sbk92

Reaction score
By Matt Mosley

nfl_a_reid1x_600.jpg

Coach Andy Reid's recent coaching decisions have placed him under greater scrutiny.

The wild rumor started to gain traction late Sunday evening. The rumor that Andy Reid would be replaced by Jon Gruden was apparently ripped from a former Eagles fullback's Facebook page.

It didn't make any sense, but the fact that folks across the country, mainstream media and the independents, were chasing it speaks to Reid's standing in Philadelphia. There's a feeling that Reid's under more pressure than ever, and it doesn't help that he's taken some curious steps in the past few weeks.

Inquirer columnist Phil Sheridan, a man who fought the elements in North Texas valiantly last week, compared Reid to men such as Mike Tomlin, Mike McCarthy and Sean Payton in a column this week.

"More troubling, McCarthy and Payton are from similar coaching backgrounds as Reid," writes Sheridan. "Like Gruden, they are offensive coaches with reputations for staring at tape until their eyes burn, looking for an edge. Like Gruden (and Reid, at first), they balanced their staffs by hiring experienced defensive coordinators and turning that side of the ball over to them.

"There is a pattern here. Reid fit that pattern up until 2005. Now, 12 years into his tenure, he does not."

It's hard to say what pattern Reid fits these days, although you can certainly say he's become more entertaining in his decision-making. A man who promotes his longtime offensive line coach to defensive coordinator is either bold or clueless. And right now, I think a lot of Eagles fans would choose the latter option. The Steelers stuck with Bill Cowher all those years before finally winning a Super Bowl. But I can't recall a lot of folks openly questioning whether it would ever happen for Cowher. There was a belief in that organization that he was always moving forward.

As Sheridan points out, it doesn't feel like Reid's any closer to pulling this off than he was several years ago. And that's why wild rumors about him being replaced in February didn't feel quite as wild Sunday night. If Bud Adams can run Jeff Fisher out of town, I guess Jeff Lurie could eventually do the same to Reid.

After all, Fisher and Reid have won the same number of Super Bowls.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If that's the case, I think the Redskins might hold onto McNabb and try to snag Reid in 2012. Tell you the truth though, if Reid fails to make the playoffs or ends up one and done again---would make three in a row, I think the Eagles will get rid of him much like the Titans did with Fisher. And I think they will wait until all the coaching hires have taken place before releasing him.

Reaction score
If that's the case, I think the Redskins might hold onto McNabb and try to snag Reid in 2012. Tell you the truth though, if Reid fails to make the playoffs or ends up one and done again---would make three in a row, I think the Eagles will get rid of him much like the Titans did with Fisher. And I think they will wait until all the coaching hires have taken place before releasing him.

Difference is, Eagles ownership loves Reid...Fisher has a cantankerous relationship with Adams.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Difference is, Eagles ownership loves Reid...Fisher has a cantankerous relationship with Adams.

I understand that, but how long do you hold onto a guy that seemingly is treading water? Will the Eagles continue to be content with merely finishing better than the Cowboys? Making the playoffs and getting no hardware. The Packers winning the Super Bowl serves to put more pressure on Reid.

Top Bottom