sbk92

Reaction score
With the idea that improving their play in the defensive secondary would start by drafting a young prospect at cornerback, many have assumed that the Dallas Cowboys would use the No. 9 overall pick on Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara. However, this might not be as much of a foregone conclusion as it seems.

Tony Pauline of DraftInsider.net reports that the Cowboys aren't going bonkers for Amukamara, and won't use that pick on him. (This is obviously good news for the Washington Redskins and Houston Texans, both of would be happy to add a talented young CB to their rosters). Instead, sources tell Pauline, the team wants to trade down from the ninth pick and draft an offensive tackle to be their new starter at RT. But wait, what about Marc Colombo? According to Pauline's sources, Colombo and Leonard Davis are likely to be cut later this offseason, though Davis could be brought back at a lower salary.

The Cowboys' ability to trade back will be dependent on someone wanting to trade up, and this could depend on one of the Top 2 QBs sliding or another team falling in love with another particular player. But if all goes to plan, the Cowboys' O-line will look a bit different by the time the 2011 season kicks off.

- Tim Kavanagh

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't think Davis will be cut. But who knows. I would love to bring him back at a lower salary.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I thought Davis was being lazy and I think Garrett will demand his best efforts. Colombo had plenty of try but just isn't up to par anymore. Colombo would be the first player I'd replace and then I'd look at left guard. Kosier is a free agent and injury prone.

Reaction score
I'm not sure Davis is cut. If he is, I think the team will try to re-sign him to a cheaper deal. I'd hate to lose him because I think he'll rebound and have a respectable year for us. But his replacement will be drafted either this year or next.

sbk92

Reaction score
What am I spinning? I'm not even in a discussion.

My worst nightmare is drafting an immediate starter who ends up being an inferior player over the length of his career.

Drafting for instant impact is another way of saying draft for need. You never do that under any situation unless you want to be a bad team.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Wouldn't trading down to draft an immediate starter at RT, passing up on the chance to draft a better LT in Tyron Smith, kind of fit that mold?

I'm just pointing out that you would hate that scenario if what I've gathered from our discussion last night is correct.

sbk92

Reaction score
Wouldn't trading down to draft an immediate starter at RT, passing up on the chance to draft a better LT in Tyron Smith, kind of fit that mold?

I'm just pointing out that you would hate that scenario if what I've gathered from our discussion last night is correct.

If the Cowboys trade down, I can only hope they're doing so because they think the value of multiple players is better than the guy they can get at 9.

If they're trading down strictly to get an immediate starter, that's idiotic.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If they're trading down strictly to get an immediate starter, that's idiotic.

Ummm...hello?
page2_g_jjonests_400.jpg

sbk92

Reaction score
I don't know what's so confusing. Year 1 is important, but so is year 2, 3, 4 and so on.

Why would you ever take a short term fix over a long term answer?

Plug holes in free agency. Build your talent level through the draft.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know what's so confusing. Year 1 is important, but so is year 2, 3, 4 and so on.

Why would you ever take a short term fix over a long term answer?

Plug holes in free agency. Build your talent level through the draft.

To me thats another strong feather in Tyron Smith's cap. He's only 20 and is already a very gifted talent. In 2-3-4 yrs you could be looking at a perennial probowler whether its at RT or LT.

He's the best of both worlds IMO. An immediate starter that upgrades a position of serious weakness, along with having tremendous upside for the future.

sbk92

Reaction score
I don't think Smith can be an elite RT. He certainly wasn't a road grading run blocker at USC.

Then again, he's carrying more weight now. If it's good weight, maybe he can.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think Smith can be an elite RT. He certainly wasn't a road grading run blocker at USC.

Then again, he's carrying more weight now. If it's good weight, maybe he can.

I dont think he'll stay at RT regardless of who picks him. I think initially he'd be a RT for us, but eventually move to LT.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Tyrone wouldn't be a good RT if the scheme that the team he plays for calls for him to be a road-grader. In Jason Garrett's offense, right and left tackle are almost interchangeable.

Top Bottom