Reaction score
Jason Witten ready to show he's not slowing down
September, 20, 2012
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – In some ways after Jason Witten's three-drop performance at Seattle it’s as if his 702 career receptions for 7,977 yards never happened.

Now the talk is Witten is 30 and slowing down; not a seven-time Pro Bowl performer.

“It does bother you because you run good routes, you’re open and you just didn’t make the catch,” Witten said. “It has nothing to do with that other stuff. Ultimately, I have a job to do and I didn’t get it done. The criticism is going to come and I understand it but it’s tough because all of those other things come with it when they’re not necessarily true. But when they throw it, you’ve got to make the play.”

Witten said the Seattle game does not drive him more, but he is anxious for Sunday’s game against Tampa Bay.

“For me Sunday can’t get hear fast enough,” Witten said. “You prepare yourself for those moments and for whatever reason you drop it but you have to be ready for the next one. You learn from it, put behind you and move on to the next one.”

Tight ends coach/passing game coordinator John Garrett said Witten looks faster than he has in recent years.

“He can still do it,” Garrett said. “I think the (catches) far outweigh the drop. He goes through seasons without dropping three balls, so it’s a complete anomaly. There’s nothing to worry about it and knowing him the resolve he has, he’s as competitive guy as there is in the league. This will motivate him more and I really think he’s going to be tough to deal with defensively for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday.”

BOOM

Reaction score
McMahan and Moseley tweeting about how Bennett is making Jason and Jerry look bad.

Give me a break.

Reaction score
I think the problem was the Cowboys drafting Bennett. I hated the pick when we made it, and we never should;ve done it. Witten was only 25 when we picked Bennett up. And it was known he was an immature guy and you needed to keep your foot on his neck to keep him motivated.

Can anyone remember who from that class that was still available that we were, leading up to the draft, allegedly interested in?

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
McMahan and Moseley tweeting about how Bennett is making Jason and Jerry look bad.

Give me a break.

thats espn103.3 for you.

Had bennett accepted the offer we made to him which was the same as the giants and he dropped two td's through two games....they would use that as the reason jerry and jason are the worst ever.

and again, find me one credible reason that mike pope, Tom coughlin or kevin gilbride would play bennett who usually couldnt get lined up here before the snap over Jason Witten.

When someone can answer that for me then they can bitch, otherwise this is the same ol thing, blame garrett and jerry for everything, its boring at this point. Its also asinine.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
and just think Jerry Reese had kevin ogletree for a visit and chose not to sign him..

then the evil jerry and garrett resigned him and he had a huge game to beat the giants.

so by the logic I see here, what does that say?

silver

Cheerleader
Reaction score

Give me a break.
Dan Connor will make John Fox and Marty Hurney look bad this Sunday. Let's see if they tweet that. (joke)

BangersandMash

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think the problem was the Cowboys drafting Bennett. I hated the pick when we made it, and we never should;ve done it. Witten was only 25 when we picked Bennett up. And it was known he was an immature guy and you needed to keep your foot on his neck to keep him motivated.

Can anyone remember who from that class that was still available that we were, leading up to the draft, allegedly interested in?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2008&round=round2#round2

Reaction score
Who gets blame for Martellus Bennett being Cowboys bust?
September, 21, 2012
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

The Dallas Cowboys' bust is blowing up with the New York Giants.

Tight end/goofball Martellus Bennett, who didn’t score his last three seasons in Dallas, has become the first player in Giants history with a touchdown in his first three games for the franchise. He already has more receiving yards this season (185 on 15 catches) than he did all of last season. Eli Manning has already thrown Bennett as many touchdown passes as Tony Romo did.

We’ll let ESPNNewYork.com gush about how great an addition Bennett has been for the Giants. Let’s assess the blame for why he never approached his immense potential with the Cowboys.

Don’t buy the bull about there not being room for both Jason Witten and Bennett to be weapons in the Cowboys’ passing game. The New England Patriots are proof that two talented, versatile tight ends can thrive together in an offense. And the Cowboys, a middle-of-the-pack team in points scored, sure could have used another stud.

The Cowboys didn’t draft Bennett in the second round simply to have an offensive tackle who was eligible to catch the occasional pass. They expected him to be the dynamic downfield and red-zone threat he’s become with the Giants. That was the buzz after Marty B. was All-Alamodome before his second season, putting together a personal highlight reel in training camp.

But Bennett never made a difference in Dallas’ passing game. How much of the fault for Bennett’s failure with the Cowboys should fall at the feet of the Garrett brothers?

Coaches get paid to motivate players and maximize their potential. Head coach/offensive coordinator Jason Garrett and tight ends coach John Garrett never figured out how to do that with Bennett, an all-time free spirit whose wavering focus on football could be a source of great frustration.

Bennett didn’t develop under the Garretts’ guidance. He regressed.

Bennett certainly shoulders a large share of the blame. He dropped too many passes. He ran too many sloppy routes. He moped too much, assuming he’d be nothing but a bit player while buried underneath Witten on the depth chart and the Garrett/Romo tree of trust. And he treated his final season at Valley Ranch like a prisoner waiting on his parole date, all but marking off the days in his locker stall.

The chicken-and-egg debate about Bennett’s days in Dallas: Did he not get many opportunities because he failed to capitalize on the ones he did get, or did he not capitalize because he didn’t get enough opportunities?

Marty B. has been far from flawless with the Giants, but Manning and the New York coaches have been rewarded handsomely for showing faith in the physical freak. He’s dropped three passes – two that could have been touchdowns – and drew his quarterback’s wrath for quitting on a route just before halftime in last night’s rout of the Panthers. But his production has still been outstanding, catching 15 of the 23 balls thrown his way, including the game-tying touchdown last week after two drops against Tampa Bay.

The Cowboys basically gave up on Bennett as a receiving threat, focusing on what he wasn’t (read: a Witten-like technician). They let a phenomenal talent go to waste.

And now it’s the worst-case scenario for the Cowboys: Their bust is booming for their biggest rival.

Mr X

Reaction score
Bennett played like a total ****** in Dallas. Jerry should have jumped on the Cincy deal, but he's a ****** himself.

Who gives a shit how he's playing with another team.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
What was the rumored trade that we turned down from them anyway? I completely forget.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They were going to give us a 1st and Roy Williams (back) to sweeten the pot.

total b/s

Cinci's own beat-writers reported it as a middle round pick and WR who's name escapes me. Jones said in local papers at the time of the rumored trade that the Benglas offered a middle round pick and a "starting calibar player", which was the WR

Reaction score
Who gets blame for Martellus Bennett being Cowboys bust?
September, 21, 2012

Coaches get paid to motivate players and maximize their potential. Head coach/offensive coordinator Jason Garrett and tight ends coach John Garrett never figured out how to do that with Bennett, an all-time free spirit whose wavering focus on football could be a source of great frustration.

Bennett didn’t develop under the Garretts’ guidance. He regressed.

:Clap

As soon as all of you clowns realize that this ginger family circus is in way over its head, you'll understand why the team is mediocre.

There's no dumber fan base in the league than our own, and it's mostly due to the loud Garrett family apologists yapping about how great things are here with Tom Landry Jr. and his staff.

Top Bottom