C

Cr122

With OTs, Don't Forget Run Blocking

Posted by jellis at 4/14/2011 12:24 PM CDT

With the idea that the Cowboys will pick an offensive lineman in the first round of this month's draft starting to set in more and more, it's worth talking about what kind of player the Cowboys need at the position.

Typically, first-round offensive linemen are identified based on their strength as pass protectors. Premium picks will often be asked to play on the left side of the line, the guarding the quarterback's blind spot. It is the most valuable position on the front five, so it stands to reason that a team will want its big investment to man the spot.

However, the Cowboys were very pleased with the way Doug Free played there last season. Though he has played right tackle and could move back there, it's unlikely the team would entrust Tony Romo's health to a rookie, even the best tackle prospect in the draft. For the player's first year, at least, he would be asked to play right tackle, taking over for Marc Colombo.

While pass protection is still hugely important, right tackle is a position that requires run-blocking skills. Last year, the Cowboys' front five rarely got much push up front, which caused them to lose more than a half a yard off the previous season's average running play. The team slipped from second in the NFL in rushing in 2009, to 15th in 2010.

With that in mind, here's an NFL.com rundown of the draft's top tackle prospects, followed by the notes on their talents in the rushing game:

Anthony Castonzo, Boston College - "Is powerful at the point of attack and creates push. His aggressiveness stands out on tape and makes him a viable candidate to play on an offensive line built on toughness."

Nate Solder, Colorado - "His movement skills shine when he gets to block on pulls or traps in the running game. He quickly gets out of his stance and has the quickness to engage linebackers and defensive backs in space. He struggles to occasionally create push against power players, but he gives relentless effort upon contact and does enough to win the down."

Gabe Carimi, Wisconson - "Is a physically imposing prospect with an aggressive demeanor that is endearing. He bullies defenders at the point of attack in the running game. His combination of strength, power and tenacity is impressive, and he is certainly comfortable playing in a power-based rush attack that features man- or zone-blocking schemes ... he looks like a natural right tackle based on his athleticism."

Tyron Smith, Southern Cal - "Overpowers defenders at the line of scrimmage, and his strength allows him to create a push in the running game. He seals the edge on perimeter runs with force and ranks as one of the position's top run blockers ... While Smith's size, strength and athleticism would appear suited for left tackle, he has only played on the right side during his collegiate career, and the switch to the other side could require some time."

C

Cr122

Nate Solder, Colorado - "His movement skills shine when he gets to block on pulls or traps in the running game. He quickly gets out of his stance and has the quickness to engage linebackers and defensive backs in space. He struggles to occasionally create push against power players, but he gives relentless effort upon contact and does enough to win the down."

This is one of the problems I have with him. I'm just not sure about his strength against these big guys at the next level.

If he struggled a bit in college why wouldn't he struggle against much bigger and faster guys? I dunno, I could be way off on this guy.

C

Cr122

Tyron Smith, Southern Cal - "Overpowers defenders at the line of scrimmage, and his strength allows him to create a push in the running game. He seals the edge on perimeter runs with force and ranks as one of the position's top run blockers ... While Smith's size, strength and athleticism would appear suited for left tackle, he has only played on the right side during his collegiate career, and the switch to the other side could require some time."

He'd be a huge upgrade over Colombo. We would improve at RT right away with this kid.

He kind of reminds me of Erik Williams a little.

C

Cr122

I don't know what I'd do if we had to play another season with Colomblo at RT.

The guy over came early career injuries and did a decent job, up until these past couple of years, it's time to move on.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
A part of me wants to replace Colombo with a mean, gritty player like Carimi or Costanzo, but then the other part of me is blinded by Tyron Smith's immense potential. Like I said the other day, can't really go wrong this year with an OT in the 1st round. They all look appealing.

Top Bottom