Reaction score
Ed Werder has a theory that the Dallas Cowboys' firing of running backs coach Skip Peete on Monday could be the start of a series of firings on the offensive coaching staff. Ed believes, based on the conversations he's had with people close to the situation, that there's a chance Cowboys owner Jerry Jones wants to clear room on the coaching staff to allow him to hire Norv Turner as offensive coordinator and take playcalling duties out of the hands of head coach Jason Garrett. It's all here in this video clip from SportsCenter this morning:

"As this process continues, it’s possible that if Jones does decide that Jason Garrett’s not going to be the offensive playcaller going forward as he has been to this point, that he will continue to fire members of the offensive coaching staff in a move to try to bring offensive coordinator Norv Turner in to call plays for Tony Romo as he did during their glory days for Troy Aikman," Ed says.

"One of the obstacles to Turner returning to Dallas is that he would want to bring many members of his own offensive coaching staff… so they would obviously have to create some vacancies."​

To those who are clamoring for Jones to hire an offensive coordinator, this may sound good. But I believe it would represent both a departure for Jones from the way he's operated for the past couple of years and a mistake if what he wants is to give Garrett the best possible chance to succeed. Jones has been determined to give Garrett support and leeway, and the changes to the coaching staff last year were made with significant Garrett input. The Cowboys made significant strides this year in several areas and, I believe, either met or outperformed reasonable expectations. As recently as Week 16, the vibe around the Cowboys was a proud and positive one. It's tough for me to believe sweeping changes are necessary because they lost the final game of the season to the red-hot Redskins on the road without half their defense. And a change like this, to bring in a coordinator as strong-willed and recognized as Turner, would likely create a level of tension on the coaching staff that might not be conducive to a winning environment. It's not that Garrett doesn't need a playcaller, but this would feel like an extreme and danger-ridden solution to a specific problem.

As you know if you read regularly, my opinion is that Jones' talk of "change" in his radio interview last week falls into the category of an owner playing to disappointed fans, not a hint about some grand organizational plan. So my hunch is that the kind of significant change Ed is talking about remains unlikely. However, Ed has been around Jones and the Cowboys for a much longer time than I have and has very good sources, so if the plan he's talking about ended up taking shape, you couldn't view it as a huge surprise. You'd just have to view it as a drastic change of course for an owner who's been practicing the patience he's been preaching since he elevated Garrett to the top job.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah I saw Werder on the TV's while at lunch, the place didnt have the sound on but they were discussing the "changes" co,ing. They did flash to picture of Norv for quite some time.

I dont know what was being said however.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And I think hiring Norv and whomever Norv wants to rbing to the offensive staff would help, but it aint fixing everything else. I'm sure the defense would continue to underperform and overall, I'm not sure how much (if any) the fundamentals of the team would improve.

I really think Jerry is blowing it if he doesnt make a HC change. And if I was running things I wouldnt just stop at the HC and staff.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
To those who are clamoring for Jones to hire an offensive coordinator, this may sound good. But I believe it would represent both a departure for Jones from the way he's operated for the past couple of years and a mistake if what he wants is to give Garrett the best possible chance to succeed. Jones has been determined to give Garrett support and leeway, and the changes to the coaching staff last year were made with significant Garrett input. The Cowboys made significant strides this year in several areas and, I believe, either met or outperformed reasonable expectations. As recently as Week 16, the vibe around the Cowboys was a proud and positive one. It's tough for me to believe sweeping changes are necessary because they lost the final game of the season to the red-hot Redskins on the road without half their defense. And a change like this, to bring in a coordinator as strong-willed and recognized as Turner, would likely create a level of tension on the coaching staff that might not be conducive to a winning environment.
FFS, why do the local media guys love Garrett so much? This is Watkins but they're almost all similar. Because he smiles at them at the press conferences? Because they're enamored with the Ivy League degree?

Because right, why would we change anything about a franchise that did so much so right this year?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And I think hiring Norv and whomever Norv wants to rbing to the offensive staff would help, but it aint fixing everything else. I'm sure the defense would continue to underperform and overall, I'm not sure how much (if any) the fundamentals of the team would improve.

I really think Jerry is blowing it if he doesnt make a HC change. And if I was running things I wouldnt just stop at the HC and staff.

You mentioned recently as to how the Texans stuck with Kubiak with his 8-8 seasons. Naturally if the Cowboys were/are rebuilding, then I can understand the logic of keeping Garrett, and those 8-8s wouldn't look so bad, they'd have some perspective. But you have a mix of a veteran and talented core that is comprised of Romo, Witten, Austin, Bryant, Murray, Ware, Lee, Carter, etc. And if you are looking to WIN NOW... then you need a veteran HC, and not someone that is trying to learn on the fly. Right now, Gruden would be the one that could get the best of out that core.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think Garrett will do well as the leader of men HC, as opposed to the dual HC/OC. I think he's a failure as an OC and it's not going to get any better for him because his scheme is antiquated, but all the lessons he's taken from Mike K, Joe Gibbs, Jimmy Johnson etc. and how he conducts himself are going to pay off as a Bill Parcells; minus the gruffness, type of head coach. One who delegates responsibilities but ultimately has final sway and one who shapes and molds the types of players that are on his roster. IMO

Or at least I think that's the direction Garrett should take during his time as HC here. Because he's not going to win the battle of offensive playcaller.

Last edited:

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Why in the world would norv come here.

He would get al the blame If nothing improves, Jerry would have to pay him a fortune.

Can't this organization come up with anything new?

Doesn't cam Cameron make more sense?

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yes. And a failure in Miami.

Runs the same offense, is better within the running game.

He would cost less, have Garrett's trust to call plays and not be a threatening option on the sideline.

If we hire norv, the ed werders and randy Galloways of the world will be saying he should be the head coach after every loss,
U know like they did with wade and Jason.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Norv would be insane to sign up for a potential lame duck Garrett season, and then be at the mercy of the new coach in 2014. Nor do we want a situation where the new coach has to accept Norv as OC.

Reaction score
Great point. Going to be hard to convince a potential OC to come here with the knowledge that Garrett will likely get shatcanned the next year.

Truthfully, if we make the stupid decision to retain Garrett, then I'm fine with just having Callahan call plays.

Top Bottom