ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Maybe not so wild-ass knowing Jerry. But very unlikely.

But let's say we tank the rest of the year. Probably wouldn't hurt if Griffin torched us in Washington and Kelly beat us down the last game of the year.

What would you think if Jerry embraced the new trend and hired (for instance) Kevin Sumlin/Art Briles and drafted (for instance) a Manziel/Mariota type to run a spread type offense. Would you like it?

Yeah, I know this won't happen because of Romo's contract as much as anything. Just wondering if you'd like or hate seeing a radical change in the offense like that.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'd love to tank the season and draft Maziel. That would be wonderful.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm all for drafting our next QB but that'll cost us one of our limited resources. The new QB will have many of the same problems (defense who can't stop anyone, no Guards, oft-injured RB) that Romo has.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Right, I'm very Pro-Romo so this isn't anything against him. More a hypothetical about going in a spread direction on offense and coaching-wise. I know a lot of people hate it, think it's gimmicky, "high school offense", etc.

Also, I don't mean running the QB every down. More spread concepts in the passing game like Kelly is doing with Foles. Though personally, I'd want someone who could at least run some, unlike Foles.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Jerry has the attention span of my Rottweiler so yeah I could see him wanting to hire Art Briles away from Baylor and draft a Manziel type. I could easily see him thinking that defenses can't stop anyone (just like ours!) and want an offensive system that can score 60 points every week.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I had my doubts about Kiffin coming in and being worth a shit at his age. I was right.

This team is run by clowns.

Last edited:

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I had my doubts about Kiffin coming in a being worth a shit at his age. I was right.

This team is run by clowns.

Who cares about age? How about recent results?

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Who cares about age? How about recent results?

I figured the game had passed him by and he'd been out of the league for several years.

I was right. Since Jerry knows nothing about football, he was convinced that Kiffin could do the job.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jerry has the attention span of my Rottweiler so yeah I could see him wanting to hire Art Briles away from Baylor and draft a Manziel type.
Are we sure that would be a bad idea, though? Or are you even saying it would be.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
being a life long hawks fan..i can tell you guys from experience that it helps immensely if you can rush the passer...i think you guys should draft a DL

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Glad you chimed in since Manziel's best pro comparison might be Russell Wilson...

(Not that it would have to be Manziel in this hypothetical)

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Are we sure that would be a bad idea, though? Or are you even saying it would be.

I wouldn't hate that. My issue is that we would be using the same faulty architect and wonder why the buildings won't stand. As long as Jerry is behind the football strategy of this team, I have zero faith we will will succeed.

I've said that I want us to see us hire Gruden and then bring in an OC with spread experience, like Oregon's OC Scott Frost or Baylor's Philip Montgomery.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm all for drafting our next QB but that'll cost us one of our limited resources. The new QB will have many of the same problems (defense who can't stop anyone, no Guards, oft-injured RB) that Romo has.

Are you saying that they should build the team and then replace the QB? I would agree with that direction. The one thing to remember is that is what they have been doing that for years. They don't know what to do with the draft picks anyway. At least Johnny Football would provide great entertainment. Jerry doesn't understand how to build a team.if he did, the trenches wouldn't be a problem year after year. He invest too much in some positions like the CBs with the Carr deal and the Claibourne drafting, but neglects others. Safety has been an issue since Woody retired. Crawford is the only dlinemen drafted in a while and it shows up every game.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
jerry loves manziel...we do know that

It would have to be unreal value, like he falls into the late first and Jones trades up from the second or something. I do not think for a second he'd take him at the top of the round if he were drafting there. It is extremely hard to market what will be a backup QB for two-three years minimum. He does not have that kind of patience.

He married Romo with that contract. Now Manziel just is the piece of ass he will leer at from afar unless he's extremely fortunate.

Reaction score
Romo's not going anywhere with that contract. But I'd love to have a guy who coached the spread in college and who won't let defenses dictate to us. We have the personnel to run a wide-open offense. I think Romo is great when we spread it out. He wouldn't be a read option-type QB obviously, but he still has the ability to move around in the pocket. We need to devote a draft to defense, mainly DL. Maybe get a G and RB in FA or through the draft. We don't have the luxury of drafting a QB in 2014. Too many holes. But Romo can do more than he does in this offense.

Top Bottom