MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Rob Ryan Pops a Cowboys Meme on the Nose, Part I

Posted by Rafael at Friday, February 18, 2011

Rob Ryan introduced himself to the press and the Cowboys faithful yesterday, and displayed the Ryan family confidence. He referred to himself as a superlative coach (I've taken the liberty of paraphrasing his colorful self-descriptions) and had higher praise for new assistants Brian Baker (defensive line) and Matt Eberflus (linebackers).

Ryan quickly cut down a meme which had metastasized in Cowboys circles, the notion that he would move nose tackle Jay Ratliff to defensive end.

I've pointed out on a couple of occasions that the Ryan system relies on a dominant player over the nose. Ratliff represents one of the best interior rushers in the game, and is a novelty not seen in close to 20 years -- a rush nose tackle. Let's take a look at some arguments given for moving Ratliff wide, and why Ryan and Bakers have resisted them.

1. Ratliff is too small, and gets worn down on double teams inside.

I find this one puzzling. Nose guards get a lot of double team work on inside runs, but the nature of run blocking in the NFL these days is to create double-teams at the point of attack. Defensive ends get double-teamed too; if a direct run or trap is going to the edge of a 3-4, the DE will find himself with two blockers in his face. Look at this series of stills from a piece I wrote on the Denver trap, a running play the Eagles used very effectively in their win over Dallas in Cowboys Stadium. Look in particular at stills 3 and 4, where Stephen Bowen is engaged by a guard and tackle.

If NFL OCs perceive you as a weakness in the run game, they'll run at you, no matter where you line up. And when they run at you, they're going to double-team you.

I did some research on NFL linemen and am convinced that Ratliff would wear down faster if he were move to the edge. I looked at every starting NFL center and every starting NFL left tackle and averaged their weights. Keep in mind that Ratliff lists at 303 lbs.

Avg. weight for NFL starting Centers -- 303 lbs.
Number of starting Cs who outweigh Ratliff by 10+ lbs. -- 4 (5 if you count Andre Gurode)

Most of the guys Ratliff faces weigh roughly the same as he does. Maybe one in ten poses a size mismatch. Look at the better centers in the league and you find Ratliff measures up well with them:

Dan Koppen -- 296 lbs.
Nick Mangold -- 305
Maurkice Pouncey -- 304
Shaun O'Hara -- 303
Matt Birk -- 310

If you look at the LTs, it's an entirely different story. Where the percentage of opposing centers who outweigh Ratliff by 10 lbs. is somewhere in the 12% range, that number balloons to near 80% when you look at left tackles. Ratliff would be butting heads for hundreds of downs with guys roughly 20 lbs. heavier than the guys he's facing right now. And he's guaranteed to see double-teams from guards or tight ends on plays to his edge. I don't see any physical benefits from this move.

2. He'll be better next to Demarcus Ware. Teams would not be able to double team him off that edge.

Ratliff already lines up next to Ware a lot when the Cowboys go to their nickel, and Ratliff lines up as a DT in a four man line, with Ware putting his hand down as the DE. It didn't produce any great benefits last season. Moreover, offensive coordinators can negate this when the Cowboys are in a 3-4 base front.

Let's go back to 2006, when Bill Parcells was the coach. Parcells ran the closest thing the NFL has to a a ''pure'' 3-4, in that he two-gapped his linemen, putting them all head-up over the C and the two OTs all the time. Parcells rarely blitzed from this package, using a four-man rush as his default. Nearly all the time, especially on 1st and 2nd downs, that rush consisted of the three-man line, and the weakside outside linebacker.

Teams became aware that Demarcus Ware was the only edge rusher who could threaten the quarterback. Greg Ellis had been solid, bagging 4.5 quarterbacks early on, but he tore his Achilles tendon in game nine. Afterwards, Al Singleton took most of the reps, with Bobby Carpenter rotating in at times. Opposing coaches would simply flop their TE to Ware's side, knowing this would make him the strong side-backer and give him drop responsibility. Teams passed a lot on first down, figuring Singleton would not hurt them. He didn't, getting one sack in his six starts.

Teams would do this again if they saw Dallas running a lot of four-man base rushes. Wade Phillips countered this by having Ware and Anthony Spencer flop with a motioning TE, so that Spencer always had strong side duties and Ware lined up weakside. If Ryan does this, motioning a TE to Ratliff's side would put Spencer next to him and Ware opposite, taking any Ware-next-to-Ratliff benefit away.

The skinny -- it's not as easy to get that dream double as you might think.

Where's the Beef?

The Ratliff to DE argument assumes that Ratliff will maintain his 5-7 sack a year totals working farther away from the quarterback. Where's the proof? He has, by my notes, played so few snaps at DE that you can count them on the fingers of one hand. Ratliff did nothing notable in those plays. DE in the 3-4 requires a different skill set from NT on pass downs.

Let's say Dallas is in a base 3-4, and Ratliff is at RDE, across from the left tackle. If the play is a pass and the call is for a four-man rush, and the LOLB opposite Ratliff is rushing, Rat will have to beat the LT, likely to the outside. He doesn't possess the burst and cornering speed of a Bruce Smith or a Shaun Ellis. He's a quickness and power guy. That combination works well against the 300 lb. centers, but is a tougher sell against the 325 lb. LTs, who usually have the best feet on their respective lines.

Anthony Spencer described the problems he and Demarcus Ware face trying to win around the edge when I interviewed him last year, saying that college tackles were beaten once you were one step past them but that pro tackles had superior recovery speed and could frequently negate your rush even when you gained that initial step. A scout I spoke to seconded Spencer's assessment, saying of Ratliff, ''[he] has a better chance against inside players he can out-quick. OTs are used to blocking his types.''

And that represents the risk in moving Ratliff wide. He has 20 sacks in the four seasons that he's been a starter. The Cowboys line's rush production dropped 60% last year, a subject I'll cover in more detail in part II. The goal is regaining that '09 swagger and push. It's been 25 years since an NFL nose produced the type of push Ratliff generates. Take that away, replace him with an inferior nose, put him out of his element, and you've made two positions worse.

Rob Ryan isn't taking that bet.

Next: I look at the rarity of rush NTs, and the ways Ratliff -- and his line mates -- can improve their games.

sbk92

Reaction score
This is the same Mexican who said Rex Ryan's use of Shaun Ellis inside for one playoff game against New England proved that Rob Ryan would want to do that as his base defense.

If that's true, why did Rex have to move Ellis inside for that game? Why isn't he playing there all the time?

The NT gets double teamed more than any other lineman. You want size in the middle. We'll never have a dominant defense as long as Ratliff is playing there.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
This is the same Mexican who said Rex Ryan's use of Shaun Ellis inside for one playoff game against New England proved that Rob Ryan would want to do that as his base defense.

If that's true, why did Rex have to move Ellis inside for that game? Why isn't he playing there all the time?

The NT gets double teamed more than any other lineman. You want size in the middle. We'll never have a dominant defense as long as Ratliff is playing there.

Oh, you mean "dominant", like in 2009 when the defense was second in the NFL in points surrendered?

And who was the NT on that squad?

(Doing the "Hulk Hogan holding hand up to the ear" thing)

sbk92

Reaction score
Oh, you mean "dominant", like in 2009 when the defense was second in the NFL in points surrendered?

And who was the NT on that squad?

(Doing the "Hulk Hogan holding hand up to the ear" thing)

The defense wasn't dominant. As evidenced by their shellacking in the playoffs.

We had top rankings a time or two with Mike Zimmer as coordinator. Never dominant. We've never fielded a Pittsburgh Steelers or Baltimore Ravens type defense.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score

We had top rankings a time or two with Mike Zimmer as coordinator. Never dominant. We've never fielded a Pittsburgh Steelers or Baltimore Ravens type defense.

2nd in the NFL in points given up is a pretty darned good defense... regardless of what happens in the playoffs.

If you're wishin & hopin for some defense to land in Dallas that is going to give up less than 200 points in a season... Well I'd contact boozeman to get some his secret elixir concocted by the Baldwin sisters in order to ease your pain a little.

A defense that gives up 250 points is good enough to win a SB, provided the offense does its part.

sbk92

Reaction score
2nd in the NFL in points given up is a pretty darned good defense... regardless of what happens in the playoffs.

If you're wishin & hopin for some defense to land in Dallas that is going to give up less than 200 points in a season... Well I'd contact boozeman to get some his secret elixir concocted by the Baldwin sisters in order to ease your pain a little.

A defense that gives up 250 points is good enough to win a SB, provided the offense does its part.

Well, wait.....what's the argument? Are you searching for a direction where starting an inferior NT makes sense?

The Saints' pathetic defense was good enough to win a Super Bowl. I'm talking about how you best maximize your potential in a 3-4 defense. And you do that with a big wide bodied NT. Look around the league. They don't start 3-4 ends at NT. Going an entire year without a tackle for loss as a starting NT playing nearly 800 snaps is pathetic. Especially if you're supposed to be a penetrating one gap player. It can't be allowed to happen again.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Well, wait.....what's the argument? Are you searching for a direction where starting an inferior NT makes sense?

The Saints' pathetic defense was good enough to win a Super Bowl. I'm talking about how you best maximize your potential in a 3-4 defense. And you do that with a big wide bodied NT. Look around the league. They don't start 3-4 ends at NT. Going an entire year without a tackle for loss as a starting NT playing nearly 800 snaps is pathetic. Especially if you're supposed to be a penetrating one gap player. It can't be allowed to happen again.

Maybe those other teams do not have the unique talent that Ratliff is?

Do I think Ratliff needs to pick up his game?

You bet.

But if Rob Ryan thinks Ratliff is better at NT than at DE, then his expertise has to be listened to.

sbk92

Reaction score

You bet.

But if Rob Ryan thinks Ratliff is better at NT than at DE, then his expertise has to be listened to.

lol

Yeah. They just don't have a guy with Ratliff's scary talent.

Ratliff's an end on all those defenses. You think the Packers are going to move a stud rock like B.J. Raji out to put in some 300lb lightweight like Ratliff? Never happen.

You can cling to what Rob said. It's what a homer would do. The whole "if the coaches think this, I trust them" approach has worked swimmingly over the last 16 years.

But rather than trust what Oakland and Cleveland's defensive coordinator said in February in a press conference where he also said if we had any weaknesses I certainly wouldn't talk about them, I'll trust what Dick LeBeau, Rex Ryan and Dom Capers have done on the field for years. Not to mention what Rob himself has done on the field before he got here.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
lol

Yeah. They just don't have a guy with Ratliff's scary talent.

Ratliff's an end on all those defenses. You think the Packers are going to move a stud rock like B.J. Raji out to put in some 300lb lightweight like Ratliff? Never happen.

You can cling to what Rob said. It's what a homer would do. The whole "if the coaches think this, I trust them" approach has worked swimmingly over the last 16 years.

But rather than trust what Oakland and Cleveland's defensive coordinator said in February in a press conference where he also said if we had any weaknesses I certainly wouldn't talk about them, I'll trust what Dick LeBeau, Rex Ryan and Dom Capers have done on the field for years. Not to mention what Rob himself has done on the field before he got here.

Well this will be settled whenever the players take to the field again... We'll know who the starting NT is then.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Yeah because that ONE GAME proves it. That's the evidence. I mean those offensive turnovers had nothing to do with the shellacking. Those 6 sacks had nothing to do with it.

sbk92

Reaction score
Well this will be settled whenever the players take to the field again... We'll know who the starting NT is then.

Yes. Because the Cowboys are flawless in their player evaluations.

If they do it, it's the right call.

sbk92

Reaction score
Yeah because that ONE GAME proves it. That's the evidence. I mean those offensive turnovers had nothing to do with the shellacking. Those 6 sacks had nothing to do with it.

You're right. We had a dominant defense.

And then maybe the worst defense in the history of the franchise a year later with the same personnel.

I'm beginning to feel like a special ed teacher.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

You bet.

It's fascinating as to how many of these fools scream and holler about Ratliff needing to be moved to DE even though he is an All-Pro NT, and yet are silent about moving Gurode to Guard, claiming it is a disaster. Ratliff is a better NT than Gurode is at Center. Ryan is probably going to be moving Ratliff around. If he's fine with Ratliff staying at NT, then so be it.

sbk92

Reaction score
It's fascinating as to how many of these fools scream and holler about Ratliff needing to be moved to DE even though he is an All-Pro NT, and yet are silent about moving Gurode to Guard, claiming it is a disaster. Ratliff is a better NT than Gurode is at Center. Ryan is probably going to be moving Ratliff around. If he's fine with Ratliff staying at NT, then so be it.

Gurode doesn't need to be moved. He needs to be phased out.

Ratliff needs to move. Because we shouldn't want to keep fielding an undersized defense and you don't begin to fix that until the rock in the middle is a legit NT.

Ratliff made the pro bowl playing unlike a traditional NT. Shooting one gap and making eye catching plays. It looks good on the stat sheet. But it doesn't free up the players behind him to make plays on a consistent basis to make a 3-4 defense hum. That's the job of a nose tackle.

And even if you're wrong and think he's been good enough, the fact that he's approaching 30 should warrant anyone to want to make this move. He can't continue getting beaten up on and think it won't take his toll. Maybe that's why he played so many snaps this year without a single tackle for loss.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
1. Ratliff is too small, and gets worn down on double teams inside.

I find this one puzzling. Nose guards get a lot of double team work on inside runs, but the nature of run blocking in the NFL these days is to create double-teams at the point of attack. Defensive ends get double-teamed too; if a direct run or trap is going to the edge of a 3-4, the DE will find himself with two blockers in his face. Look at this series of stills from a piece I wrote on the Denver trap, a running play the Eagles used very effectively in their win over Dallas in Cowboys Stadium. Look in particular at stills 3 and 4, where Stephen Bowen is engaged by a guard and tackle.

If NFL OCs perceive you as a weakness in the run game, they'll run at you, no matter where you line up. And when they run at you, they're going to double-team you.

I did some research on NFL linemen and am convinced that Ratliff would wear down faster if he were move to the edge. I looked at every starting NFL center and every starting NFL left tackle and averaged their weights. Keep in mind that Ratliff lists at 303 lbs.

Avg. weight for NFL starting Centers -- 303 lbs.
Number of starting Cs who outweigh Ratliff by 10+ lbs. -- 4 (5 if you count Andre Gurode)

Most of the guys Ratliff faces weigh roughly the same as he does. Maybe one in ten poses a size mismatch. Look at the better centers in the league and you find Ratliff measures up well with them:

Dan Koppen -- 296 lbs.
Nick Mangold -- 305
Maurkice Pouncey -- 304
Shaun O'Hara -- 303
Matt Birk -- 310

If you look at the LTs, it's an entirely different story. Where the percentage of opposing centers who outweigh Ratliff by 10 lbs. is somewhere in the 12% range, that number balloons to near 80% when you look at left tackles. Ratliff would be butting heads for hundreds of downs with guys roughly 20 lbs. heavier than the guys he's facing right now. And he's guaranteed to see double-teams from guards or tight ends on plays to his edge. I don't see any physical benefits from this move.

If Ratliff is getting outweighed by OTs by 20 lbs., then those same OTs are outweighing the OLBs that they face by 60lbs. at least, and that hasn't deterred Ware. And if Ratliff is kicked out to the edge and is still facing double-teams, which in this case would be the OT and OG, and assuming that the NT would also be facing double-teams which would be the Center and the other OG, then that should leave the other DE one on one with the OT and either Ware or Spencer free on a TE or RB. If they want to keep Ratliff at NT, then fine. They at least should find another DE that can also command a double-team.

Top Bottom