C

Cr122

Crayton on Romo v. Rivers

From DCFanatic ("New York Style!")'s blog:

Crayton played alongside both Romo and Rivers

Earlier tonight I was checking out the NFL Top 100 list and I heard Norv Turner talking about Philips Rivers ranking of #26 on the list.

Norv was stressing that Rivers is not only a great player himself but that he makes all of his teammates around him better because of his leadership skills.

Tony Romo ranked #72 on the list. Now Rivers has big numbers and he's won some playoff games so I can see him being ranked ahead of Romo. But 46 spots higher than Romo to me was a little extreme.

Romo has also put up big numbers when he's on the field and he'll continue to do so under Jason Garrett in my opinion.

So is it the leadership stuff that gets Rivers such a higher rating?

From there I figured I would throw out a question to a guy who isn't afraid to speak his mind and who has now played under both QB's. Our old friend Patrick Crayton.

@pcrayton12 I dare you to answer. Triple Dog Dare You!!! Who's a better team leader: Romo or Rivers?
Not really shocked that he answered, but I expected a 'Politically Correct' answer about them both being great team leaders. Clearly I was mistaken...

@DCFanaticsBlog why is that a dare? Hands down its Rivers. And thats not a knock on romo its just the way it is!

So not only does he answer it outright, but he answers with an emphatic ! so we get the point.

I love Romo as a QB. And I think he's just fine as a team leader.

I know most Cowboys fans are going to say this is just Crayton being scorned by the Cowboys so he takes a shot at Romo. I don't really see that here at all. He's got nothing against Romo. I just think he's looking at how Rivers handled the Chargers and thinks that it's a better approach.

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
I would agree that Rivers is the better leader. I think he's more imposing, physically - and that plays a role. He's also more outspoken, and will verbally berate others - to include entire teams - while sticking up for his guys.

And I don't look at it as Rivers being 46 slots better than Romo. How many QB's higher was he?

Also, you can't dismiss the fact that Crayton plays with Rivers now as playing a role in his decision making. That definitely is a factor.

Lastly, while I agree that Rivers is probably the better leader, I think Crayton is an idiot, and I don't care what his opinion on the matter is.

C

Cr122

I hate to say it, but Rivers is the better QB. I still think the Chargers win a Super Bowl before us.

Romo is a damn good QB but Rivers is the better of the two. I love how Rivers gets vocal and shows good leadership.

If Romo can do this, which I know he can, then he'll be right there with Rivers.

Reaction score
Chargers don't win a Super Bowl before us. Not as long as they have Norv as head coach.

Also, I've lost faith in their defense. And losing Weddle will hurt.

Naw, I think the Chargers best chance in 2006. They'll always be contenders (playing in a weak division helps), but the Steelers, Patriots, Colts and Jets are the power houses of the AFC.

ABQCOWBOY

Spectator
Reaction score
At this point, I think you have to give the nod to Rivers, based on what he has accomplished thus far. However, this story has not finished being written. I have a feeling that Romo is going to have an All Pro type of year this year. Just a a feeling.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Both good players.

Rivers and the chargers have had the luxory of playing a really lousy division. For the past 4 years or so they literally knew going into the season that 8-9 wins would get them the division. Playing against teams in oakland, kansas city and Denver teams who lacked quarterbacks and stability at the head coaching position. KC gets a good coach and a good qb and in two years they have already won the division.

meanwhile. Romo and the cowboys have to deal with the giants, eagles and redskins. The skins would fit right in with the qb and head coach issues in the afc west but even at that they were good in 07 down the stretch. Every season we face the dilemma of knowing that it will take double digit wins to make the playoffs and maybe 12 to win the division. That is inside of the most high profile, largest tv market and largest exposure within this division. Its a totally different ballgame.

again, to me Both excellent players who can lead a franchise to a championship without question but comparing stats or accomplishments I dont think tells the whole story. I think it is just a different circumstance when you play 6 games against such poor competition and know it will take very little to make the playoffs.

Rivers crowning achievement is beating Manning in the playoffs on the road. Great accomplishment.
Romo's crowning achievement is beating andy reid and mcnabb in the playoffs. Great accomplishment.

not much difference to me. Since the moment romo took over he has been a spark plug. He filled a void and has become better and better. To be fair Rivers took over an already excellent playoff caliber team. They never won a playoff game but they were good enough to get there.

I think if this chargers team played in the east, whether it was the nfc or afc with the tough competition and constant scrutiny it would be a different ballgame. When crayton got to SD last year the first thing he said was how much different it was, almost like no one was paying attention and you were always the underdog. That is a luxory romo has never had. I believe completely that getting to play in this era as the underdog is extensively different.

my two cents. I love romo, I would love rivers if he was here too.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Crayton's opinion obviously is going to be biased towards his current QB so it doesn't matter what he says...

Rivers is the better QB but its not by much. Romo gets a SB and he leap frogs Rivers, easily. The way Rivers commands his teammates and the huddle is what puts him ahead, IMO. Thats not saying Romo isn't any good at leading his team.. I just think Rivers is amazing at it.

sbk92

Reaction score
Rivers is viewed as clearly better than Romo.

I just heard Mike and Mike talking about it the other day. They came up with a list of top QBs who have yet to win a ring. Which one will win first. Greenburg goes "well obviously Rivers is the best of the group" and Golic agreed like it was a foregone conclusion.

That's basically how the NFL world feels about it. It's only an interesting question to Cowboys fans.

C

Cr122

At this point, I think you have to give the nod to Rivers, based on what he has accomplished thus far. However, this story has not finished being written. I have a feeling that Romo is going to have an All Pro type of year this year. Just a a feeling.

That's the way I see it. Romo will bounce back and have a good season. They're not far apart. One of them will win a Super Bowl soon.

Right now I give the edge to Rivers.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Props to Rivers,he's a good Qb.

I'd still kick him in the nuts if I got a chance.

Cythim

Reaction score
Rivers will be the best QB of this generation that never wins a ring. We can all thank Eli for keeping him out of the NFC East.

Reaction score
IDK, I saw Romo get his back ripped up against the Ravens and he should have won that game if it wasnt for our guessing DL. And I believe that one puts us in the playoffs that year.

I dont really see what separates the two though. Similar numbers and similar amount of talent. Rivers had a HOF RB and HOF TE. Romo has a HOF TE, a HOF WR at the tail end of his career and now a HOF WR at the beginning of his career.

Rivers gets major props for last year so I have them both on the same tier but Rivers just above him

Reaction score
Romo's toughness is overrated. Would he have played with a torn ACL? Who knows. Hopefully we'll never have to find out. But he did try repeatedly to get back into that Giants game last year after seperating his shoulder. Immediately right after the injury, he was concerned more with weather Austin made the catch and if he could go in. Kids ballsy.

Clutch88

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm Ridin' with Romo on this one guy's...if only because Rivers is a Douche.

Top Bottom