Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
NS_28MAVSSPURS38_37361685.jpg

By Rainer Sabin
rsabin@dallasnews.com

Tony Romo’s passes have the same velocity as they always have. That’s what teammate Jason Witten said Tuesday when asked about the Cowboys quarterback who underwent surgery to repair a herniated disk in December – his second back operation in a span of eight months.

“He is throwing good,” said Witten, who co-hosted the Albertsons All-Star Gala at the Hilton Anatole. “I have caught a lot of balls over the years and it’s the same zip, same as always. He looks good.”

It was an encouraging report from Witten, the nine-time Pro Bowler who happens to be also one of Romo’s closest friends.

Along with his teammates, Romo has been participating in off-season workouts since they began earlier this month. According to the rules during this period of sanctioned activities, Romo, 34, is only permitted to throw to receivers who are not being covered by other players.

Still, Romo’s involvement is a significant step after he was held out of organized team activities last year after having a cyst removed from his back.

“This year is different than last year,” Witten said. “You didn’t see him do much last year. I don’t know if it’s because [the surgery] happened later or what. But he’s been running and working out with us and doing the normal stuff. I think he is excited and I know he is embracing this challenge of people watching and thinking, ‘Is he going to be able to come back from this?’

“I think just the will that guy has — it’s at the top of the list of the players I’ve seen. Like I said, we know what people are going to say. But I think for us and for him it’s just go out there and get better and kind of perfect that craft so when you get to the chance, you take advantage of those opportunities. He looks good.”

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
:jerkoff

Jason Witten has only the most positive of things to say about Romo?

Shocking.

If Romo couldn't throw a ball more than 5 yards right now, I'm guessing Witten would still say Romo looks better than ever or the same as before, blah blah blah.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I know a realtor who sold Tony a house in Dallas. She said he's been working out hard and has a chip on his shoulder to prove to everyone that he'll be back to 100%.

I'm sure some here won't like hearing this.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm a Witten fan but he has kind of lost credibility the last few years. Every year he comes out and says how this team is different and whoever the Head Coach is amazing. I get that athletes are all rah rah guys but Witten is next level with it.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm a Witten fan but he has kind of lost credibility the last few years. Every year he comes out and says how this team is different and whoever the Head Coach is amazing. I get that athletes are all rah rah guys but Witten is next level with it.

Exactly.

I was a big fan of his, and while I don't dislike him now, I don't put any stock into what he says because as you pointed out, he has zero credibility now.

I'd rather he not say anything at all.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He has as much credibility as his YAC number, which is close to 0.

He's been a good player and probably a Hall of Famer, but he's never been a leader.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
He has as much credibility as YAC number, which is close to 0.

He's been a good player and probably a Hall of Famer, but he's never been a leader.

Hey pal, he says that THIS is the year where they take things seriously.

They know they're running out of time....and stuff.

For real, this time.

He means it.

Don't question his leadership.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Hey pal, he says that THIS is the year where they take things seriously.

They know they're running out of time....and stuff.

For real, this time.

He means it.

Don't question his leadership.

:lol

So it's for real THIS time?

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
:lol

So it's for real THIS time?

Yes, disregard the last 3 years when he meant it....this time he REALLY means it.

I've already purchased my playoff tickets because I'm so convinced.

You'd be wise to do the same.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yes, disregard the last 3 years when he meant it....this time he REALLY means it.

I've already purchased my playoff tickets because I'm so convinced.

You'd be wise to do the same.

I may just got ahead and purchase some Super Bowl tickets.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah ok JW.

If Romo is throwing the ball the same as last yr, then we need to prepare for "dink and dunk, the sequel" because he doesnt have the same arm strength he had previously, and he really struggled getting the ball downfield with any sort of accuracy or zip.

If he is saying that his arm is more like it was from 2006-2012, then ok.

Reaction score
Yeah ok JW.

If Romo is throwing the ball the same as last yr, then we need to prepare for "dink and dunk, the sequel" because he doesnt have the same arm strength he had previously, and he really struggled getting the ball downfield with any sort of accuracy or zip.

If he is saying that his arm is more like it was from 2006-2012, then ok.

Maybe you should read the article...

I have caught a lot of balls over the years and it’s the same zip, same as always.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I never understood why fans put so much stock into what players say. They all believe they are going to win every game they play.

What do you realistically expect Witten to say about Romo? "He's throwing ducks, we're in trouble."

Reaction score
Yeah, because he was recovering from surgery and couldnt do anything.
People are acting like Witten is just a Hos-like sunshine pumper and just makes stuff up. He seems pretty honest to me.

Sure, he's got his positive spin on things, like most players. But he's not sitting here saying everything's sunshine and rainbows when we're 8-8 year after year.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The problem is he says the same things every year about turning the corner and getting better and it's the same results. People are just tired of his shit.

Top Bottom