Reaction score
BARRY HORN The Dallas Morning News
Sports media columnist
Published: 19 September 2014 05:10 PM

Daryl Johnston who had an up-close-and-personal view of the Cowboys running game on their way to three Super Bowl championships in the 1990s, takes particular interest in the team’s apparently rejuvenated interest in moving the ball on the ground.

He has seen tapes from the Cowboys first two games. He likes what he has seen of the running game but...

“I have to see it more frequently,” he said this week. “They are off to a really good start. I need to see it on a consistent basis.”

Johnston, the former fullback, will have the opportunity to personally eyeball DeMarco Murray and company on Sunday when he works the Fox booth alongside Kenny Albert at the Cowboys-Rams game in St. Louis.

Johnston who helped pave the way through much of Emmitt Smith’s journey toward his NFL career rushing record, jokingly said he was taken slightly aback that Murray does his running without a fullback. Still, he is happy that the Cowboys at least have a fullback, Tyler Clutts, on their roster. He recalled that wasn’t the case when he worked his last Cowboys game, a loss to the Chargers last season.

A fullback is not necessarily a plus for all running backs, Johnston said.

“Some like to have a clear vision of the field and can see more without a fullback,” Johnston said. That wasn’t the case with Smith, who appreciated Johnston or a tight end like Alfredo Roberts leading the Johnston said he learned from conversations with Cowboys coach Jason Garrett, his former teammate believes he finally has an offensive line that can lead a running game.

“I can see the confidence Jason has,” Johnston said.

Johnston was tickled that at the game he worked last week, New Orleans Saints fullback Austin Johnson actually carried the ball twice against the Cleveland Browns. He was delighted when his game was interrupted to show a highlight featuring Washington Redskins fullback Darrell Young scoring his game's opening touchdown on a 20-yard pass reception against the Jacksonville.

“Maybe the return of the fullback,” Johnston said, “will be cyclical.”

Top Bottom