C

Cr122

Watkins: Wade Phillips says starters to play more

Wade Phillips says starters to play more
August, 18, 2010

By Calvin Watkins

OXNARD, Calif. -- In an interview with a small group of reporters, Wade Phillips said the starters will go longer in Saturday's game at San Diego.

There was some concern that Tony Romo wouldn't play as much vs. the Chargers because two starting offensive linemen, Kyle Kosier and Marc Colombo, won't play due to knee injuries.

But Phillips said Romo is going to play.

"The starters will play longer this game, certainly," Phillips said. "They need to play and play together as a team."

*Apparently swing tackle Alex Barron is getting closer to returning to the field, and Phillips said it's 50-50 in terms of him playing on Saturday.

Barron is not scheduled to participate in the second practice on Wednesday.

"He did a lot [Wednesday morning]. I was pleased with where he is," Phillips said. "Again, we're going to be cautious. He was smiling out there and he was jogging to the drill."

*There was a noncommittal from Phillips on Phil Costa being the backup center to Andre Gurode. Kosier is the backup center and was hurt on Wednesday morning playing center. Phillips called it a freak accident.

At the start of training camp, Travis Bright was getting reps as the backup center, but he struggled, allowing Costa to move in.

*In an interesting situation, fullback Chris Gronkowski got first-team reps. Not all of them, but enough to prompt a few reporters to ask Phillips about Gronkowski's progress.

"I didn't see him with them over there today," Phillips said. "Maybe you did. It's because rotation. Number of snaps with people."

C

Cr122

*In an interesting situation, fullback Chris Gronkowski got first-team reps. Not all of them, but enough to prompt a few reporters to ask Phillips about Gronkowski's progress.

"I didn't see him with them over there today," Phillips said. "Maybe you did. It's because rotation. Number of snaps with people."

lol Wade didn't see him?

Isn't that what the head coach is suppose to do is watch the practices?

Top Bottom