bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
Watkins: Jerry Jones - Cowboys in title hunt

Jerry Jones: Cowboys in title hunt
Updated: October 16, 2012, 10:38 AM ET
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Dallas Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said based on what he saw from his team in a 31-29 loss to the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday, he believes he has a team that can compete for a championship this season.

"We've got to have some wins to make sure we're in the hunt," Jones said on his twice-weekly radio show on KRLD-FM Tuesday morning.

"But I keep pointing out we're fresh off a world champion (New York Giants) that won nine of 16 ballgames last year. We know you want your team as healthy, and as in sync as it can be as we get on into the end of the season. We know we've played one division game and won it (against the Giants). We got those guys, Giants, coming back in here. We know that's going to be a big game for us and all of those things give us a chance to take a team that is involving into, if you look at the pluses (Sunday), involving into a team that can compete for the championship, not next year, this year."

When asked to clarify he meant this year for the Cowboys to win a title Jones said, "Correct. Let me emphasize that. I'm not into everybody getting better or learning for years to come, it's this year."

The Cowboys have won just two playoff games since their last Super Bowl title where they defeated Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XXX in the 1995 season.

Since 1997, the Cowboys are 122-123.

Yet, Jones feels confident in his team's abilities to forge ahead. In the loss to the Ravens, the Cowboys rushed for 227 yards, the most allowed in the history of the Ravens' franchise.

But there were all sorts of problems with the loss.

Coach Jason Garrett mismanaged the closing seconds of the game, instead of running one more play, he allowed precious seconds to tick away before calling a timeout with six seconds remaining rather than with about 22 seconds. Kicker Dan Bailey missed a 51-yard field goal with two seconds left.

The Cowboys were penalized 13 times for 82 yards, the third time this season they've been flagged at least 13 times. Also, wide receiver Dez Bryant dropped a potential two-point conversion pass that would have tied the game.

Jones talked about how hard his team played and it was perceived he was saying the Cowboys had a moral victory. Tuesday morning, Jones wasn't buying it.

"I'm not either and I would agree and I don't want you to have to feel good about a moral victory," Jones said. "We went up there and everyone, before that ballgame on our team, thought we would win and we could win that ball game and we recognize that Baltimore has a good team and we recognize we were playing them away. But everybody thought we could win that ballgame.

"It's terribly disappointing, but we played physically, we did things we can win with in the future. I think we are preparing ourselves, now let me say this, we're 2-3 and so that's five games into a 16-game season, we don't have time to have a bad time here."

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
FUCK YOU!

The bastard is just trying to sell tickets. Now I hope we get embarassed the rest of the year.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
i dont think he can hear you jon.

its sad that the media pays so much attention to jerry and the rest of his family.

If they would stop having them on they would go away. But that will never happen.

the media despises jerry so much is the same media that promotes him and gives him the outlet.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
i dont think he can hear you jon.

its sad that the media pays so much attention to jerry and the rest of his family.

If they would stop having them on they would go away. But that will never happen.

the media despises jerry so much is the same media that promotes him and gives him the outlet.

I'm not sure why they give him so much attention. I would rather talk to a retarded person about football than Jerry. I would definitely learn more.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
They don't care about learning anything. They know there's a great chance he'll make some comments crazy enough to create a story.

Like this time.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
They don't care about learning anything. They know there's a great chance he'll make some comments crazy enough to create a story.

Like this time.

bingo.

its sad. You would think the jones family would be smart enough to say ok enough of this, no matter media for us lets really give the head coach the platform and the players for a change.

but that will never happen.

Stadium tours

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Like this time.

I wonder what needs to happen for them to stop asking him questions and to start looking at him like he's a turd in the punchbowl. Because he is.

Reaction score
"But I keep pointing out we're fresh off a world champion (New York Giants) that won nine of 16 ballgames last year. We know you want your team as healthy, and as in sync as it can be as we get on into the end of the season. We know we've played one division game and won it (against the Giants). We got those guys, Giants, coming back in here. We know that's going to be a big game for us and all of those things give us a chance to take a team that is involving into, if you look at the pluses (Sunday), involving into a team that can compete for the championship, not next year, this year."

The Cowboys will be lucky just to win 9 games. And this moron is trying to hype us for the SB?

silver

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Well at least he's consistent. I remember when he promised a Super Bowl run when he drafted Quincy Carter.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
He's more delusional than Kirstie Alley standing in front of a mirror.

silver

Cheerleader
Reaction score
http://www.knowyourdallascowboys.com/2012/02/26/more-quote-trivia-the-dumb-things-jerry-jones-says/

Written on FEBRUARY 26, 2012 AT 2:12 AM by MATT CORDON
More Quote Trivia: The Dumb Things Jerry Jones Says

This series might not catch on, but either way, it won’t take much effort to keep it alive. I’ll just keep providing quotes from Jerry Jones.

Here is the one from today:

“I see the talent level being able to put us in a competitive situation for the Super Bowl. I saw it at the start of that [2010] season and I see it with what we had last year, that there’s a talent level that can compete for a Super Bowl.”

Um, Jerry, wasn’t the 2010 season the one where the team started 1-7? Yeah, I think we all know what happened. I don’t even know how to respond to this.

Top Bottom