C

Cr122

Is Stephen McGee in trouble?
August, 17, 2010

By Calvin Watkins

OXNARD, Calif. -- The Cowboys have quite a few good special teams players who might force the team to go heavy at certain positions such as safety, linebacker and wide receiver.

If that happens the Cowboys might go short at another spot. Like quarterback.

In 2008, the Cowboys played with just two quarterbacks, Tony Romo and Brad Johnson. But after Johnson's struggles in place of an injured Romo, the Cowboys upgraded the spot by trading for Jon Kitna in 2009.

The Cowboys also drafted Texas A&M's Stephen McGee in the fourth round. Last season, McGee was inactive as the third quarterback the entire season as he recovered from a sprained MCL in his right knee suffered in a preseason game.

This year, the Cowboys want to see what McGee is all about and sometimes in practices against the first-team and second-team defenses he's running for his life. It seems hard to judge McGee when he has to move around the pocket all the time.

Offensive coordinator Jason Garrett said you can judge McGee on his decisions: Does McGee throw the ball away? How quick does he feel the pressure? Can he throw on the run?

In the two preseason games, McGee has completed 48.3 percent of his passes. Now he's thrown more passes than any of the quarterbacks with 29. And McGee has been sacked more than anyone, four times, and his quarterback rating is 60.6.

We're not saying McGee needs to get cut. But the next three games are important for him.

"We’ve gone with two quarterbacks and we’ve gone with three quarterbacks," coach Wade Phillips said. "So, it’s whoever you think your best players are going to be."

When asked does McGee need to do a little more he said, "I'm not signaling out McGee. We're not going in that direction. We're just saying we try to keep our best players."

C

Cr122

I would only carry two quarterbacks if I knew our offensive line were secure enough.

I mean we could go with Romo and Kitna as long as they survived the injury bug.

But there's question marks on our offensive line.

Reaction score
Bad idea.

If we had a younger back up to Romo, then maybe . . . maybe.

As it is, Kitna is 39 and is risk to retire any off season. I don't want to have Romo's back up next year be a young guy with no prior experience. And no, Matt Nichols or some other practice squad guy wouldn't be ready to assume back up duty.

Keep developing McGee. If he shows nothing by the end of the pre-season, and we find him expendable, sign someone elses cast off and start developing them.

C

Cr122

By our future, he won't be replacing Romo anytime soon. Romo still has 5-7 years in him.

Well Yes, of course.

So McGee is just here for the ride then? Why do we need him?

I think if Tony got hurt Kitna could handle the job, then we could bring in someone else then. I'm just saying if it gives more of an option at the weaker positions, that's all.

sbk92

Reaction score
I don't think depth this season plays any part in it because I think you can sign a guy off the street during the season to do what McGee would do if he had to play this year.

The offensive line makes it impossible to fairly evaluate him.

That being said, I don't think he's going to amount to anything.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I don't think depth this season plays any part in it because I think you can sign a guy off the street during the season to do what McGee would do if he had to play this year.

The offensive line makes it impossible to fairly evaluate him.

That being said, I don't think he's going to amount to anything.

The odds are that he won't be anything special.

If I recall, you were on the Romo bandwagon early on... So was I.

He looked like he had the passing skills right out of college, heck he had a 62% completion percentage for his entire college career and his senior year he averaged almost 8.4 yards per attempt.

I don't think McGee is anywhere near as gifted a passer.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I didn't see the Oakland game because they didn't show it here but I heard the offensive line was horrible. We better get it straightened out. So far we can't draft lineman or coach ones we're forced to sign either.

C

Cr122

I didn't see the Oakland game because they didn't show it here but I heard the offensive line was horrible. We better get it straightened out. So far we can't draft lineman or coach ones we're forced to sign either.

You should of came here, we always have links to the game, we were watching it and posting comments in the gameday chatter thread.

We have one every week here, check here for the San Diego game.

sbk92

Reaction score
The odds are that he won't be anything special.

If I recall, you were on the Romo bandwagon early on... So was I.

He looked like he had the passing skills right out of college, heck he had a 62% completion percentage for his entire college career and his senior year he averaged almost 8.4 yards per attempt.

I don't think McGee is anywhere near as gifted a passer.

I thought immediately when I saw Romo play that he had a future in the NFL. But at that time I was thinking more backup, nothing like he's amounted too.

McGee looks like more of an athlete to me than a quarterback. I don't get the feeling the guy can read defenses or that he has any pocket presence whatsoever.

It's year 2. He's not supposed to have arrived yet, but we should see signs of it and I haven't yet. Romo flashed right away.

sbk92

Reaction score
And this means the Cowboys need to get another QB prospect in here with some pedigree.

kingdomcome1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'd like to see a little more of McGee before we pull the plug on him. I actually like him and think he can be our #2 down the road.....

Top Bottom