C

Cr122

Updated: August 13, 2010, 6:25 PM ET

By Mike Reiss
ESPNBoston.com
Archive

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Patriots defensive end Ty Warren's hip injury was serious enough to cost him the 2010 season, as the team placed him on season-ending injured reserve Friday afternoon.

The injury is similar to what New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez had -- a labral tear. The injury is not considered career-threatening, but will require surgery, which Warren said is scheduled for Monday in Vail, Colo.

Losing Warren is a big blow to the Patriots, as he's been a fixture at left defensive end in the team's 3-4 alignment. He has started 92 of 105 games since the Patriots selected him in the first round of the 2003 NFL Draft, recording 496 tackles, 20.5 sacks and four forced fumbles.

"It's a tough break for Ty, but we have to move on," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said Friday. "He's missed quite a bit of time the last couple of years. We've had to deal with that anyway. It's unfortunate, but unfortunately that's part of the game. We'll just move ahead."

Warren's role is unsung, as defensive ends in the team's system are asked to tie up blockers, doing the dirty work for linebackers behind them to make plays.

Veteran Gerard Warren lined up at that spot in Thursday's preseason opener against the New Orleans Saints. Veteran Damione Lewis was the top backup, followed by rookie Kade Weston, a seventh-round draft choice.

Both Gerard Warren and Lewis are playing in a 3-4 defense for the first time of their 10-year careers. Belichick commended Gerard Warren's work in training camp and in Thursday's game.

"I think he's made the transition pretty well," Belichick said. "I think he will have a good ability to contribute for us this year based on what I've seen so far."

As for Lewis, Belichick said, "I think he's coming along and making good progress in our system. I think he can help us this year."

The Patriots don't only lose a sturdy presence on the line of scrimmage without Ty Warren, but also a leader in the locker room.

"The things that he does for the people around him and us, it goes unspoken," defensive line coach Pepper Johnson said Tuesday. "He is a strong character in the locker room. He is a strong character in our meetings. He's a stand-up guy. He's a guy that if he misses a play, or if he blows a play out there on the field, he stands up and says 'that was me and that's not going to happen again.' You can't have enough of those type of guys out on the field."

In placing Warren on injured reserve, the Patriots filled his roster spot by reinstating veteran outside linebacker/rush defensive end Derrick Burgess to the active roster. Burgess, who had not reported to training camp, arrived at the team's facility Friday morning and passed his physical and conditioning test.

"I'm glad he's here," Belichick said.

Mike Reiss covers the Patriots for ESPNBoston.com. Follow him on Twitter.

Top Bottom