NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
^^ Agree, I just hope Steve doesn't take things too far the other way, from being a coddling friend of the players to being too much of a dick.

I mean, it's great to be coldly analytical and all, but Dez is the kind of emotional player I'd think you wouldn't want to piss off.

I just wonder what these off-field concerns are. If it's silly stuff like sagging pants at the mall, I don't see why they don't just pay him. If it's something more serious, I'm curious what those issues really are.

There could be something that has been kept secret from us that possibly leaks later OR it could just be the media assuming because of Dez's history.

I lean towards it just being a bargaining chip that we're using in negotiations. I mean shit why not? There's legit concerns over Dez being a knucklehead in certain situations. Might as well put it on the table and try to drive that price down.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
There's no guarantee that pick will get you a Top 5 WR. And more than likely we would be getting late firsts from a team that feels they're one playmaker away.

Too big of a gamble.
Two firsts is something to seriously consider. I didn't say I would do it, I said I almost would want to see it. Dez won't keep his mentality stable enough to be top 5 for very long.
Obviously, not knowing what's going to happen, I think the fact this is a story signifies a massive shift in the way this franchise has done business since Jimmy left.

In the past Jerry wouldn't have hesitated to sign Dez to a massive deal, cap be damned. He's done it with way riskier propositions like Roy Williams, Miles Austin, trading two 1sts for Joey Galloway. And we've made worse deals than those three if you expand it to other positions. He hardly hesitates to reward his successes with big contracts.

Now we have perhaps the best WR this franchise has ever seen, and now we're playing hardball? You can't even pin it on the off-the-field issues... we've rewarded guys with more concerning lives off the field as well.

There's nothing else I can think of that signifies the reduction of Jerry's influence in this franchise like this does. I don't know that Stephen is going to be a 180 from his father, but I'm starting to get optimistic about it.
I hope you're right on this.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Apparently Colin Cowherd (who I can't stand) said yesterday that cops have been called to Dez's house six times in the last year and some other things have been kept quiet... And an NFL source told him in the past year if everything he'd done was known by the league and the public, he'd be out of the league.

What? Is this a bad, exaggerated version of what Rappaport reported last year, or could this be true?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
bad news, seeing as how the NFL's personal conduct policy has been strengthened in the last year.

people try to defend him by pointing out that he wasn't home during some of those police visits, but what does that say about who he's associating with?

Reaction score
It's exactly what Rapoport reported. DeSoto police released the calls to his house. A few of them were like a baby being locked in a car and his house being robbed.

Seems like the "concern" is the number of people who live in his house. There's a little bit of smoke, but no indication that Dez is the problem in any of it.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Wonder if the team would tell Dez and DeMarco that they're signing one and franchising the other. If you don't want the franchise tag, then better agree to a deal.

I guess that they could both refuse to sign a deal and then force them to franchise one and let the other go.

Couldn't they Franchise Tag one, and transition the other? Or do you get one or the other?

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Apparently Colin Cowherd (who I can't stand) said yesterday that cops have been called to Dez's house six times in the last year and some other things have been kept quiet... And an NFL source told him in the past year if everything he'd done was known by the league and the public, he'd be out of the league.

What? Is this a bad, exaggerated version of what Rappaport reported last year, or could this be true?

I think Colin is wrongly assuming the league doesn't know.

Multi-billion dollar empire. Colin Cowheard is 1 fucking guy. Colin knows, but the league is just completely unaware.

Reaction score
Couldn't they Franchise Tag one, and transition the other? Or do you get one or the other?

I think you can do both, but doesn't the transition tag leave that player more vulnerable to another team swooping in?

I'll have to look it up.

EDIT: Yeah, you don't have exclusive rights and you don't get draft pick compensation if someone else signs him.

Angrymesscan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think you can do both, but doesn't the transition tag leave that player more vulnerable to another team swooping in?

I'll have to look it up.

EDIT: Yeah, you don't have exclusive rights and you don't get draft pick compensation if someone else signs him.

But you still get to match any offer right?

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I hope that Dez has grown up and I believed that he has, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is a video or two hanging around that may show some things that don't look good for him. CZ refuses to believe it is possible, but Dez has always embraced the thug life, which is completely normal considering how he was raised. I don't think it makes me less of a fan to admit that anything is possible.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I hope that Dez has grown up and I believed that he has, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is a video or two hanging around that may show some things that don't look good for him. CZ refuses to believe it is possible, but Dez has always embraced the thug life, which is completely normal considering how he was raised. I don't think it makes me less of a fan to admit that anything is possible.

That's how I kinda feel.. Anything is possible given Dez's history but the media needs to come up with this mysterious video already or shut the fuck up about it.

Reaction score
But you still get to match any offer right?
Yeah looks like some things changed with the tags under the new CBA...

You cannot use both the franchise tag and the transition tag.

There are two types of franchise tags... exclusive rights and non-exclusive rights. Exclusive means another team can't sign the tagged player, obviously. If a non-exclusive franchise tag is used and the player signs with someone else, the original teams gets draft pick compensation.

Transition tag is non-exclusive, but it gives the original team the right to match. It does not give draft pick compensation if there is no match from the original team though. This tag is how Minnesota signed Stave Hutchison with the poison pill contract from Seattle. The new CBA eliminated the use of the poison pill, but a second team could still get creative and sign a guy away with an offer sheet that makes it impossible for the original team to match.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Who gives a shit what others think of our "fan level" anyway. Internally, we know.

It is entertaining to look at the threads in other forums that blast anybody that has the nerve to say that there could be a video tape somewhere. It could be a tape of Dez's mother working a street corner for all we know. Ireland could have been on to something when he was questioning Dez.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It is entertaining to look at the threads in other forums that blast anybody that has the nerve to say that there could be a video tape somewhere. It could be a tape of Dez's mother working a street corner for all we know. Ireland could have been on to something when he was questioning Dez.
LOL

Top Bottom