C

Cr122

Wade Phillips Soundbytes

Wade Phillips: "Tashard Choice does everything well and he's had a good camp, so I'd like to see him play'
Posted at 8:29 PM on Thu., Aug. 5, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
SportsDayDFW.com sports Bio | E-mail | News tips

Press Conference:
"We'll finish our last two-a-day here today. We're still working training camp; we have not worked on Cincinnati yet. Tomorrow we will try to show our guys kind of what we think Cincinnati is going to do. You really want them to play fundamentals; it's running, blocking, tackling, those kind of things, especially in the first preseason game. Rather than coaches coming up with some exotic scheme and the other team not being prepared, because when you get to the regular season they're going to be prepared for whatever you do and you're going to be prepared for whatever they do. Some teams in preseason do it the opposite way and they just blitz and do all kind of different things that give you a lot of problems and make you look bad a little bit, but they're not able to do that during the regular season. I like to see them play the game, I like to see running, blocking, tackling and see how you do there, and the coaching part, the scheming part will come as you go. We're always pretty basic; since I've been here were pretty basic in the preseason. I want to see the fundamentals and the fundamentals are running, blocking, and tackling and I want to see how they do in the ball game; that's our preparation."

On Anthony Spencer coming back and his availability for the game:
"Spencer came back and practiced this morning; he'll practice again this afternoon. He's available for the game, he'll probably play the same amount as our starters unless we, for precautionary reasons, say 'hey don't go out there'. But right now I think he's fine."

Did Sean Lee and Akwasi Owusu-Ansah practice:
"Sean Lee and Akwasi both practiced; both of them practiced well as a matter of fact. I'm looking forward to seeing them in practice again this afternoon."

Will Sean Lee play Sunday?
"Probably not. The other day when we made the list for the game we didn't include him, but that could change. He has practiced; he practiced well yesterday and looks like he's practicing pretty well today. He may see some action. Let's finish today and see what happens."

Who else will not play Sunday besides Dez Bryant?
"Montrae Holland, Patrick Watkins, Sean Lissemore and Stephen Hodge."

Who are you interested in seeing play to see if they can carry over from camp?
"Some of the young guys and some of the guys who haven't been with us, those people for sure. Even guys who are coming along that have been with us some, the (Kevin) Ogletrees, Sam Hurd is going to play quite a bit. Give those guys an opportunity to play and show what they can do. Of course any of the young guys; I'd like to see Titus Ryan, I'd want to see him on the returns - kickoff and punt. Cletis Gordon will return kickoffs also. I hope there aren't too many returns, or that we kick all of them. Just guys like that, there are quite a few. Leon Williams, who hadn't been with us but has played before, we'd like to see him play. Of course our young guys - Jason Williams, Brandon Williams, Victor Butler, defensively speaking. John Phillips will get some playing time depending on Martellus (Bennett), what his situation is too; still like to play him some too if we can. I think Tashard Choice will play a little bit, give him the opportunity to play some. Of course the young running backs, the full backs. I think all in all we have a group that needs some playing time, need to see how they compete."

Are you still being cautious with Martellus Bennett?
"He's still practicing. He's got the right attitude; he's working through it in practice. He's still sore, you can see him limp some, but he caught a lot of passes this morning and he's working on his blocking. If we hold him out it'll be because of us not him."

On if WR Sam Hurd has been set in the same role during the past few years:
"I don't know if he's been set in the same role. He's kind of like how Miles Austin was where he was hurt when he had his opportunity to play. He was hurt and fell behind right when it was time for somebody to be there. We want to give him an opportunity to play receiver, not special teams."

On what kind of growth he's seen of Hurd as a receiver:
"I think he's a good receiver. He's made big plays for us in the past and made some outstanding plays. There was one where he ran through the whole team and ran into the end zone for a touchdown last year. I'd like to see him get an opportunity as a receiver."

On how Defensive Line Coach Paul Pasqualoni will signal in the plays to the defensive line this season:
"The defensive line coach will signal the stunts we have based on what I call for the defensive linemen. You've got coverage and sometimes you have stunts or up front things you do differently. (Former defensive line coach) Todd (Grantham) and Paul (Pasqualoni) both would be really key in setting up their protections as far as game plan wise, which we won't have much in this game."

On how RB Tashard Choice has been during training camp:
"I think he looked real good. We really like him and I think everybody can see what kind of running back he is. He does everything well and he's had a good camp, so I'd like to see him play."

On the progress of QB Stephen McGee and if he has any chance of being the Cowboys number two quarterback:
"I think with Stephen McGee we're trying to get him to come through as our quarterback of the future. When we drafted him that's what we wanted and that's what we're trying to look at. It's not really him trying to be number two. It's whether he can play in this league and also if he can play well in this league and come through for us in later years. But we'd like for him to come as quick as he can."

On if it's good for players to be joking around at practice at this point in training camp:
"Yes, if they can laugh every once in awhile instead of crying every day, then it's okay. It's a heavy workload and a heavy mental workload because when we're not practicing, we're meeting. I think it's a good release for players to have some fun, as long as it's in the context of getting ready for practice and not taking away from practice."

On the advantages and disadvantages of having training camp at a team's home facility or in another place:
"(While with the Chargers) San Diego was really good for us, I thought, just staying there. Your surroundings are the same and you don't have to move all of your stuff, for one thing. You don't have to move your equipment, weights and all of those things. You still have the same meetings at the hotel or wherever they stay in. I'm not sure going away for training camp is what it used to be because you don't go away that long. It used to be that we'd go away for eight weeks and the team bonded together. I think they still bond together if they stay at home, but the problem with some teams, Dallas included, is you can't stay at home and live through it, I'm talking about heat wise. I'd hate to be practicing in Dallas the last couple of days. We wouldn't have had near the practices we've had or near the concentration or near the time or reps. You lose a lot, I think, and I've been through it. I think one year with the New Orleans Saints we went to Ruston (La.) and with the Houston Oilers we went to Nacogdoches and in those places I thought it wore our team down before we got to the season. And you don't get as many reps and don't get as many things done. I think the weather has a lot to do with it. Going away for three weeks or four weeks is not near as big as eight weeks. There's some pros and cons, but I do think the weather is a big factor and that's why it's great that we can come here and we're indoors and we're able to go to Oxnard where the weather is great."

On if getting off the field turf and onto real grass will be a benefit for the players:
"I think getting outside and off the turf will be a change for them. We've had good practices in here and we usually do when we go indoors at home when we go to our stadium. It picks up a little bit and the crowd is certainly great. All of the Cowboys fans here I think motivate the players. So those are all good things."

sbk92

Reaction score
We usually look awful the first preseason game.

Cincinnati 42
Dallas 13

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
They'll have motivation to win this one since Emmit is going in which means that we will lose it 3 to 108 if you go by how we play when we are honoring folks.

Top Bottom