up to Jimmy and say "coach, I've lost my confidence" to which Jimmy promptly responded by cutting him immediately

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
That whole season felt that way to me and I firmly believed the fat lady was singing loudly. That team was struggling toward the end of that season. They came out like gangbusters at 8-1 and were set to get their revenge on the Niners at home with a back up QB and got the ever loving shit kicked out of them. It was disgusting! They got to 10-2 by winning the next 2 games and then lost for the second time to the Redskins (coached by Norv Turner) and then the dreaded loss to Philly after Switzer went for it twice on 4th down and failed.

The team looked like they fell into a malaise after that loss and it showed as they struggled mightily against the 5-9 Giants. IIRC, it was late in the 4th quarter and the Cowboys were trailing and it was 3rd and 10 when Kevin Williams made that diving catch and they ultimately pulled out the victory.

Because the Niners held the tie breaker for home field advantage because of their win over Dallas and everyone expected an easy win for them, IIRC, it appeared Dallas would be playing a meaningless game vs the Cardinals on Monday night. But, IIRC, while they were on the plane to Az, they got the news the 49ers had lost and that was like a bolt of adrenaline to a tired team and they came out and whipped the Cardinals 37-13 locking up home field advantage throughout and the all important bye this tired bunch desperately needed.

the rest is history

Spot on. Exactly how I remember it. They really had to dig deep and grind it out after that 49er loss (Elvis Grbac was the QB IIRC). I think it took a lot out of some of the older vets.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score

the rest is history

That Cardinals game and win was huge.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Didn't Ellott stupidly go up to Jimmy and say "coach, I've lost my confidence" to which Jimmy promptly responded by cutting him immediately

:lol

Yep. 48 hours later, Eddie Murray was a Cowboy.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I’m watching the Football life on Jimmy Johnson and getting to relive two of those three Super Bowls

Fuck no I wouldn’t trade them. Those are some great memories

I might trade the Switzer super bowl for a slow painful death of Jerry Jones

But I wouldn’t trade the first two

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

the rest is history

Yeah Aikman described the feeling after winning the super bowl IIRC as "relieved".

That said the 95 team did have some injury issues. Erik Williams had returned to play RT but wasn't anywhere near as good as he was pre-injury. Charles Haley had the back problems for most of the 2nd half of that season and struggled down the stretch. (Missed last few games of season too). The one other huge injury was C Ray Donaldson, who was having an awesome year as Stepnoski's replacement. He went down and missed last 4 or 5 games (he was so good he was still voted to the pro bowl) and we had to replace him with lard ass Derek Kennard, who was nowhere near as good. OLB Darrin Smith had that ridiculous hold out early in the season and showed up fat and out of shape, and was nowhere near as good as he had been in his 1st two yrs in the league. The Kevin Smith injury in week one (even though we would sign Deion) was also really bad. Smith was one of the really good young CB's in the league then. Leon Lett also got suspended for 4 games that yr.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
9bc80ef4948c60a33f096ce68304be22.jpg

Reaction score
The meme idea I had was similar except it had a 21 year old young father with his 2 year old son, and lamenting to him that "they've sucked since before I was born too, son."

Top Bottom