yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Not really. Basically they just need to win against the Panthers and for BOTH the Packers and Redskins to lose. They would beat the Packers with the better conference record.

not quite, but since there is apparent interest in how remote their chances are, here you go:

Tampa Bay (8-7) enters Week 17 trailing both the Packers (9-6) and Redskins (8-6-1) in the race for the final NFC wild-card spot.

What the Buccaneers need

FPI Chance
KC over DEN 53.6%
DAL over DET 71.9%
TB over CAR 55.4%
DET over GB 40.3%
NYG tie WSH 0.3%
DAL over PHI 47.1%
SF over SEA 30.5%
TEN over HOU 62.1%
IND over JAX 70.9%

* Chance of happening: 0.0016%

According to ESPN’s Football Power Index, there’s an 0.0016 percent chance (60,000-to-1 odds) that the Buccaneers make the playoffs.

First, the easy part: Tampa Bay needs three results next week in order to tie for the final spot: a win against the Panthers, a Packers loss to the Lions and a Redskins tie against the Giants.

Such a scenario would result in a tie between the Packers and Buccaneers -- one that would need to be broken by strength of victory. The Redskins would be eliminated on the conference record tiebreaker.

The Buccaneers trail in that metric right now, but they would make up most of the deficit by beating Carolina next weekend.

Still, there’s only one narrow path where they’d be able to pass the Packers.

The Bucs would need two teams that they previously beat to win –- the Chiefs (against the Broncos on Sunday) and the 49ers (against the Seahawks in Week 17).

And they’d need four teams that the Packers beat to lose – the Lions (against the Cowboys on Monday), plus the Jaguars (against the Colts), Eagles (against the Cowboys) and Texans (against the Titans) in Week 17.

If only five of those six games go the Buccaneers' way, they’d tie the Packers on strength of record but then lose the second wild-card spot on strength of schedule.

So if you’re keeping track at home, the Buccaneers need to cover a nine-team parlay to reach the playoffs. And FPI projects an 0.0016 percent chance that all nine of those games go Tampa Bay’s way.

source

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I have this sneaking suspicion Garrett is going to only play Dak and Zeke for the first half then throw in the back ups

Everything he has said all week has been that he is going to keep things the same and play his starters

That's why I call bullshit and think he's going to only play em for the first half

If that happens there goes my DALLAS pick for this game

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Kinda sorta close

I had a feeling it would be a blowout. I didn't anticipate 42, though. I'm homering out so bad right now. I mean, we came into the game with nothing to gain from a win, defense got punched in the mouth to start the game, could easily have shut it down, but instead rallied and took the Lions' souls. Just so damn awesome to witness. :towel

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I had a feeling it would be a blowout. I didn't anticipate 42, though. I'm homering out so bad right now. I mean, we came into the game with nothing to gain from a win, defense got punched in the mouth to start the game, could easily have shut it down, but instead rallied and took the Lions' souls. Just so damn awesome to witness. :towel

Yea it was pretty impressive how they responded.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Kudos to the post.

You are the anti-Midswat

Top Bottom