Reaction score
The recipe for success in the NFL is not that complicated, as Jason Garrett is quick to explain. Just make more big plays than the opponent, attain a positive turnover differential, win the fourth quarter and presto! It's time to celebrate a victory.

Garrett's motivational messages that have been printed on team-issued T-shirts in recent seasons reflect his belief in this formula.

The motto "Finish!" spells out Garrett's desire to win the final 15 minutes and overtime of each game.

The phrase "The ball. The ball. The ball" is another example of the emphasis Garrett places on avoiding giveaways and securing takeaways.

And the slogan "Bam!" reinforces Garrett's exhortations about the importance of making momentum-changing plays (runs of 12-plus yards, passes of 16-plus yards) while preventing the opposition from matching them.

"When we have done those things well, we have been successful," Garrett said. "When we haven't, we haven't been successful."

Through eight weeks, the Cowboys are failing. They are 2-5 and haven't won in 48 days. The slide the Cowboys have experienced has been primarily attributed to the injuries suffered by Dez Bryant and Tony Romo.

With Romo and Bryant out, a once-powerful offense was blunted to the point that now only three teams have scored fewer points than the Cowboys have in 2015. The struggles continued even after Bryant returned last Sunday as Dallas continued to sputter under the command of a backup quarterback.

The problems experienced by the Cowboys' weakened attack have hindered their ability to create the winning recipe Garrett concocted. In the defeat to Atlanta, the Falcons produced more big plays than the Cowboys did and outscored them in the fourth quarter to boot. Two weeks later, in a 30-6 to New England, the Patriots performed better in all three categories that factor into Garrett's formula and left Arlington with a plus-2 turnover differential.

Flash forward to Oct. 25, and four giveaways negated the significant explosive play advantage the Cowboys had built over the New York Giants. Hence, a loss was added to Dallas record.

"We just feel if we are going to win games, we can't turn the ball over," offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said. "And that's just got to be our mind-set. So it's not like you have to go out there and play conservative."

But that's exactly what the Cowboys did the following week against Seattle. Dallas didn't commit a turnover, and it secured a takeaway for the first time since Week 2. But the offense was shackled by the Seahawks' defense. The Cowboys produced only three big plays. Seattle managed six. So the Seahawks walked away with a one-point victory in a game that was taut from beginning to end.

"Not been good enough, obviously," Garrett said. "It's not only for us. If you look around the league, it starts with taking the ball away and securing the football. We haven't done a good job of that throughout our team. It's hurt us in games, and at times we have finished the games well this year. At other times we haven't. When you finish well, you win games. When you don't, you lose games."

As tight end Jason Witten said, "We haven't been as good."

No they haven't.

The Cowboys have outscored the opposition in the fourth quarter and overtime only once this season. That happened in the opener, a game Dallas rallied to win in the last minute.

Compare that with last season, when the Cowboys prevailed in the fourth quarter seven times on the way to a 12-4 record.

One of those instances came against the same Seattle team that beat the Cowboys last Sunday. In October 2014, the Cowboys defeated the Seahawks, overcoming a minus-1 turnover differential because they produced seven more big plays than Seattle and outscored the eventual NFC champion 10-3 in the fourth quarter of a 30-23 road victory. It was the best illustration of why the recipe works.

"Those factors in the game are the reason we won the game, and it was a tight game," Linehan said. "It was a one-score game when it was all said and done."

Seconds later, Linehan exhaled.

"Last year was last year," he said. "We've got to do that now this year."

That much is clear. But so far the Cowboys have been unable to recreate Garrett's winning formula. And until they can, the losses should continue to mount.

On Twitter: @RainerSabinDMN

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
We have no cataclysmic ball players on offense now. That's why. What it boils down to that outside of Romo, Dez and Dunbar, we have no playmakers on offense.

Reaction score
Garrett is such a simpleton. He reminds me of that el diablo basketball interview in that movie with that British actress who was a devil.

Reaction score
Well we try to play good and not play bad and we try to score more points than our football opponents and when we don't do those things we don't do as well as we could.

Reaction score
Bam! Finish! Ball ball ball!

That, and endless clapping.

We got a fucking football savant as a head coach.

God fucking damn this team.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
hindered their ability to create the winning recipe Garrett concocted.
He didn't "concoct" shit. It's all capt. Obvious stuff. It's shit most everyone already knows.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Garrett just talks about things. What does he actually do to alter or impact the outcome of games?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Garrett just talks about things. What does he actually do to alter or impact the outcome of games?

He takes them on field trips and stuff.

I'd really like our chances if this game were in Philly. That Liberty Bell can be pretty inspiring.

Reaction score
Yeah. Don't you remember how inspired, focused, mission-driven the team looked after the Ground Zero trip and "that's not why we came here" speech??? You know, the one where 90% of CZ was saying they'd run through walls and tongue Garrett's taint if they could...

I mean, who could forget that dominating performance against that very mediocre Giants team after two weeks to prepare.

Garrett is a really really really good coach. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm not a Garrett fan, but I'll give credit where credit is due. I think, at a very high level, Garrett has decent ideas. I just think he sucks at actually implementing them. He has no creativity and is lousy at making real time, in-game decisions.

He does get this team to play hard week to week. In the past, these guys would throw in the towel when things got tough and I think that has kind of disappeared under Garrett.

However, his role as OC held the team back. Look how good they were last year with a relatively average OC like Linehan. With a decent OC, I'm sure they would have gotten into the playoffs in any of those 8-8 years. I hate that his inexperience and inefficiencies wasted the primes of Romo and Witten.

I also don't get this perception that Garrett is some sort of long term visionary. Coaches come in and turn teams around overnight. The OL? Garrett might have had an opinion on Tyron Smith, but anyone watching the war room cam could tell he was flabbergasted during the Frederick selection. Dallas acknowledged that Zack Martin was choice #5. He certainly wasn't trying to build an OL of first rounders.

Oh well, I still think they can win the shitty East. I hate the thought of Garrett here long term, but I really, really hope they can get Romo a ring in spite of their coaching weaknesses.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Garret's motivational speech before taking the field for a game....

"Ya gotta get out there and score more points than the other team"

The players: "um.... Ok coach"

As they all bow there heads in disgust and walk onto the field shuffling their feet and feeling defeated before the game even starts muttering "what a fucking idiot" under their breaths

All you can hear after his speech is a collective sigh from all the players, and of course the incessant clapping from Carrot Top

Last edited:

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Romo. Romo is the reason this team isn't winning. No need to write these long wastes of time trying to explain why the team is shitty right now.

As a few of us have pointed out over the years, Romo is the only reason this team is relevant when it is. He got some much needed help last year from the run game, but in years past he would have to play great ball week to week in order for this team to win or be in a game. It's going to be like that when he comes back unless McFadden can actually continue his good play.

It has nothing to do with the team, it has everything to do with the QB. The head coach is a ******. Garrett isn't some great coach that can put together a game plan and out coach another teams head coach and steal a few wins in Tony's absence. He's a ducking empty sweat suit. A red headed piece of shit hack. It's fucked up, he's a loser, a third string QB with an Ivy League crutch.

Fuck him. He's pokey without his gumby. Nobody wants to watch that shit.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Oh shucks, maybe we should concentrate on starting the game too. Finishing the last 15 minutes strong doesn't mean shit if you just try to survive the first 45 minutes.

Take a hike.

Reaction score
That whole article sounds like something Hostile would write to fire up the minions over on his private forum. Bunch of elementary bullshit. Not for one second do I think Garrett can do anything innovative to mix up the direction this is going. All he's telling them is "the ball, the ball, the ball," "finish," and "bam," like Coach Caveman or something. He just has to pray like hell we pull a win out of our ass in the next 2 games and Romo comes back and lights it up.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What is so maddening and ironic is that Jones supposedly does not value the HC position, and yet he keeps Garrett around for so long with such abysmal results. To Al Davis's credit, he would have fired Garrett after the second 8-8 season.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That whole article sounds like something Hostile would write to fire up the minions over on his private forum. Bunch of elementary bullshit. Not for one second do I think Garrett can do anything innovative to mix up the direction this is going. All he's telling them is "the ball, the ball, the ball," "finish," and "bam," like Coach Caveman or something. He just has to pray like hell we pull a win out of our ass in the next 2 games and Romo comes back and lights it up.

Ah you guys just do not see the genius in the simplicity of it. The genius is not the invention of the light bulb but rather the screwing it in, and flipping the switch.

Top Bottom