Reaction score
I never understood why fans put so much stock into what players say. They all believe they are going to win every game they play.

What do you realistically expect Witten to say about Romo? "He's throwing ducks, we're in trouble."
There would be nothing wrong with saying Romo is still recovering and has some work to do. I don't have any reason to believe he's lying.

Reaction score
The problem is he says the same things every year about turning the corner and getting better and it's the same results. People are just tired of his shit.
Well of course he's going to be optimistic in advance of an upcoming season. That's when you definitely don't expect someone to say we got no chance. But as the seasons have progressed, he's been pretty vocal in saying we have to work harder and play better, IIRC.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Well of course he's going to be optimistic in advance of an upcoming season. That's when you definitely don't expect someone to say we got no chance. But as the seasons have progressed, he's been pretty vocal in saying we have to work harder and play better, IIRC.

And then we don't so what he says is meaningless.

Reaction score
He does every year and then we go 8-8 or worse.

Derp...
But like cmd said, what do you want him to say before the season starts and he's asked about their expectations? 0-16? Of course he's going to be optimistic there.

And then we don't so what he says is meaningless.
I don't think what he says is meaningless when he says that the team has to work harder and play better, and the team doesn't. He's a leader of the team as a player, but he can't force every other player to do the work, and he can't affect the bumbling coaches.

There's a difference between being optimistic about the outlook of a season and just ignoring obvious issues with the team. He does the former, not the latter.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
No, every year. Every time there's controversy. Look at what he's said down the stretch the past few years and just before our Week 17 flops.

I have no problem with him being positive. I've just never heard him being critical of anyone or anything on this team when there are clearly some issues with this team.

Great Tight End who has lost a few steps, still valuable, but his insight into the team is the same as Hostile's to me. He is incapable of being critical therefore he's incapable of giving an honest assessment of a player, the team, a coach, etc.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The only time I've seen him step up and challenge a teammate was when he called Brodney Poole a scrub.

Other than that, it's sunshine pumping as usual.

Reaction score
I've seen him be a vocal leader and get in guys faces before. I've read his statements be anywhere from we're optimistic about the season, to this is unacceptable, and we have to do better. I've seen him get in Garrett's ear.

Sure, there's been some unwarranted optimism, but IMO he's not someone who just lets the bad shit go unchecked.

Reaction score
Everything Witten said after the Packers debacle.

“Words,’’ the tight end said, “really can’t describe it.’’

Later that week

“It’s tough, there’s no question,” tight end Jason Witten said. “You’ve got to be realistic with yourself and say, ‘Well, we’ve got two games left. We win them, we win this division.’ So it does hurt and that’s the reality of it but we’ve got to be able to bounce back and move forward. If we dwell on it, nobody cares. You’ve got to move forward because if you let it linger into next week then we’ve really got a problem.”
What a homer.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
he and the team backed up those words too.

I used to get fired up when I saw how much passion he had too man. I just think, on this team, as long as Jerry is the ultimate decision maker/authority, along with puppet coaches, it's meaningless from Witten.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'll never forget this:

[video=youtube;D84YO4XYTWw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D84YO4XYTWw[/video]

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Great Tight End who has lost a few steps, still valuable, but his insight into the team is the same as Hostile's to me. He is incapable of being critical therefore he's incapable of giving an honest assessment of a player, the team, a coach, etc.

Exactly.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
his insight into the team is the same as Hostile's to me. He is incapable of being critical therefore he's incapable of giving an honest assessment of a player, the team, a coach, etc.

Could you point us to some quotes of a player being critical. Giving us his honest assessment of a player, the team, a coach, etc. Players will always give the canned response. The cliche' everything is fine answer. Why you guys get your panties in a wad over what a player says is beyond me. What they have to say about anything about the state of the team is useless.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'm sure I could google some but I don't really feel like it..

Off the top of my head, I remember a Steelers player (Joey Porter?) saying some things a few years back. When a player does publicly criticize a teammate or coach it's usually considered " complaining" or "not being a team player" which brings up my main point that players tend to be rah rah guys.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm sure I could google some but I don't really feel like it..

Off the top of my head, I remember a Steelers player (Joey Porter?) saying some things a few years back. When a player does publicly criticize a teammate or coach it's usually considered " complaining" or "not being a team player" which brings up my main point that players tend to be rah rah guys.

Yeah, that's my point. On the rare occasion a player ever says anything that could be construed as negative, they're branded a trouble maker. Or they just have an axe to grind. Or whatever. So they pump out the cliché everything is fine and dandy answers. Every one knows this, yet people still get all up in arms over it. Look no further than this thread. People are pissed over it. Why? Don't be stupid and fall for it.

Reaction score
To the people who I hate that are saying 'yea wut I want whitten 2 say?!?!!!!'

How about he shut up.

How about we go all 1992 hurricanes on the press, wear camo and black and not talk to anyone. We from the streets bitch!

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Oh I remember that. I think Penn State won that game after all that talking they did.

Top Bottom