Reaction score
Frank Clark accepts plea, serious charges dismissed

By Mark Snyder, Detroit Free Press

Former Michigan defensive end Frank Clark's path to the NFL draft might have cleared significantly.

He will not have a domestic violence conviction on his record and he will not need to return to jail.
Clark accepted a plea bargain at the Sandusky Municipal Court in Ohio on Thursday that dismissed his first-degree misdemeanor charges for domestic violence and assault. He pleaded guilty to a charge of persistent disorderly conduct, a fourth-degree misdemeanor, according to a court official.

He was also sentenced Thursday, with a fine of $250, court costs of $100 and an undisclosed probation fee. He will not have to serve any additional jail time.

The charges stemmed from an incident Nov.15 at a Sandusky indoor water park, the Maui Sands, where witnesses told police that Clark roughed up his live-in 20-year-old girlfriend while spending a bye weekend with her family.
He immediately was jailed and two days later was released on bond. That same day, then-Michigan coach Brady Hoke kicked Clark off the team, ending his career a week before senior day and with two games left in the season.
Clark is now an NFL prospect, and domestic violence has been a hot-button issue for the league since Ray Rice punched his then-fiancée in an Atlantic City elevator.

At the time of the incident, the witnesses — which included two of the girlfriend's younger brothers and other hotel guests — described a brutal scene in the hotel room to police. The girlfriend, Diamond Hurt, said she and Clark began to argue while lying on the bed. She said she threw a TV remote control at him, and he responded by trying to restrain her. She said that she tried to get loose by biting his nose. Then she said he pushed her head into the bed, they got off the bed and he punched her in the face, knocking her back and breaking a lamp. She said that she threw an alarm clock at him as he prepared to leave.

Both brothers said that they saw Clark hitting their sister. One brother told police that Clark had consumed at least a fifth of Hennessy — Hurt's breath test measured .000%. One brother said Clark grabbed her by the throat, picked her off the ground and slammed her down.

Perkins Township officer Martin Curran told the Free Press at the time: "She's got a large welt on the side of her cheek, she's got marks on her neck. She had what looked like rug burn on her one thigh."
At the NFL's scouting combine in February — which came before his pretrail hearing — Clark made his first comments to reporters:

"I don't want to get into too much detail. The detail I did get into I did with NFL teams. When we were in the room, the person involved let something get out of hand and took something further than what it was planned.

"You look at a phone and nowadays these phones get a lot of people in trouble. I'm not saying I'm a womanizer or anything of that nature. I'm just saying it was a confrontation between me and one of my friends and the woman involved took it to another level that it shouldn't have been taken to.

"That's fine. I'm not throwing her under the bus. I'm not saying she did anything wrong. I'm just saying that a lot of things that happened in that room that night could have been avoided."

U-M's best defensive player last season, Clark performed extremely well at the combine, measuring 6-feet-3, 271 pounds and showing remarkable agility with the best 60-yard defensive lineman shuttle since 2006 and among the best in a number of other drills.

Because of the off-field trouble, some draftniks like the NFL Network's Mike Mayock and ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. have speculated Clark may fall significantly or go undrafted. But with his court case settled and the domestic violence charge dropped, his stock could rebound before the April 30 draft.

On Clark's NFL.com profile, there is analysis that he could be drafted in the top 100 picks and an anonymous scout who said he wouldn't last past the fourth round.

Reaction score
First round talent that's gonna fall at a position of need for us.

But can we draft him after signing Hardy? PR nightmare, right?

Be fun watching CZ spin this.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
sounds like the gf was the aggressor in all this. He should have shown better restraint; but he's probably a steroid freak anyways.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Yeah, I want as many angry players on the defense as possible. There are two things missing from this defense, an angry attitude and speed. These anger issues are not a problem with me. American women are spoiled and need to be put in their place from time to time. A good ass beating is deserved in some cases.

Reaction score
AP
Prospects can catch teams’ eyes during the spring with fast 40 times, good on-field work with coaches and sharp interviews.

And a good plea bargain never hurt.

Via Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com, the Cowboys had Michigan defensive end Frank Clark in for a visit last week, and are intrigued by his potential, especially after his recent day in court.

Clark pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct last week, and was sentenced to three days in jail and counseling. That eliminated the previous domestic violence charges which resulted in his being thrown off the team at Michigan last November.

Of course, the Cowboys signed a free agent who avoided similar charges when they picked up Greg Hardy. That they gave him a contract which gives them some financial cover doesn’t hide the fact they rolled the dice on a player with issues — which they’ve attempted to solve by having Jerry Jones’ daughter endorse the move.

Of course, Clark’s still got something to prove, as he was viewed as a third-day prospect. But the Cowboys have shown interest, and now that the courts have ruled in his favor, there’s a better chance they’ll give him one.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Brugler scouting report on Clarke. Has him as his 12th rated DE

FRANK CLARK | Michigan 6027|271 lbs|4SR Cleveland, Ohio (Glenville HS) 6/14/1993 (age 21) #57

2011: (12/0) 10/0.5/0.0/0/0 GRADE 5th Round
2012: (11/4) 25/9.0/2.0/1/1 MEASUREABLES Arm: 34 3/8 | Hand: 10 1/8 | Wingspan: 83 7/8
2013: (13/13) 43/12.0/4.5/0/2 COMBINE 40-YD: 4.79 | 10-YD: 1.69 | 20-YD: 2.81 | BP: 19 | VJ: 38 1/2 | BJ: 09’10” | SS: 4.05 | 3C: 7.08 | LS: 11.22
2014: (10/9) 42/13.5/4.5/0/1 PRO DAY 40-YD: 4.67
Total: (46/26) 120/35.0/11.0/1/4

BACKGROUND: A three-star linebacker recruit out of high school, Clark narrowed his college choice to Michigan, Michigan State or North Carolina, committing to the Wolverines. He played in 12 games as true freshman, mostly on special teams, recording 10 tackles in 2011. Clark earned four starts at defensive end in 2012 as a sophomore, finishing with 25 tackles, 9.0 tackles for loss and 2.0 sacks. He started all 13 games in 2013 as a junior and recorded 43 tackles, 12.0 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks, earning Second Team All-Big Ten honors. Clark started nine games as a senior before he was dismissed for an off-field incident, finishing the 2014 season with 42 tackles, 13.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks.

STRENGTHS: Powerful build with good body thickness – added 60+ pounds the last four seasons, working hard to develop his growth potential…quick first step upfield with sustained momentum to work off blocks and win the edge, taking sharp angles to the pocket…active, quick hands to work through blockers with excellent push-pull technique…sets up his moves and appears to have a rush strategy, making adjustments throughout the game…attacks the chest of blockers and drives them backwards, locking out with his long arms…closes fast and violent…hyper-active motor with top-shelf hustle to finish through the whistle…relentless in pursuit and closes with violence…improved backfield vision with the discipline and recognition to stay at home, trusting his eyes and holding the edge…has some experience dropping in space with fluid feet and the natural instincts…productive starter with 35.0 tackles for loss in 26 career starts…attended counseling since his dismissal from Michigan and has invested time and energy into reconciling the situation.

WEAKNESSES: Almost too muscle bound, restricting his movements at times…overaggressive and will over-run plays due to his high-effort style…inconsistent leverage off the edge and prefers to use his natural ability over fundamentals…needs to consistently load more ammo into his punch…suspect anticipation in space and can be late to react – late off the snap too often…needs to better break down on the move to control his momentum and finish…worrisome off-field red flags – dismissed from the program after a domestic violence arrest (Nov. 2014) for allegedly striking his girlfriend in a hotel room (case is still pending); arrested (June 2012) and convicted of second-degree felony home invasion after stealing a laptop from a dorm room; pulled over for driving on the wrong side of the center line (March 2014) without proof of insurance or proper plates and had a bench warrant issued after he missed his court date.

SUMMARY: Ted Ginn Sr.’s Glenville program in Cleveland has been a feeder school for Ohio State, but Clark was one of the few studs that the Buckeyes let get away and he ended up at that school up north. He left high school as a 210-pound linebacker and developed into a 270-pound bruiser off the edge, abusing blockers with quickness and power. Clark takes pride in using his hands to work through blocks and he not only uses them, but understands how to use them, which is refreshing to see at the college level. His energetic and anxious style will cause him to play out of control at times, but he has the skill-set to start in the NFL as an edge rusher in a 4-3 or 3-4 defense. But Clark’s history of immaturity and poor decision-making away from the game are strong concerns and will eliminate him from draft consideration for several teams –

Top Bottom