C

Cr122

Louisville RB to visit Valley Ranch
April, 4, 2011
By Calvin Watkins

The visits are heating up for the Cowboys with Louisville running back Bilal Powell scheduled to visit Valley Ranch on Tuesday.

Powell rushed for 1,405 yards with 11 touchdowns last season, but he wouldn't be used as the No. 1 back for the Cowboys. Powell, if taken, would mainly play special teams and could push Tashard Choice for some playing time as a backup running back.

Here's what Scouts Inc. has to say about Powell. You have to be an ESPN Insider to view the entire thing, but he's an example:
Very good vision and run instincts. Feels the crease before it opens and knows how to set up his blocks. Has patience but is decisive. This is his greatest strength as a runner.

Of course, what to do at the running back position is an issue.

Marion Barber and Felix Jones are the main running backs with some signs that Barber might get released when the lockout ends.

Coach Jason Garrett said he's confident in Jones' abilities to receive more carries, but he won't criticize Barber, who clearly isn't the same back that he was in 2007 when he earned a Pro Bowl berth.

Yet, with the Cowboys looking at a running back, it is interesting.

kingdomcome1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm all for trading Barber to New England for a third rounder. I would be a very happy camper if we traded both him and Bennett for picks this year.

Reaction score
I'm all for trading Barber to New England for a third rounder. I would be a very happy camper if we traded both him and Bennett for picks this year.

lol

We'd be lucky to get a conditional 7th for the guy. Dead serious.

kingdomcome1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
lol

We'd be lucky to get a conditional 7th for the guy. Dead serious.

Which one? I think Barber needs a new place to work. As for Bennett, heck he's a pretty good blocker, just needs to get his head in the game more. I think with a Belichick type mindset around both of them, they could still produce.

Reaction score
Which one? I think Barber needs a new place to work. As for Bennett, heck he's a pretty good blocker, just needs to get his head in the game more. I think with a Belichick type mindset around both of them, they could still produce.

Barber. He's got no trade value. Dead legs and an inflated contract.

Bennett is a steal for a team needing a TE. He'll flourish when he can be a #1.

It's the type of trade where, we'll be lucky to get a 5th maybe, and then he'll go on to catch 70 balls a year and everyone will think we were a fool for making the trade. When, in reality, it's more a situation where the kid will never give his full attention while serving as a #2, so we're ultimately better off getting rid of him and getting something in return.

With his lack of production and his attitude, he's not someone you re-sign.

kingdomcome1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Barber. He's got no trade value. Dead legs and an inflated contract.

Bennett is a steal for a team needing a TE. He'll flourish when he can be a #1.

It's the type of trade where, we'll be lucky to get a 5th maybe, and then he'll go on to catch 70 balls a year and everyone will think we were a fool for making the trade. When, in reality, it's more a situation where the kid will never give his full attention while serving as a #2, so we're ultimately better off getting rid of him and getting something in return.

With his lack of production and his attitude, he's not someone you re-sign.

Hey, I can dream can't I? :)

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Barber wouldn't even get us a 3rd rounder in the WNBA Draft.

Top Bottom