GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Based on last years performances, given the changes (or lack thereof) of each unit, even taking into account the tiniest bit of improvement, which unit do you think has the better chance to be more improved?

Safety

- kiffin New coordinator
- new dl coach (maybe better pass rush)
- church is back
- added will allen
- johnson could be healthy
- drafted wilcox

Offensive Line

- second year of callahan coaching
- callahan calling plays
- drafted Fred
- ronald leary 2nd year

Reaction score
Each was near rock bottom by the end of 2012, so talent for both will be marginally improved.

2012's slow-assed WR's and paper thin RB's made the OL much worse and the aging, injury prone, and criminal interior defensive front weakened the already bad safeties too.

In 2013 the WR's are still slow, but the RB's have hopefully added good depth in Randle. The defensive front going to at 4-3 helps the safeties by putting two DT's in the middle instead of one. So overall the supporting cast is also slightly better.

Lastly some folks just need to play better. Ratliff needs to stay healthy and can't get suspended. Free needed to shake off the retardation, like, years ago. Bernadeau should be gone, but like Free, Ratliff, and Brent he has Jerry-insurance so he's good.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Each was near rock bottom by the end of 2012, so talent for both will be marginally improved.

2012's slow-assed WR's and paper thin RB's made the OL much worse and the aging, injury prone, and criminal interior defensive front weakened the already bad safeties too.

In 2013 the WR's are still slow, but the RB's have hopefully added good depth in Randle. The defensive front going to at 4-3 helps the safeties by putting two DT's in the middle instead of one. So overall the supporting cast is also slightly better.

Lastly some folks just need to play better. Ratliff needs to stay healthy and can't get suspended. Free needed to shake off the retardation, like, years ago. Bernadeau should be gone, but like Free, Ratliff, and Brent he has Jerry-insurance so he's good.

Which WRs are slow?

Reaction score
OL will be better because we have a real center now.

For safety to improve we're relying on:
  • Barry Church - Already slow safety with limited range coming off a major achilles injury
  • Will Allen - Will Fucking Allen
  • Matt Johnson - White guy who gets injured if someone gives him a dirty look.
  • JJ Wilbust - 1 year safety experience in his life, playing at a junior varsity college, and who got embarrassed by ODU's quarterback - who happens to be the best QB in that junior varsity league, but still isn't good enough of a QB to ever consider being on an NFL roster.

Reaction score
OL ... due to new center, as Midswat says.

Also, there were so many OL injuries last year ... it doesn't seem likely that such bad luck would happen two years in a row.

Reaction score
Plus.... and this might get scoffed at, but I just have a hard time believing Doug Free will be THAT bad again.

Reaction score
Yeah ... plus, I'm thinking Jermey Parnell can play better than Free did last year.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think the OL will be better. Safety might not have better talent, but that shell Kiffin is going to play will make them look better because they won't be blowing assignments and giving up as many huge plays. People will still get mad at them giving up intermediate catches playing "soft", though.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
I think it's going to be hard to decipher because neither will be that much better. If I just had to choose, I would choose OL.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
OL will be better because we have a real center now.

For safety to improve we're relying on:
  • Barry Church - Already slow safety with limited range coming off a major achilles injury
  • Will Allen - Will Fucking Allen
  • Matt Johnson - White guy who gets injured if someone gives him a dirty look.
  • JJ Wilbust - 1 year safety experience in his life, playing at a junior varsity college, and who got embarrassed by ODU's quarterback - who happens to be the best QB in that junior varsity league, but still isn't good enough of a QB to ever consider being on an NFL roster.
Heinicke intrigues me. I'd take a chance on him

Reaction score
(Theme from 70's Incredible Hulk TV Show) Matt Johnson: white guy, safety, looking for a way to tap into the hidden health that all NFL players who actually play have.

Safety has not improved in player talent which is sub-average, unless Jakar Hamilton pans out, but I think the scheme will take the spotlight off of the group as a hole (pun intended).

The OL will be helped tremendously by a more frequent run game and playcalling that doesn't force them to sustain blocks for such long periods of time.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
If we had invested first round picks two of the the last three years in safety I would expect improvement. We invested high picks on the o-line (finally). It should be better. Bipolar Romo is still the issue.

mdawg65

Cheerleader
Reaction score
I have to go with the o-line. If it doesn't there's no need for us to congregate at this forum anymore. The season will end up terrible again.

Top Bottom