theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This game was a monument to how far behind the 8 ball this team is. I dont care how well this team drafts, in the salary cap era the last 23 years has taught us that you arent going to out talent the rest of the league.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
This game was a monument to how far behind the 8 ball this team is. I dont care how well this team drafts, in the salary cap era the last 23 years has taught us that you arent going to out talent the rest of the league.

Yep coaching is paramount. And FO competence. Most teams are pretty close in personnel quality.

Reaction score
They should bring that back and do away with preseason altogether. 18 regular season games. And do away with the pro bowl.

I would love that. I could see the two conference title game losing teams squaring off for the official third place ranking in a new Playoff Bowl that takes place the Saturday before the Super Bowl. There could even be further incentives for the winner such as a guaranteed Monday Night home game the following season.

Preseason games have become such a joke any way with teams like Dallas too scared to even use them properly by letting starters shake off some rust. These could be replaced with teams agreeing to scrimmages against each other for evaluations and rust shaking for a few weeks before the season starts.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I would love that. I could see the two conference title game losing teams squaring off for the official third place ranking in a new Playoff Bowl that takes place the Saturday before the Super Bowl. There could even be further incentives for the winner such as a guaranteed Monday Night home game the following season.

Preseason games have become such a joke any way with teams like Dallas too scared to even use them properly by letting starters shake off some rust. These could be replaced with teams agreeing to scrimmages against each other for evaluations and rust shaking for a few weeks before the season starts.

Well... Along with elimination of the preseason I'd also increase roster size. I'd start at 70, with 55 active on game day and eliminate the stupid "practice squad" shit.

Players can either cut it or they cant. Their "development" should happen in games that count.

JPP1974

Ready for Summertime
Reaction score
Very good and high scoring game. But in the end, the winning team is all that mattered. Rams are 4-0 and Vikings 1-2-1.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Watching the Rams and Vikings makes one thing crystal clear....

We are so far away from being a contender that it’s not even funny!

The NFC is loaded, or so it seems at the quarter pole. There are 4 or 5 legimate contenders in the conference and a couple more that could get hot down the stretch and stir things up even more.
The Dallas Cowboys are not one of those teams.

Reaction score
Some more stats geek stuff about the Cowboys and certain games:

The Cowboys have won at all 5 major historic college Bowl game locations. Note that it is a personal choice to include the Cotton Bowl because it was a major Bowl until it was suplanted by the Fiesta Bowl as one of the big 4.

1) Orange Bowl - As previously linked, the Cowboys defeated the Vikings in the Playoff Bowl in January of 1969.
2) Sugar Bowl - Dallas won several games in the Super Dome.
3) Fiesta Bowl - Dallas won several games here vs the Cardinals when Tempe hosted this Bowl game.
4) Cotton Bowl - Home stadium for many years.
5) Rose Bowl - defeated Buffalo in the Super Bowl.

Exhibition Grand Slam: The Cowboys have won a Playoff Bowl, Hall of Fame Game, American Bowl, and College All-Star game. I believe the Packers also have won all four, but I'm not sure if any other team has just off recollection.

Last edited:

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
mcvay gets his WR matched up vs a LB ... 70 yd td

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Through 4 weeks the biggest problem the Vikings have (besides their linebackers not being able to cover and blowing it against Buffalo) is their offensive line. The left tackle Riley Reiff in particular, is the worst lineman in the league right now not named Chaz Green...

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Off of play action to boot. That LB waited to make sure it wasn't a hand off. By that time Cupp is running past him.

rams use playaction on almost 40% of their passing plays (goff leads league in most playaction passes)

cowboys are somewhere around mid 20s percentile (this is middle of the league)

in 2016, dak was #1 qb in playaction

cowboys run about the same percentage of playaction passes in 2016 as they did in 2018... except the whole league is doing a LOT more playaction so while the league changed, dallas remained the same.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Through 4 weeks the biggest problem the Vikings have (besides their linebackers not being able to cover and blowing it against Buffalo) is their offensive line. The left tackle Riley Reiff in particular, is the worst lineman in the league right now not named Chaz Green...

Sorry, but it looks like their biggest problem is shitty defense to me.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Sorry, but it looks like their biggest problem is shitty defense to me.

Of course, their defense is in crappy shape. But offensive wise the line is what's going to make or break them. The fumbles and lack of a running game are a direct result of lousy blocking.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm just hoping they don't go undefeated. Got a life long buddy that is a Rams fan. I'd never live it down if they pull off an undefeated season.

This is the parity era, and as odd as it may seem, a team going undefeated is more likely IMO. Because now, and unlike the past, most team's identity is average. If a team happens to be really good for a year who then stands in their way? All average teams. Years ago there was a chance a team would run into a really good D and get stomped.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
This is the parity era, and as odd as it may seem, a team going undefeated is more likely IMO. Because now, and unlike the past, most team's identity is average. If a team happens to be really good for a year who then stands in their way? All average teams. Years ago there was a chance a team would run into a really good D and get stomped.

Yep, or the other way around, re: 85 Bears vs Dolphins.

Top Bottom