Iamtdg

Reaction score
The bad 2009 class is officially over
March, 28, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

With Victor Butler agreeing to a two-year deal with the New Orleans Saints on Thursday it mean the ending of the Dallas Cowboys' 2009 draft class.

The Cowboys drafted 12 players in 2009 and it was billed as a special teams draft. What it became was one of the worst drafts in the last ten years.

No starters were developed from this class and six made the 53-man roster. Things started off badly when the Cowboys began the draft without a first-round pick, handed to the Detroit as part of the Roy Williams deal. But with a second-round choice, the Cowboys traded it to Buffalo for a third-and-fourth round pick.

What did the Bills do with the pick?

Center Eric Wood was selected at No. 28.

We review the 2009 class:

Jason Williams. He was a third round pick, 69th overall from Western Illinois. He did make the team but had a little impact. Williams was supposed to be an outside linebacker with pass rushing ability. He struggled to learn Wade Phillips' defense and didn't earn a single-start. He played a career-high 14 games with the Carolina Panthers in 2011.

Robert Brewster. The tackle, a third rounder from Ball State, was the 75th overall selection. Let's just say Brewster's body wasn't in shape the moment he arrived at Valley Ranch. He was on the practice squad and that's about it. He never developed the strength necessary to be counted on to play in the NFL.

Stephen McGee. He was a backup who didn't develop. McGee struggled to convert from a quarterback that played out of the shotgun, to someone who needed to take snaps from center. The fourth-round pick from Texas A&M stayed way too long before getting released last summer.

Victor Butler. The Cowboys had some hopes for their fourth-round pick, 110 overall, on special teams and to provide some solid pass rush skills. Butler was inconsistent with the Cowboys and after touring at least four NFL teams this offseason, found a home with the Saints. Butler has potential, but needs to solve the inconsistency problems.

Brandon Williams. The linebacker from Texas Tech was a another fourth-round pick. The Fort Worth native played six games in 2010 and that was it. He didn't show much ability, now he did battle some injuries, but when healthy was inconsistent.

DeAngelo Smith. Smith was a fifth-round pick who didn't make the 53-man roster. The Cowboys thought he could be a solid cover guy, but just didn't provide the team with enough confidence to not only make the team, but to sustain a long-term career. Smith's claim to fame was getting beat by David Buehler in the 40 during training camp.

Michael Hamlin. The safety from Clemson was a fifth-round choice who did make the team but had little impact. He didn't contribute much on special teams. He played in four games with Jacksonville in 2010 and is out of the league.

David Buehler. The kicker from USC displayed a strong leg on kickoffs yet a groin injury in 2011 ended his time with the Cowboys. Buehler, a fifth-round pick, converted 75 percent of his field goals, including a career-long 53 yarder. Consistency was an issue and he didn't kick for anybody last season as he recovered from surgery on his groin. He signed with the New York Giants and could make the roster.

Stephen Hodge. The linebacker/safety from TCU just couldn't recover from his knee injuries. Hodge was projected as a special teams ace but his health prevented him from doing that. This is a sixth-round pick that just didn't work.

John Phillips. The tight end was a sixth-round pick who played well at times. He wasn't better than Martellus Bennett, a second-round pick from 2008. Phillips tore his ACL in the 2010 preseason opener and it slowed his progress. He was surpassed by James Hanna, a sixth-round pick in 2012, late in the season. Phillips signed a free agent deal with San Diego.

Mike Mickens. He was a seventh-round selection who is out of the league and didn't play any NFL games.

Manuel Johnson. Johnson was an East Texas favorite who made some plays in the preseason but just never did enough to make the 53-man roster.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I remember Wade raving about Brandon Williams' 1st step and all the homers jumping on that bandwagon; dbair most prominently.

Of course I was the only person on CZ in Victor Butler's corner.

What's even worse about that draft class is that we had so many guys just vanish after getting drafted. At least play a season on special teams. Goodness.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I remember Wade raving about Brandon Williams' 1st step and all the homers jumping on that bandwagon; dbair most prominently.

Of course I was the only person on CZ in Victor Butler's corner.

What's even worse about that draft class is that we had so many guys just vanish after getting drafted. At least play a season on special teams. Goodness.

It reminds me of those awful mid 90's to early 2000's drafts.

The son of a bitch just won't learn.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Good one. Imagine if we had taken 4 offensive lineman and hit on 2 of them. We'd be in a much better position.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
2009 Draft re-do:

First off, don't make awful Roy Williams trade.
Second, don't make awful trade down in the 2nd round.

Assume all other trades happened:

Draft
1(20) Alex Mack C California
2(51) Andy Levitre G Oregon State
3a(69) Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech
3b(84) Mike Wallace WR Ole Miss
4a(101) Henry Melton DT Texas
4b(120) Greg Toler CB St. Paul's College
5a(143) James Casey TE Rice
5b(166) Javon Ringer RB Michigan State
5c(172) Matt Slauson G Nebraska
6a(192) Brandon Gibson WR Washington State
6b(197) Jason McCourty CB Rutgers
6c(208) Captain Munnerlyn DB/KR South Carolina
7a(227) Arian Foster RB Tennessee
7b(229) Dannell Ellerbe LB Georgia

the #1 homer defense for the 2009 debacle was that is was an awful draft anyway. Doesn't seem that is true at all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
2009 Draft re-do:

First off, don't make awful Roy Williams trade.
Second, don't make awful trade down in the 2nd round.

Assume all other trades happened:

Draft
1(20) Alex Mack C California
2(51) Andy Levitre G Oregon State
3a(69) Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech
3b(84) Mike Wallace WR Ole Miss
4a(101) Henry Melton DT Texas
4b(120) Greg Toler CB St. Paul's College
5a(143) James Casey TE Rice
5b(166) Javon Ringer RB Michigan State
5c(172) Matt Slauson G Nebraska
6a(192) Brandon Gibson WR Washington State
6b(197) Jason McCourty CB Rutgers
6c(208) Captain Munnerlyn DB/KR South Carolina
7a(227) Arian Foster RB Tennessee
7b(229) Dannell Ellerbe LB Georgia

the #1 homer defense for the 2009 debacle was that is was an awful draft anyway. Doesn't seem that is true at all.
You just had to go and kick us all in the nuts didn't you?

Reaction score
Nice idea cmd, but if you consider that we traded the #1 for a WR, then I'd think logic would dictate we would've used that #1 on a WR.

We probably would've ended up with Percy Harvin, Hakeem Nicks, or Kenny Britt.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Nice idea cmd, but if you consider that we traded the #1 for a WR, then I'd think logic would dictate we would've used that #1 on a WR.

roy-williams-first-down1.jpg

And miss out on this guy and his first down theatrics?

Not a chance in hell.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I almost went with Harvin when I posted that and back in 2009, Nicks was a pet cat of mine.

I just want the damn O Line fixed even if it's in hypothetical back to the future ideas.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
As a Dallas Cowboys fan you're trained to withstand having your nuts ripped out and smashed on the ground.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Agree on the WR. The idea was to get someone to take the pressure off TO, which Crayton obviously wasn't good enough to do.

We supposedly loved Maclin, and at the time he was thought to be a top-10 pick... I really think once he fell as far as he did, Jerry would have made a Dez-style small trade up to get him.

Top Bottom