C

Cr122

Wade Phillips wrestling with difficult decision for Thursday
Posted at 3:56 PM on Mon., Aug. 30, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

One of the strengths of Wade Phillips, according to the players, is his evenhandedness. He never gets too high or too low, especially the low part, when things are going good or bad, especially the bad.

Sometimes it comes across as if he is too easy on his players. Heck, maybe he is too easy on them. But they appreciate the fact that he is the same guy every day.

So this is the decision he has to wrestle with for Thursday's game against Miami: trust his philosophy that has worked pretty well the first three years and sit his starters or go ahead and play them for a series or more against the Dolphins.

"I like the way we've done it," Phillips said, hinting perhaps that the starters won't play.

The Cowboys have struggled in the preseason. The first-team offense has one touchdown drive and it lasted 8 yards. The defense has had its down moments, too, either with some of the third-down work or stopping the run.

The easy answer is to say they have been vanilla, but Phillips said what has bothered him most have been the breakdowns players have had in base stuff. The easy things have been problematic.

"I joked last year that we won the division at 2-2 in the preseason," Phillips said. "Everybody else was 1-3. Well, there were some pretty good teams in our division. Two of them were in the playoffs. Preseason is important for a lot of things. I think it's interesting to see the players, the games, how they do and talk about all of it. But I'm getting a football team ready. That's what I'm doing."

Top Bottom