Reaction score
IRVING, Texas -- As of late Wednesday afternoon, the Cowboys were still awaiting MRI results on rookie offensive tackle Tyron Smith's injured knee. Early indications and reports were a hyperextension, but no official prognosis has been made yet.

One report stated Smith could miss 2-4 weeks. The Cowboys, however, currently still appear to have hope that Smith might be available for Sunday's opener against the Jets.

Smith, the ninth overall pick and projected starting right tackle, left Wednesday's practice and did not return. He was officially listed as "limited" on the team's practice report.

The Cowboys have one backup tackle, Jermey Parnell, and he's still developing after playing only one year of college football as a defensive lineman.

Team owner/GM Jerry Jones said they're comfortable with Parnell as the swing tackle, but it wouldn't be ideal to play him this early in the season. Former 2010 draft pick Sam Young was released and claimed by Buffalo.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
well lets hope for the best...would be awesome if he could play...even Smith being a rookie at 80% or so would be better than Parnell at 100%

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Fuck it. If it comes down to going with Parnell, let's roll with it. People up on here complain about the depth or the lack thereof and say that good teams have depth. Well, you can go and grab a box of cracker jacks and pull ourt depth; it's got to be developed. I wasn't expecting to win against the Jets anyway, so why not put him in, and let the guy get his time in?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Fuck it. If it comes down to going with Parnell, let's roll with it. People up on here complain about the depth or the lack thereof and say that good teams have depth. Well, you can go and grab a box of cracker jacks and pull ourt depth; it's got to be developed. I wasn't expecting to win against the Jets anyway, so why not put him in, and let the guy get his time in?

It's one thing to give young guys their shot. It's a whole other issue when you are one practice injury away from starting a converted basektball player slash defensive lineman to protect your franchise QB. This was bad planning from the get go and now the chickens have come home to roost. In just Week One by the way. Sooner or later, all Cowboy fans will have to admit what our downfall these past several years has been, Al Davis Part Deaux.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's one thing to give young guys their shot. It's a whole other issue when you are one practice injury away from starting a converted basektball player slash defensive lineman to protect your franchise QB. This was bad planning from the get go and now the chickens have come home to roost. In just Week One by the way. Sooner or later, all Cowboy fans will have to admit what our downfall these past several years has been, Al Davis Part Deaux.

I seem to recall that a certain Dlineman for the Cowboys was converted to Olineman, and ended up being one of our great Olinemen of the Cowboys...his name escapes me... Mark Something-with-a-T....Tuinei...yeah that's it.

I don't think Parnell would be put out on his own. He would have help from the TE. We'd have to max protect and that would limit us, but the alternative can be worse.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I seem to recall that a certain Dlineman for the Cowboys was converted to Olineman, and ended up being one of our great Olinemen of the Cowboys...his name escapes me... Mark Something-with-a-T....Tuinei...yeah that's it.

I don't think Parnell would be put out on his own. He would have help from the TE. We'd have to max protect and that would limit us, but the alternative can be worse.

A few differences. Tuinei played 4 years of college football, Parnell played 1. Tuinei also was not one injury away from playing and/or starting at tackle. He only was tried at O Line because of SEVERAL injuries. We didn't go into the season with Tunei being the #2 on the depth chart.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Fwiw espn 103.3 is saying that Jenkins MRI is clear and he can practice tomorrow...

Maybe its a good omen....last time Jenkins did this it was 09 and he had a great year.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Fwiw espn 103.3 is saying that Jenkins MRI is clear and he can practice tomorrow...

Maybe its a good omen....last time Jenkins did this it was 09 and he had a great year.

But then again, maybe not. Why is it taking so long for Smith's results? Have a bad feeling about this.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
But then again, maybe not. Why is it taking so long for Smith's results? Have a bad feeling about this.

It's the exact same for smith...hyperextended knee with a clear MRI......day to day like Garrett said....they both will be rechecked in the morning.

Watkins was just doing what he always does. First with negative or made up stories so he can get on espn tv or get his article on that black hole pro football talk.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
no new info but here was the 6 pm babe report...[video=youtube;ZcGoqAnPC9w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcGoqAnPC9w[/video]

Top Bottom