C

Cr122

Wade Phillips: 'We will be awfully good on defense'

08:15 PM CDT on Sunday, August 22, 2010
SportsDayDFW.com
Dallas Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips joined the 2 Live Stews on Sporting News Radio before Saturday's game to discuss quarterback Tony Romo and the pressure of possibly playing the Super Bowl at home. Here are some highlights with the trascription courtesy of sportsradio interviews:

Whether this preseason feels different than previous ones due to all of the hype with the Super Bowl to be played in Dallas:

“Well I don’t know. I mean the expectations are always high for the Dallas Cowboys, I think. We’ve got a great history and we have high expectations for this football team. That is all part of it. Certainly a lot of teams have a lot of high expectations, but we are one of them.”

How he thinks Tony Romo’s growth process has been proceeding:

“Tony, he has really come along. He has won a lot of games in the last three years, probably as many as anybody. I know his winning percentage is about as high as anybody’s but I think he has come along really well and he hopes to get better and better. That would be great for us because he is already one of the top quarterbacks in the league already.”

Whether the NFL pundits predicting the Cowboys to play in the Super Bowl at Cowboys Stadium has put any more pressure on him as a coach or if he just overlooks it:

“That is what we do, we expect the most and the best out of our teams, out of our players and coaching-wise. This is great for everybody. Everybody is 0-0 and looking forward to this season. I don’t think it is any different than any other year in Dallas, they have been picked a lot of times to win.”

What the strength of their defense is:

“Well we are pretty strong overall. I thought the last part of the year, last year we really came along defensively. Our front seven is really strong, our corners are really good, I think our safeties are going to play well. We had two shutouts at the end of the year last year which is the first time in the history of the Cowboys. If we can get back to that level I think we will be awfully good on defense.”

Whether Felix Jones is going to run the ball a little bit more this season:

“Well we try to give it as much as we can to him and Marion. We were in the top of the league in rushing last year, we want to repeat that and those two guys have a lot to do with it although Tashard Choice is a very good running back. It is hard to give everyone the football but we are going to try to give as much as we can. Both of those guys catch the ball out of the backfield well so we may throw it to them some.”

• • •

Top Bottom