Reaction score
Put away the anointing oil, ya fucks.

Dak had a great night - but his flaws and limitations are all still there. He will struggle mightily in this league.

And why tonight was the worst case scenario is idiot Jerry is an overly optimistic homer who, after tonight, will declare the back up battle over and we won't pursue a veteran.

So if/WHEN Romo misses action, Dak will be the man. And he will flounder. He won't be able to read coverages or handle blitzes. Most polished rookies from pro style offenses can't. Let along a raw kid from a spread offense.

Be excited about the intangibles he showed tonight. But let's not get carried away. Week one in the preseason is nothing. He might be the answer when Romo hangs it up (he isn't). But he's not going to help us win games this year if he has to play.

Reaction score
I'm not ready to anoint him the next big thing at QB, but he at least didn't look like complete shit which is all we've seen by QBs not named Romo for far too long around here.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'll say this, I agree we should not get overly excited. It was one preseason game. Dak does have a long way to go. He did show promise though. Best case scenario would be for them to continue to let Dak and Showers get reps and that Dak (and Showers) continues to play well. Then towards the end of preseason when a vet QB gets cut bring him in to be the backup to Romo. That allows Dak to keep his confidence high and also continue to learn the NFL game without being thrown to the wolves. Then next off season let that guy compete with Dak for the primary backup role.

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. That's a positive for sure.

I just hate how Jerry is going to eat this game up and stop pursuing a vet.

Just like when Quincy had a decent showing against the Raiders IIRC. Threw a deep tD to Ken Yon Rambo. Jerry cut tony banks and declared Qc the starter.

CATCH17

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Ride the momentum.

If a vet QB becomes available then maybe you cut Showers for the vet but right now I'm definetely rolling with Dak.

The guy showed he can execute a screen, make plays downfield, get the ball to Dez, and scramble into field goal position after penalties knock us out of range.

This guy has played bigtime SEC football in front of crazy crowds.. Don't underrate that. He's dealt with plenty of pressure before.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What a waste of a 4th round draft pick. He's a running QB. I know this because I watched his YouTube highlights.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not going to anoint him yet but he made some really nice throws in his first NFL game. That's really all I was looking for. He has enough arm and I liked his accuracy. It's certainly something to build on.

He'll certainly come back to earth when he starts playing with the scrubs this pre-season but I'm so sick of watching guys like Breeden, McGee and Vaughn that at least Dak is a breath of fresh air.

Reaction score
You guys are missing my point. It's fine to be excited about Dak even though it's false hope because he sucks.

The problem is if he has to play real games this year, he will do terrible.

We need a veteran back up.

But since Dak had the greatest preseason game in the history of the world, Jerry will think he's black joe Montana and go into the year expecting him to play like that when it matters.

So if Romo misses two or three games, we're going to lose all of them.

Which we probably would anyways since Garrett is a shitty coach who can't win without Romo.

Reaction score
All of you guys saying your comfortable with Dak as the back up after one preseason game, take a look at Kellen Moores stat line from the redskins last year, against the division winners no less. And you guys, like all of us, wanted no part of Kellen as the back up.

Reaction score
Jerry will continue to make bad decisions no matter how well or how poorly Dak Prescott plays.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm still inclined to acquire a vet, but not if it costs a 4th rounder. wait for cut down day a month from now.

also, Cardale > Dak

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Midswat all of a sudden acting like we'd actually win games with a backup with Garrett as our HC.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You'd rather he look good than bad for sure, and at least he did that.

But my similar thought was about the team as a whole. They did look sharp. I'm afraid Jerry will want to shut down camp because, you know, we're obviously a well-oiled machine ready for opening day and don't need any more work. Wouldn't want to risk a sprained ankle or cramp or something serious like that.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
All of you guys saying your comfortable with Dak as the back up after one preseason game, take a look at Kellen Moores stat line from the redskins last year, against the division winners no less. And you guys, like all of us, wanted no part of Kellen as the back up.

Anyone actually watching the games can see that Dak has more potential than Moore. Well anyone except the guys running this team. Again though it was only 1 preseason game. Dak still has a long way to go before he's ready to play in a regular season game. I agree that they need to bring in a vet QB but for me that would be more about not ruining Dak than it would be about winning games this year. I'm sure everyone here agrees that if Romo goes down again we are completely screwed. The worst thing they could do would be to throw Dak to the wolves before he's ready and ruin his confidence.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You guys are missing my point. It's fine to be excited about Dak even though it's false hope because he sucks.

The problem is if he has to play real games this year, he will do terrible.

We need a veteran back up.

But since Dak had the greatest preseason game in the history of the world, Jerry will think he's black joe Montana and go into the year expecting him to play like that when it matters.

So if Romo misses two or three games, we're going to lose all of them.

Which we probably would anyways since Garrett is a shitty coach who can't win without Romo.

1336218665870154278.jpg

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dak looked really calm and comfortable out there imo. If I didn't know who was at QB I would have thought I was watching a seasoned, decent QB.

Seems like this would bode well for his future

Top Bottom